[net.consumers] NEXT: How do you kill silverfish

lws@hou2d.UUCP (L.SAMOCHA) (08/22/85)

Now that THAT is settled, what about those damed silverfish?
These little 'buggers' seem to eat nothing, live only in
my upstairs bathroom- and (?) dislike air conditioning.

Any answers???

LWS

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (08/23/85)

In article <645@hou2d.UUCP> lws@hou2d.UUCP (L.SAMOCHA) writes:
>Now that THAT is settled, what about those damed silverfish?
>These little 'buggers' seem to eat nothing, live only in
>my upstairs bathroom- and (?) dislike air conditioning.
>
>Any answers???

Mothballs.  Silverfish hate mothballs.  Since silverfish eat strange
things (the backing on carpets and glue in book-bindings), you may
have to put the mothballs in some strange places.  (When we had
silverfish, I put mothballs in the bookshelves behind the books,
and in cabinets.)  Just make sure pets and children can't get to
the mothballs, as they're poisonous.

		charli

bill@persci.UUCP (08/26/85)

In article <216@cylixd.UUCP> charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) writes:
>In article <645@hou2d.UUCP> lws@hou2d.UUCP (L.SAMOCHA) writes:
>>Now that THAT is settled, what about those damed silverfish?
>Mothballs.  Silverfish hate mothballs.  Since silverfish eat strange
>things (the backing on carpets and glue in book-bindings), you may
>have to put the mothballs in some strange places.

Careful about those books! My first house (400-500 sq ft) was far too small
to have shelves for all my books (about 800 paperbacks, and who knows how
many hardbound..), so I had to store them on a platform underneath (the house
was perched on a hillside, to boot). This platform was sheltered and cool,
so I packed the books in large plastic bags (to help keep dampness out) with
mothballs (to keep bugs out), put them in boxes, and stored them until such
a time as we could afford a larger house.

A year and a half later we sold the house and moved. I unpacked my valued
book collection to find that most of the glues had turned hard. I can still
read most of the books if I handle them *VERY* carefully. Otherwise, pages
start falling out.

Some of these books I have had for many years with no significant deterioration,
others were almost new. All are nearly ruined.
--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill