[net.consumers] Grass

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (07/10/85)

As I walked down the street from the bus stop yesterday, looking at all
the front lawns on the block, this thought occurred to me:

Grass is *terrible* stuff, unless you can eat it. It needs mowing,
watering, de-weeding, etc., or it turns into a real mess. So why on
earth does every house have a front lawn and a back yard that are full
of *grass*? Why haven't we long ago realized that grass is the wrong
stuff to put around our houses, and chosen instead some nice
low-growing, no-maintenance ground cover that will force out weeds on
its own and let people enjoy their little plots of land instead of
having to slave over them to keep them looking "nice", by an arbitrary
social standard?

[Note: "every house" in the above is poetic license; I know it really
means 99.9999% of suburban and midwest urban houses, plus some large
percentage of others, considering rowhouses and townhouses with no yards
in various urban areas, OK? (This is known as "CYA" in the trade...)]

Possible reasons:
1) There is a vast conspiracy by the grass trust to force all homeowners
into being servants of the entrenched interests.

2) There really is *no* other plant variety/species/type other than
grass that will fit the characteristics needed.

3) We have been brainwashed by the golf and croquet cartels to believe
that "lawn" = "grass-covered" instead of just "plant-covered" patch of
earth, and this has been going on for centuries (reference the stately
homes of England, set admidst rolling grassy stretches). [Hmmm... what
were these golf and croquet people into before there were golf &
croquet?...]

4) Grass is a holdover, like windows that need washing, from the days
when people had servants to do the work for them. We lost the servants,
but retained the stuff that needs servants to keep up...

5) This is all a bad dream.

Well, 1 and 3 seem unlikely, because not enough money is made to support
the conspiracies. 2 seems unlikely, given the diversity of plant species
on this planet -- anyone care to name some contenders for the "grass
replacement"? 4 & 5 seem pretty likely...

Comments, anyone?

Will Martin

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (07/11/85)

> Grass is *terrible* stuff, unless you can eat it. It needs mowing,
> watering, de-weeding, etc., or it turns into a real mess. So why on
> earth does every house have a front lawn and a back yard that are full
> of *grass*? Why haven't we long ago realized that grass is the wrong
> stuff to put around our houses, and chosen instead some nice
> low-growing, no-maintenance ground cover that will force out weeds on
> its own and let people enjoy their little plots of land instead of
> having to slave over them to keep them looking "nice", by an arbitrary
> social standard?

Among the possible reasons, I believe this one:

> 2) There really is *no* other plant variety/species/type other than
> grass that will fit the characteristics needed.

I can think of a few types of ground cover that need less maintenance
than grass, but none of them are particularly nice to walk on.
I'm eager to be proved wrong.

scott@hou2g.UUCP (N. Ersha) (07/11/85)

Yes, I'll venture an opinion or two.

[1] Grass LOOKS nice (of course we could have been
    brainwashed to believe this from our parents,
    but that could be said of anything).  It smells
    nice too, especially when fresh-cut.

[2] Haven't you ever walked barefoot thru a lawn
    of truly thick, well-kept grass?  It feels
    WONDERFUL!

[3] My CATS like to eat it!  (Even if I don't.)

			SJBerry

smuga@mtuxo.UUCP (j.smuga) (07/11/85)

REFERENCES:  <11461@brl-tgr.ARPA>

A few thoughts come to mind:
1. You can walk on grass.  You can sit or lie down on it with
reasonable comfort too.  Is any other ground cover so accomodating?

2. Grass keeps all the lawn mower manufacturers and repairmen in
business, to say nothing of teenage boys who cut grass.

3. A groundcover that is not mowed might have to be weeded, if it is
not dense enough to choke out all weeds.

4. There are prettier groundcovers.  Myrtle produces small violet
flowers, for one.

5. Grass seems to be pretty tolerant of sun and shade - what about
other groundcovers?

Janet Smuga			I've had a great many troubles in my time,
mtuxo!smuga			and most of them never happened.

westerm@ecn-aa.UUCP (Westerman) (07/12/85)

The reason for grass: It is nice to walk on, play football on, and make
love on. Other plants just don't hack it.

    Whom: Rick Westerman                       Phone: +1-317-494-8344
    UUCP: {decvax, ihnp4, seismo, ucbvax}!pur-ee!westerm
    USPS: Ag Data Network, Purdue University, West Lafayette IN 47907

          "Turn right ... no, turn left ... no, turn straight!"

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (07/12/85)

> Grass is *terrible* stuff, unless you can eat it.
I have a friend who used to raise the stuff in flats inside and eat it.
I thought he was a bit nutso, but he seemed to like it.

> Why haven't we long ago realized that grass is the wrong
> stuff to put around our houses, and chosen instead some nice
> low-growing, no-maintenance ground cover that will force out weeds on
> its own and let people enjoy their little plots of land instead of
> having to slave over them to keep them looking "nice", by an arbitrary
> social standard?
"We" did realize this long ago, but have just forgotten it recently.  I
think that there is a section on lawns in a book by the name of "Enjoy
Your Weeds" (or something like that - it's been a while.  And no, they
are not talking about the hemp weed).  Apparently, chamomile and various
other herbs, as well as clover, etc. were commonly used for ground cover
in the preceding century.  Grass was considered a weed and pulled on sight.

> Will Martin

As for reasons, maybe the fact that it grows like a weed and is also
very tolerant of drought made it a popular choice by those who didn't wish
to spend hours picking the grass out of their lawn (if you can't beat 'em,
join 'em).  I must agree that I consider it extremely stupid that most
folks try to maintain a grass lawn in Florida.  And the most common
alternative I've seen there is a *pebble* "lawn".  Yuch!  Talk about hot!
I personally plan to make jungle....
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

desjardins@h-sc1.UUCP (marie desjardins) (07/12/85)

Grass sure is nice to sit on!

	marie

andyb@dartvax.UUCP (Andy Behrens) (07/12/85)

> So why on earth does every house have a front lawn and a back yard that
> are full of *grass*?  Why haven't we ... chosen instead some nice
> low-growing, no-maintenance ground cover that will force out weeds on
> its own and let people enjoy their little plots of land...?
>
> Will Martin

Do what I do:  let it grow until it's two feet high, then have one of
my neighbors come over with his haying machine, tie it in bales, and
take it away for his cows. :-)

					Andy Behrens
					Union Village, Vermont

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (07/12/85)

> Grass is *terrible* stuff, unless you can eat it. It needs mowing,
> watering, de-weeding, etc., or it turns into a real mess. So why on
> earth does every house have a front lawn and a back yard that are full
> of *grass*? Why haven't we long ago realized that grass is the wrong
> stuff to put around our houses, and chosen instead some nice
> low-growing, no-maintenance ground cover that will force out weeds on
> its own and let people enjoy their little plots of land instead of
> having to slave over them to keep them looking "nice", by an arbitrary
> social standard?

I think clover looks much nicer than grass myself and it is certainly
much easier to maintain.  Dandelions look nice when there is a whole
bunch of them, and they are edible when they are young.

> Possible reasons:
> 1) There is a vast conspiracy by the grass trust to force all homeowners
> into being servants of the entrenched interests.

I like reason 1.  There is quite a bit of money to be made out of this
lawn business since grass is such a fragile thing.  I think lawns probably
developped as a way to flaunt one's fortune (one must have servants to
maintain a lawn).  Lawns are a bit like white bread, unhealthy status symbols.
--
Sophie Quigley
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

betsy@dartvax.UUCP (Betsy Hanes Perry) (07/12/85)

> Grass is *terrible* stuff, unless you can eat it. It needs mowing,
> watering, de-weeding, etc., or it turns into a real mess. So why on

Ayup.  I'd rather have a meadow myself (i.e. grass, wildflowers, about
one foot high) but suburban neighbors are apt to disapprove.  The other
night I heard a suburbanite on the nightly news describing how nice
her neighborhood used to be.  Her example?  "Everybody mowed their lawns."

Blecch!
As alternative groundcovers (low-growing), my choices would be:
Corsican mint
Creeping thymes
Camomile
other creeping herbs.    The Elizabethans were fond of planting walking gardens,
with sweet-smelling herbs as paths.

Of course, I doubt the Elizabethans played dodge-ball on these gardens!
I don't know of many ground-covers tough enough to withstand gameplaying
except perhaps quack grass.
--
Elizabeth Hanes Perry
UUCP: {decvax |ihnp4 | linus| cornell}!dartvax!betsy

seb@mtgzz.UUCP (s.e.badian) (07/13/85)

	Grass is also good ecologically. I saw an article in
Smithsonian a number of years ago that said that grass lawns
were a boon to many common animals. For instance, the robin
we all know and love is really a woodland bird, but it flourishes
in suburbia because of the grass lawns. The same could probably
be said of rabbits(though I bet a lot of people would like to get
rid of them). The article said that meter for meter the "suburban
grassland" was one of the richest ecosystems in North America.
Probably because of all that expensive fertilizer we dump on it!
	In a similar vein, the deforestation of the Northeast
was a boon to whitetail deer. Their population has steadily increased
since the pilgrams arrived. Deer obviously benefit from a nice
lawn, though they are limited mostly to rural lawns.
	So next time you talk about replacing your lawn with marble
chips think about all the poor robins, bunnies and field mice you'll
be upsetting!

Sharon Badian
ihnp4!mtgzz!seb

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (07/13/85)

I've seen yards covered with ivy.  Nice variation.

I'm moving into a house next week with a yard covered in bark-chips.
(Bark as in tree-bark.  Lots of lumber industry around here.)

This will allow more time for getting myself in trouble via
stupid netnews postings.  :-)

Snoopy
tektronix!hammer!seifert

cat@tommif.UUCP (Catherine Mikkelsen) (07/15/85)

In article <3341@dartvax.UUCP>, betsy@dartvax.UUCP (Betsy Hanes Perry) writes:
> I don't know of many ground-covers tough enough to withstand gameplaying
> except perhaps quack grass.

Again, I mention the quaint Californian (southern, that is) custom of
merely paving one's front yard with, say concrete, and then covering said
concrete with -- -- -- ASTROTURF!!!!  A few red and blue spray painted
rocks and, say, we're having fun now!!!

Catherine Mikkelsen
decwrl!greipa!tommif!cat

"I've always felt really good about my father even though he was
a junkie and a slimy person"

McKenzie Phillips in PEOPLE Magazine
(honest)

gene@batman.UUCP (Gene Mutschler) (07/15/85)

> Grass is *terrible* stuff, unless you can eat it. It needs mowing,
> watering, de-weeding, etc., or it turns into a real mess. So why on
> earth does every house have a front lawn and a back yard that are full
> of *grass*? Why haven't we long ago realized that grass is the wrong
> stuff to put around our houses, and chosen instead some nice
> low-growing, no-maintenance ground cover that will force out weeds on
> its own and let people enjoy their little plots of land instead of
> having to slave over them to keep them looking "nice", by an arbitrary
> social standard?
>
> Comments, anyone?
> Will Martin
> USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

I agree and am fortunate enough to live in (what has been until recently)
a semi-rural area.  When my house was built, they just cleared enough land
for the house and septic tank; and they didn't set up for a lawn.  Having
just moved from California, where my water bill was $25 for a tiny lot,
to a 3/4 acre lot, I was concerned about the ultimate viability of a
large grass lot, with respect to water.  Not to mention I don't much
like the idea of mowing 3/4 acre lots.  So, I left it pretty much the
way it was: I did get a Weed Eater(TM) so that I could encourage the plants
I liked (the justly famous Texas wildflowers) and cut down the ones
I didn't like (the equally (in)famous Johnson grass and wild carrot).

My water bill is 6.36 per month, which is the minimum where I live.
My neighbor just put in a huge lawn, complete with sprinkler system; not
only is the sprinkler system going most of the time, so is the mower.
Fortunately for him so far this year we had a lot of rain, unlike last
year, when watering restrictions would have prevented him from running
his sprinklers 4 days out of 5.

Now, they even have a name for this form of dry-land lawn raising:
Xeriscape.  The Austin Nature Center (or somebody here in town) even
teaches courses in it.  The folks in California who are about to lose
most of the Colorado River water ought to check it out.

Gene Mutschler			Burroughs Corp, Austin Research Center
{ihnp4, etc.}ut-sally!oakhill!cyb-eng!batman!gene

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (07/15/85)

> I must agree that I consider it extremely stupid that most folks try to
> maintain a grass lawn in Florida.  And the most common alternative I've
> seen there is a *pebble* "lawn".  Yuch!  Talk about hot!  I personally plan
> to make jungle....

Well, you have to consider that the ground here is made entirely of sand,
except for some organic matter from dead plants in some places (or a lot of
organic matter in the swamps); and that if you don't plant something here,
depending on whether your plot of ground is in a swamp or on dry (or dried)
land, you will either get a lot of "natural" grass mixed with ordinary
weeds, or a mess of palmettos (both of which are very common in currently
idle plots of land around where I live).

Actually there is a kind of grass, "St Augustine" grass (my house-owning
officemate tells me that is its name), which grows VERY well here; while I
live in an apartment, I have observed that the groundskeepers of our
apartment complex have to do very little work to keep this grass growing
well.  It is not particularly soft grass, compared to what we used to have
in Georgia when I was growing up (although it is much softer than zoysia
(or however you spell that)), but it is very thick and durable.

If you make a jungle, as you suggested, you will have some amazing forms
of wildlife in there... alligators, poisonous snakes, "palmetto bugs" 3 or
4 inches long, spiny caterpillars... and of course, these infernal fire
ants (which also appear on lawns, however, and which are the worst insects
I have ever encountered anywhere).
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

	    [But, at the time you are reading this, probably in New Jersey]

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (07/15/85)

Having been a suburban grass farmer for the past 15 years, I
kind of feel like my father now who threatened every year to
cover the whole place with cement and paint it green.  He even
wanted to paint flowers along the borders.  Sigh, ever try to get
a 14 year old to mow the lawn just once in awhile.  After all,
what are kids for anyway |-).
T. C. Wheeler

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) (07/16/85)

> As I walked down the street from the bus stop yesterday, looking at all
> the front lawns on the block, this thought occurred to me:
>
> Grass is *terrible* stuff, unless you can eat it. It needs mowing,
> watering, de-weeding, etc., or it turns into a real mess. So why on
> earth does every house have a front lawn and a back yard that are full
> of *grass*? Why haven't we long ago realized that grass is the wrong
> stuff to put around our houses, and chosen instead some nice
> low-growing, no-maintenance ground cover that will force out weeds on
> its own and let people enjoy their little plots of land instead of
> having to slave over them to keep them looking "nice", by an arbitrary
> social standard?

I suspect that one reason is that grass is easy to get started.  A great
many things are the way they are because they are easily built that way.
Maintenance is usually not considered (like cars that have to be jacked
up to change the oil filter).  Another reason is cultural, like wearing
ties and jackets in a hot climate.

With the right seed, enough watering, and a couple of mowings, you can
get a decent looking lawn is less than two weeks.  The builder sells it
to you any you get to worry about the weeds that come later.  Sod
doesn't change this as they still have to grow the grass somewhere, and
the quicker it grows, the better.  I would bet that all the alternatives
take longer and more labor to get started.

On the cultural side many of our customs are based on a colder climate
(ties and jackets, wool clothing, etc.).  In these areas grass IS better
than all the alternatives.  Six feet of snow for 5 months will kill any
type of ground cover.  After it all melts you can get grass started
cheaply and quickly.  Northern people don't have to mow their lawns
twice a week.

In southern areas I have seen many kinds of alternate "lawns".  Several
had the entire lawn covered in Boston fern.

In Florida I lived in a house where part of the lawn NEVER needed
mowing.  It always stayed putting green height, never had weeds and was
nice to walk on.  Needless to say I would have loved to spread this out
to the rest of the lawn.  The problem was it didn't spread,  never went
to seed.  I suspect that varity of grass is just to difficult to get
established.

The ideal lawn cover grows fast but grows very slowly.

				Jerry Aguirre @ Olivetti ATC
{hplabs|fortune|idi|ihnp4|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!jerry

gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) (07/16/85)

--
> Grass sure is nice to sit on!
>
> 	marie

Yes, a wonderful plant it is.  Just think, when you mow your lawn,
you're not mowing new leaves every time.  Most plants simply grow
new leaves to replace damaged ones.  But cut grass leaves grow right
back.  Such a marvelously passive defense it has evolved against
being eaten.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

reid@Glacier.ARPA (Brian Reid) (07/16/85)

In article <3341@dartvax.UUCP> betsy@dartvax.UUCP (Betsy Hanes Perry) writes:
>As alternative groundcovers (low-growing), my choices would be:

As I mentioned in a previous article, I have done some experimenting with
alternative groundcovers here in Northern California. I got out my notes to
make sure I didn't forget anything, and as a result I can include the Latin
names for these plants. This is less of a conceit than you might think; for
example, the plant called "Creeping Thyme" in some parts of the country is
called "Wooly Thyme" in others. Anyhow, here are my comments. Your results
will certainly be different in different climates.

>Corsican mint

We found that Corsican mint (Mentha requienii) is just too sensitive to
overheating and drying out. I absolutely love the appearance and smell of
Corsican mint, and every year I try planting some more, but it always dies
quickly unless we water it every day, and even twice a day in the heat of
summer. Since one of the reasons we wanted to plant alternative ground cover
was to save water, this seemed like a loss.  According to the garden books,
if you can get a bed of Corsican mint established it will be
drought-resistant (this is why I keep planting it even though it keeps
dying), but I have not yet succeeded in getting it to last through a summer.
Now that I have my ultra-high-tech 8088-based automatic doo-wah-diddy
sprinkler/mister/drip-irrigation system in place, I am hoping for better
results with this Fall's annual ritual Corsican mint planting. The plants
are going to look like an accident victim in an ICU, with tubes running
everywhere bringing life-support fluids.

>Creeping thymes

Creeping thyme (Thymus lanuginosus; known some places as wooly thyme) is
quite nice. We had about 200 square feet of it for several years. I finally
dug it up and replaced it with Chamomile this past autumn because it is is
ecologically unequipped to compete with weeds. Creeping thyme is too much of
a nice-guy plant, and various unseemly things like oxalis and bermudagrass
were taking over completely.

>Camomile

This one is the winner (Chamaemelum nobile). See my earlier posting on the
subject.

>other creeping herbs.

We've tried Silver thyme (Thymus serpyllum; known some places as creeping
thyme). We still have about 100 square feet of it. It's nice, except that as
the plants get older, they develop woody stems that are no fun to walk on.

We have a ring of Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) around the outside of
our yard. Rosemary is a very aggressive plant, and I fear that we might have
to call the National Guard to beat it back into submission and prevent it
from taking over the whole yard. It is not suitable for walking on (it has a
texture reminiscent of the Juniper bushes that I grew up with, but it's
about 6 inches high).

Those are all of the creeping herbs that I have been able to find. If
anybody knows about any more I would be delighted to try them out in our
Ground Cover Agriculture Experiment Station, i.e. our back yard.
--
	Brian Reid	decwrl!glacier!reid
	Stanford	reid@SU-Glacier.ARPA

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (07/16/85)

In article <114@tommif.UUCP> cat@tommif.UUCP (Catherine Mikkelsen) writes:
>Again, I mention the quaint Californian (southern, that is) custom of
>merely paving one's front yard with, say concrete, and then covering said
>concrete with -- -- -- ASTROTURF!!!!  A few red and blue spray painted
>rocks and, say, we're having fun now!!!

Not in _my_ end of Southern California you  don't.  The  road  maintenanace
department  once  tried  to  put astroturf and plastic bushes on the median
strips here.  The locals protested loudly and finally resorted to vandalism
(gasoline  is  just  as  hard  on  astroturf as it is on real grass).  They
wouldn't let up even when the city pointed out that there wasn't sufficient
depth of soil on the strip for grass or the pipes to water it.

Score one for Southern California esthetics.
---
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                      Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) <504@oliveb.UUCP>:

>The ideal lawn cover grows fast but grows very slowly.
>
>				Jerry Aguirre @ Olivetti ATC
>{hplabs|fortune|idi|ihnp4|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!jerry

??????????????

eric@rtech.UUCP (Eric Lundblad) (07/17/85)

> As I walked down the street from the bus stop yesterday, looking at all
> the front lawns on the block, this thought occurred to me:
>
> Grass is *terrible* stuff, unless you can eat it. It needs mowing,
> watering, de-weeding, etc., or it turns into a real mess. So why on
> earth does every house have a front lawn and a back yard that are full
> of *grass*? Why haven't we long ago realized that grass is the wrong
> stuff to put around our houses, and chosen instead some nice
> low-growing, no-maintenance ground cover that will force out weeds on
> its own and let people enjoy their little plots of land instead of
> having to slave over them to keep them looking "nice", by an arbitrary
> social standard?

	I always figured that it provided visable proof that the person that
lives at such and such a house works hard and is successful. I mean, if s/he has
a hard to grow plant that still looks good in front of his house then he must
be doing something right, right?

--

			Eric Lundblad
		   ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!eric

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (07/17/85)

>> I must agree that I consider it extremely stupid that most folks try to
>> maintain a grass lawn in Florida.  And the most common alternative I've
>> seen there is a *pebble* "lawn".  Yuch!  Talk about hot!  I personally plan
>> to make jungle....
>
> Well, you have to consider that the ground here is made entirely of sand,
> except for some organic matter from dead plants in some places (or a lot of
> organic matter in the swamps); and that if you don't plant something here,
> depending on whether your plot of ground is in a swamp or on dry (or dried)
> land, you will either get a lot of "natural" grass mixed with ordinary
> weeds, or a mess of palmettos (both of which are very common in currently
> idle plots of land around where I live).
>
> Actually there is a kind of grass, "St Augustine" grass (my house-owning
> officemate tells me that is its name), which grows VERY well here; while I
> live in an apartment, I have observed that the groundskeepers of our
> apartment complex have to do very little work to keep this grass growing
> well.  It is not particularly soft grass, compared to what we used to have
> in Georgia when I was growing up (although it is much softer than zoysia
> (or however you spell that)), but it is very thick and durable.

Yeah.  The stuff is considered a weed elsewhere, but it is perfect for Fl.
Still, you have to water it if you want it to be green all year.  Considering
the fact that the phosphate industry is sucking water out of the aquifer so
fast that in some places the aquifer water level was 100 feet *below* sea
level (as of 5 years ago, maybe worse now.  BTW, the phosphate is being mined
for agricultural use - see the second digit on the chemical fertilizer bag
if you wander where it all goes), and the increasing pressure of
the exploding population for water has placed on the ecology there, why is
it necessary for everyone to have grass lawns?

> If you make a jungle, as you suggested, you will have some amazing forms
> of wildlife in there... alligators, poisonous snakes, "palmetto bugs" 3 or
> 4 inches long, spiny caterpillars... and of course, these infernal fire
> ants (which also appear on lawns, however, and which are the worst insects
> I have ever encountered anywhere).

When I was growing up (in Fl) we had a jungle in the back yard.  Not too many
poisonous snakes, no alligators, megaroaches, many birds (including a
pileated woodpecker), racoons, 'possums.  We had short, spiny caterpillars
that had a sting that not only hurt like fire (I mean drop everything and
sprint to the nearest medicine chest yelling like you wanted a third encore by
the Grateful Dead) but also made body parts distant from the sting crawl like
your skin might when fingernails are scraped on a blackboard, only it doesn't
stop.  These were confined to the more conventional front yard.  Fire ants
seem to actually *prefer* grasslands.  My point is that in Florida (and most
places, in fact) the ground water is becoming a scarce resource (wanna see a
sinkhole?  just suck the water out of the limestone caves under your house).
The main problems for maintaining comfortable human life there are providing
relief from sun and heat.  There is ample rainwater over the course of a
year, but the sandy soil drains quickly and the intense sunlight evaporates
surface water rapidly as well.  The solution is to have many shade trees and
some of the wide variety of bushes and other undergrowth that thrives in the
partial shade (shade in Florida is more intense than unobscured light most
days around here)  It does not have to look ugly, it does not have to totally
exclude grass, it does not have to be impenitrable, and while it will be host
to a variety of insect life, that's just a fact of life in Fl.  Besides, it
will attract other interesting forms of life (see birds above).  The
advantages are that it stays cooler (visit Jungle Gardens or Sunken Gardens
on a really hot day for an education in the airconditioning value of a few
trees); the ground does not dry out nearly as fast; it can be much more
private (I don't generally make love on the grass in the yard, but with a
reasonable growth of trees, vines, bushes, etc. with a few small, open
places ....); it reduces noise from roads and neighbors; it looks great
without having to suck on the aquifer every day (once a week usually did it,
if there was no rain); it is less work to maintain than a lawn (hack it back
a little once or twice a year); it can smell much nicer than most lawns I've
ever met; .....  The only problem is it takes years to get the growth to a
good state if you have to start from scratch (like where the #&*$%@!!
buldozers have leveled everything and developers put up crackerbox houses).
Nemo
PS: How about that other famous Fl. grass, the sandspur?
--

dnc@bonnie.UUCP (Don Corey) (07/17/85)

> Again, I mention the quaint Californian (southern, that is) custom of
> merely paving one's front yard with, say concrete, and then covering said
> concrete with -- -- -- ASTROTURF!!!!  A few red and blue spray painted
> rocks and, say, we're having fun now!!!

Here in New Jersey were it is pretty damp, mold would grow on the atroturf
and it would start to smell bad.

bill@persci.UUCP (07/17/85)

>Again, I mention the quaint Californian (southern, that is) custom of
>merely paving one's front yard with, say concrete, and then covering said
>concrete with -- -- -- ASTROTURF!!!!  A few red and blue spray painted
>rocks and, say, we're having fun now!!!
>Catherine Mikkelsen >decwrl!greipa!tommif!cat

There is a house on a boulevard (a *real* boulevard, one of those streets with
the islands down the middle, not a California boulevard, which is just another
name for street) in Santa Cruz, CA (North) where the owners have filled in the
entire yard with colored gravel and built a mound of rock in the middle with
a PINK push-mower on top, with a sign "R.I.P." on the mound. Right in the
front yard! Tacky, but funny.

--
Bill Swan 	{ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

setha@teklds.UUCP (Seth D. Alford) (07/18/85)

I visited Tucson, Arizona, once.  I saw pebble and rock "lawns".  I also
saw a lot of dried brown grass lawns.  And I even saw a dried brown grass
lawn that had been painted green.  You could tell it had been painted
because part of the sidewalk was green too.

--
--Seth Alford
Tektronix Walker Road

westerm@ecn-aa.UUCP (Westerman) (07/18/85)

In article <504@oliveb.UUCP> jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) writes:

>On the cultural side many of our customs are based on a colder climate
>(ties and jackets, wool clothing, etc.).  In these areas grass IS better
>than all the alternatives.  Six feet of snow for 5 months will kill any
>type of ground cover.  After it all melts you can get grass started
>cheaply and quickly.  Northern people don't have to mow their lawns
>twice a week.

Yep, I live in Indiana and mow my grass once every two or three weeks. That's
not much of a hassle at all.

>In Florida I lived in a house where part of the lawn NEVER needed
>mowing.  It always stayed putting green height, never had weeds and was
>nice to walk on.  Needless to say I would have loved to spread this out
>to the rest of the lawn.  The problem was it didn't spread,  never went
>to seed.  I suspect that varity of grass is just to difficult to get
>established.
>
>The ideal lawn cover grows fast but grows very slowly.

Want to make a fortune? Develop grass that grows to 2-3" on any type of
soil and will survive winter. Of course all the lawn mower salespeople
& repairpeople will be rather upset with you ...

    Whom: Rick Westerman                       Phone: +1-317-494-8344
    UUCP: {decvax, ihnp4, seismo, ucbvax}!pur-ee!westerm
    USPS: Ag Data Network, Purdue University, West Lafayette IN 47907

          "Turn right ... no, turn left ... no, turn straight!"

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (07/21/85)

Why do we have grass lawns?  My guess is that this tradition began in England,
where grass is easily grown due to the damp, rainy climate.  The New Englanders
copied the tradition, which was OK, since it's damp and rainy there, as well.

In the United States, the old Anglo-Saxon families have the highest social
status.  These families, concentrated in New England, trace their ancestry
to England proper.  In an effort appear "high class", people in other areas
of the country attempt to copy this old, established aristocracy.  One such
means is the attempt to cultivate thick, grassy lawns, even in climates where
this is not appropriate.

	Frank Silbermann

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (07/21/85)

>Again, I mention the quaint Californian (southern, that is) custom of
>merely paving one's front yard with, say concrete, and then covering said
>concrete with -- -- -- ASTROTURF!!!!  A few red and blue spray painted
>rocks and, say, we're having fun now!!!

>>I visited Tucson, Arizona, once.  I saw pebble and rock "lawns".  I also
>>saw a lot of dried brown grass lawns.  And I even saw a dried brown grass
>>lawn that had been painted green.  You could tell it had been painted
>>because part of the sidewalk was green too.

>>>where the owners have filled in the
>>>entire yard with colored gravel and built a mound of rock in the middle with
>>>a PINK push-mower on top, with a sign "R.I.P." on the mound. Right in the
>>>front yard! Tacky, but funny.

I agree that astroturf and painted dead grass are tacky.  But don't knock
pebble lawns without knowing the situation in the area.  Many people in
wet areas of the country are unaware of the social and economic aspects of
a lack of water.

Here in Colorado, the aquifers are rapidly becoming depleted.  We are lucky
to get 15 or so inches of rain a year.  The mountains sit up there so green
and lovely that people forget that the Front Range is a DESERT.  In some
parts of the Metropolitan Denver area it costs $3000 for a tap permit to hook
your new house up to the water system.  IT SHOULD.  More and more people are
moving here (because of the obvious wonderful things about the area, I might
add--I am one of those people, and I love it here), and the water is not
increasing with the population.  I would think that the problem is even more
acute in Tucson.

There was water rationing in Denver until last year.  It is now voluntary.  My
own view is that it should be enforced--if for no other reason than to make
people think about the situation.  We are probably sitting on a time bomb
here.  So those people with rock lawns (yes, and even astroturf--gack) are
really socially responsible folks.

There is also the cost.  I live in a very expensive water area, because of
a new treatment plant that experienced cost overruns.  But my experience
is not too out of line to serve as an example.  It can cost $200 or more
to water our lawn each month in the summer.  Yes, we have a grass lawn.  It
was here when we arrived and we both love grass so much we can't bear to
do away with it.   Many ground covers will not live here, or take as much
watering as grass.  (Of course some are ok--we are looking into that.  We
would be interested in any information on low water-using ground covers.
Ones that will survive a hard winter, also, of course.)

I have seen some quite attractive rock/sand/cactus lawns.  I have also seen
some eyesores.  It is like anything else--it takes good taste to arrange
properly.  Red and blue rocks don't quite cut it in the taste department.
The worst thing about rock and sand are that they are hot in the summer.

How about a Zen raked-sand/rock garden?

--

                                     Sue Brezden

Real World: Room 1B17                Net World: ihnp4!drutx!slb
            AT&T Information Systems
            11900 North Pecos
            Westminster, Co. 80234
            (303)538-3829

        Your god may be dead, but mine aren't.

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (07/24/85)

In article <559@ttidcc.UUCP> hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) writes:
>Not in _my_ end of Southern California you  don't.  The  road  maintenanace
>department  once  tried  to  put astroturf and plastic bushes on the median
>strips here.  The locals protested loudly and finally resorted to vandalism.

In North San Diego county, where I went to high school, they one-upped even
astroturf.  The road medians are first covered with a thin coat of gravel,
and then PAINTED GREEN.  If you don't look close at it, it looks nice.
No maintenence (perhaps they repaint it every few years) and I'll bet
even gasoline doesn't bother it.  I wouldn't want to walk on it, though.

dsn@tove.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) (07/24/85)

In article <3308@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:
> ... Many ground covers will not live here, or take as much
>watering as grass.  (Of course some are ok--we are looking into that.  We
>would be interested in any information on low water-using ground covers.
>Ones that will survive a hard winter, also, of course.)
>
>I have seen some quite attractive rock/sand/cactus lawns.  I have also seen
>some eyesores.  It is like anything else--it takes good taste to arrange
>properly.  Red and blue rocks don't quite cut it in the taste department.
>The worst thing about rock and sand are that they are hot in the summer.
>
>How about a Zen raked-sand/rock garden?

How about kudzu?  I'm sure a lot of people in the Southeast would be glad to
send you some free!  :-)
--

Dana S. Nau,  Computer Science Dept.,  U. of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742
ARPA:  dsn@maryland				CSNet:  dsn@umcp-cs

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (07/24/85)

In article <drutx.3308> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:
>I have seen some quite attractive rock/sand/cactus lawns.  I have also seen
>some eyesores.  It is like anything else--it takes good taste to arrange
>properly.

Rocks, sand and cactus?  That's one way to keep kids from playing
in your yard.

	Frank Silbermann

davidson@sdcsvax.UUCP (Greg Davidson) (07/24/85)

Our back lawn used to be dichondra, and it was lovely stuff; much
more pleasant than grass to walk or lay on.  It is more delicate than
grass, but not so much as commonly believed; it can take a fair amount
of foot traffic.  It needs far less weeding (since you can use chemicals
that suppress all monocots, incl. grasses) and needs mowing only once a
month.  However, you have to keep up with it, treating it for fungus,
flea beatles, etc., without fail.  We got busy and neglected it for a
month and it died over the next three, despite heavy care.

Dichondra does require much more water than grass.  Because we anticipate
future water shortages in San Diego, we decided to switch to grass.  I now
regret this decision and may switch back anyway.

_Greg Davidson			Virtual Infinity Systems, San Diego

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (07/25/85)

> Why do we have grass lawns?  My guess is that this tradition began in England,
> where grass is easily grown due to the damp, rainy climate.  ...
>                 ... In an effort appear "high class", people in other areas
> of the country attempt to copy this old, established aristocracy.  One such
> means is the attempt to cultivate thick, grassy lawns, even in climates where
> this is not appropriate.

Sort of like the tendency to wear long trousers in Houston, a climate in which
this is definitely not appropriate.
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (07/25/85)

> Why do we have grass lawns?
For an even more speculative answer, I recall a study in which people from
all over the world in all kinds of habitats were shown slides of various
ecosystems (mountains, forests, beaches, plains, etc) and asked which one
was the most relaxing.  The *majority* (not just more than chose any of the
others) chose *grasslands* with the occaisional tree (like the seringetti
(sp) of Africa).  The study went on to conclude that this indicated that
this was man's original home (hence, Dr. Leaky is right about Africa being
the cradle of mankind) and that the modern preoccupation with lawns is an
attempt to bring a piece of that 'home' to the place we live now.  Pretty
big leaps, eh?
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo
Phone:		[USA] (716) 275-5766 work, 232-4690 home
USMail:		104 Tremont Circle; Rochester, NY  14608
School:		Department of Computer Science; University of Rochester;
		Rochester, NY  14627

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (07/26/85)

< follow that tangent! >
> ...  The road medians are first covered with a thin coat of gravel,
> and then PAINTED GREEN.  If you don't look close at it, it looks nice.

What about drainage (or is this not a problem?)  In the opposite direction,
I have seen some signs of intelligence in the park engineers in Pinellas
County, Florida.  There, 70 - 80 inches of rain annually are not uncommon,
and simply flushing rainwater into the sewage system is not desirable (it
is needed for the aquifer and the sewage systems are already overloaded).
So they paved the parking lot with cinder blocks layed on their sides so
the holes were vertical.  These were then filled to within an inch or two
from the top, and grass, etc. allowed to grow in them.  They are lots
cooler than asphalt and don't look to bad (especially from underneath).
I expect that they were also much cheaper than the usual paving technique.
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo
Phone:		[USA] (716) 275-5766 work, 232-4690 home
USMail:		104 Tremont Circle; Rochester, NY  14608
School:		Department of Computer Science; University of Rochester;
		Rochester, NY  14627

>Our back lawn used to be dichondra, and it was lovely stuff; much
>more pleasant than grass to walk or lay on.  It is more delicate than
>of foot traffic.  It needs far less weeding (since you can use chemicals
>month.  However, you have to keep up with it, treating it for fungus,
>
>_Greg Davidson			Virtual Infinity Systems, San Diego

You LAY on that stuff with all that chemical treatment?  Myself, I'd prefer
a chemical-free grass/weed lawn for that purpose.
|         an engihacker @        |  ployer, my pets, my plants, my boss, or the
| at&t computer systems division |  s.a. of any computer upon which I may hack.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------     or: ..!ihnp4!iheds!ttbcad!levy

bill@persci.UUCP (07/28/85)

In article <10723@rochester.UUCP> nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) writes:
>< follow that tangent! >
>[...]
>So they paved the parking lot with cinder blocks layed on their sides so
>the holes were vertical.  These were then filled to within an inch or two
>from the top, and grass, etc. allowed to grow in them.  They are lots
>cooler than asphalt and don't look to bad (especially from underneath).
>[...]
>Nemo

Huh? From underneath?? Twenty thousand leagues underneath, perhaps, Cap'n?
--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

bob@nbires.UUCP (Bob Bruck) (08/01/85)

In article <10695@rochester.UUCP> nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) writes:
> Why do we have grass lawns?

It seems obvious to me.  We Americans have an abundance of land and free time
to work the land for show.  If I'm not mistaken, the word lawn came from
launder - through which it means "to clean up the land".  Just like gardens
elsewhere, lawns are a way for us to show our wealth and grandeur.

					Bob Bruck
					NBI Inc.    Boulder, Co.
					(hao | allegra | ...)!nbires!bob

dyer@vaxuum.DEC (This did not happen to/Pablo Picasso) (08/05/85)

Re: Grass_______________________________________________________________________

	I hate power mowers.  They're a waste of non-renewable fuel, they pol-
lute, they're dangerous, and they're far too noisy.  I hate the whole idea of
"keeping up with the Joneses," especially since America uses more fertilizer for
its lawns than India does for food!  Finally, I find antiseptic rolling fields
of untouchable green grass aesthetically revolting.
	But most of all, I hate power mowers.
	Perhaps it's my hatred of power mowers that led me to invent Dyer's
Rule of Lawnmowing:  You don't need more lawn than that which you will mow with
a manual lawn mower.  If you use your lawn for, let's say, volleyball, then
you've got the strength to manually mow the volleyball field.
	What about the rest of the property?  I guess the first thing to do is
to keep the developers [sic] from knocking down every tree on the lot before
they put up a house (which appears to be standard operating procedure in these
parts).  The rest can be planted with vegetables, herbs, and wildflowers in an
organic self-regenerative way.  (Has anybody read _The_One_Straw_Revolution_?)
		<_Jym_>

:::::::::::::::: Jym Dyer
::::'  ::  `:::: Dracut, Massachusetts
::'    ::    `::
::     ::     :: DYER%VAXUUM.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
::   .::::.   :: {allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vaxuum!dyer
::..:' :: `:..::
::::.  ::  .:::: Statements made in this article are my own; they might not
:::::::::::::::: reflect the views of |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| Equipment Corporation.

galenr@iddic.UUCP (Galen Redfield) (08/15/85)

In article <449@nbires.UUCP> bob@nbires.UUCP (Bob Bruck) writes:
>In article <10695@rochester.UUCP> nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) writes:
>> Why do we have grass lawns?
>
>It seems obvious to me.  We Americans have an abundance of land and free time
>to work the land for show.  If I'm not mistaken, the word lawn came from
>launder - through which it means "to clean up the land".  Just like gardens
>elsewhere, lawns are a way for us to show our wealth and grandeur.
>
>					Bob Bruck
>					NBI Inc.    Boulder, Co.
>					(hao | allegra | ...)!nbires!bob

It seemed so obvious to me that I used a dictionary.  Either  you
are  wrong,  or Webster's made something up to fill the etymology
entry for one or both of these words.  They  think  that  laundry
came  from  the  Latin word for "to wash," whereas lawn came from
the Middle French word for heath (heather), dervied from the  Old
Irish word "land," meaning "open space."

Americans are almost as good at making up  explanations  as  they
are  at  showing  off their wealth and grandeur (perhaps they are
showing off their intellectual wealth and grandeur).

We have grass lawns because we planted them.

Warm regards,
Galen.

bob@nbires.UUCP (Bob Bruck) (08/19/85)

> >>Wolfe:
> >> Why do we have grass lawns?
> >
> >Bob Bruck:
> >It seems obvious to me.  We Americans have an abundance of land and free time
> >to work the land for show.  If I'm not mistaken, the word lawn came from
> >launder - through which it means "to clean up the land".  Just like gardens
> >elsewhere, lawns are a way for us to show our wealth and grandeur.
> >
>Galen:
> It seemed so obvious to me that I used a dictionary.  Either  you
> are  wrong,  or Webster's made something up to fill the etymology
> entry for one or both of these words.  They  think  that  laundry
> came  from  the  Latin word for "to wash," whereas lawn came from
> the Middle French word for heath (heather), dervied from the  Old
> Irish word "land," meaning "open space."
> We have grass lawns because we planted them.

Do I smell a flame?  I was aware of the common belief that the word lawn had
French or Celtic origins, but I prefer to think that the word lawn had it's
most recent derivation from the (English?) fabric "lawn", which probably had
the same Latin derivation as "launder".

As to your answer, I think that you completely misunderstood the question.
The question "Why do we have lawns?" literally means "Why do we *plant*
lawns?" in english.  Your answer is circular and meaningless.

                                     Bob Bruck
                                     (hao | allegra | ...)!nbires!bob

msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) (08/23/85)

>Bob Bruck:
> ...but I prefer to think that the word lawn had it's
You may prefer to think what you like.  I prefer to believe Webster's.

> most recent derivation from the (English?) fabric "lawn", which probably had
> the same Latin derivation as "launder".
A word's derivation can't change.  That would be akin to changing your
biological parent.  You (it) comes from where you come from.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@saber.UUCP,  sun!saber!msc@decwrl.ARPA