[net.consumers] HELP! Need info on foam pads

ttb@ihu1e.UUCP (Thomas T. Butler) (08/27/85)

I am looking for information on foam pads for use in camping
(under sleeping bags).  Both my wife and I love camping, but
our bones need more protection than they used to.  I have
heard that there have been new innovations in pad design, but
I don't know where to start.  Any comments/suggestions/information
would be greatly appreciated.
--
                           Tom Butler
                           ..!ihnp4!ihuxn!ttb

rgo@druhi.UUCP (OlsenRG) (08/29/85)

I highly recommend Thermarest mattresses.
They are a combination foam rubber pad and air mattress.
The standard model is 1" thick,
and the ultralight model is about 3/4" thick.
They come in full (72") or 3/4 length.
Weights range from 1 to 2 lbs.,
and prices range from $35 to $50, depending on the model.

Repair kits are available to patch leaks (I've never had one)
and a non-slip aerosol spray is available to increase friction
if your sleeping bag tends to slide off the mattress.

Thermarest mattresses are by far the most comfortable sleeping
pads I have ever used - they are definitely worth the money
and I wouldn't go camping without one.

	Ron Olsen
	druhi!rgo

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (08/29/85)

[]
It is important, I think, to have a closed cell pad. I have some that
are about 1/2" thick and are alleged to be like those used by the
Swiss Army. I put an air mattress on top of that, but the pad is the
backup.

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

daleske@cbdkc1.UUCP ( John Daleske ) (08/29/85)

After about a month of fun learning while reading Colin Fletcher's
tome on camping I would recommend it as an excellent starting point to
determine which type of pad would be your best buy.  He recommended
the Therma-rest style of pad, explaining that should you spring a leak
the foam at least covers your basic needs.  The air mattress portion
makes for a pleasure-filled rest.

(Doggone it!  I'm having a block on the correct title of the book.  It
will likely come to me after I've sent this off.  Anyway, let's see,
the cover mentioned that Field and Stream dubbed it the "Backpacker's
Bible".  Ah ha!  "The Complete Walker".  I read the most recent,
version III.)

John Daleske
@ Bell Laboratories, Columbus, OH
...ihnp4!cbosgd!cbdkc1!daleske

langet@ecn-pc.UUCP (Timothy Lange) (08/29/85)

My wife and I have been using Therma Rest pads, kinda expensive,
$40 for one full size pad but...  they self inflate to a
thickness of 1.5", provide an excellent thermal break from the
ground, very comfortable, my wife should know, and will roll up
and stuff into a bag about 6" diameter and 2' long.  Also, they
are very light.  A short version is also made, goes from mid
thigh to head.

--
Tim Lange		Engineering Business Offices
317-494-5338		Rm 120 Engineering Administration Bldg.

gbr@mb2c.UUCP (Jerry Ruhno) (08/30/85)

> I am looking for information on foam pads for use in camping
> (under sleeping bags).  Both my wife and I love camping, but
> our bones need more protection than they used to.  I have
> heard that there have been new innovations in pad design, but
> I don't know where to start.  Any comments/suggestions/information
> would be greatly appreciated.

Recently I was also looking for sleeping pads. I was tired of blowing up
those air mattresses. I ended up ordering a 'kamp pad' from Don Gleason's
catalog but when it arrived I found it didn't give enough support. In fact
I have yet to find a foam pad that does give enough support. All that I
have seen use the soft foam. So I went against my original decision of not
spending alot of money and bought a 'camp rest' by Therm-a-rest. If you
are not familiar with Therm-a-rest they are foam pad covered with an air
tight nylon cover and has a valve. When you unroll it the foam expands an
sucks the air in. Then you close the valve an you have an air mattress that
has foam for insulation. Only one problem, the 'camp rest' is expensive, like
about $63. It is their newest one and is 72" x 27". They have other sizes
that are smaller and are good for backpackers. Am I glad I spent the money,
you bet. It was the best sleep I had ever had since I have been camping.
Let me know if you find anything that works for you.

					Jerry Ruhno
					epsilon!mb2c!gbr

stroyan@hpfcla.UUCP (08/30/85)

I own a Therm-A-Rest pad from Cascade Designs.  The pad is a foam/air hybrid.
It has an air valve which allows the air to be squeezed out for packing.
When unpacking it, the valve is opened and the foam expands to refill the pad
with air.  (There is no pumpimg or blowing to inflate.)  It's great for
protection from both rough ground and cold ground.  You should find such pads
in most sporting goods stores, probably from several manufactures by now.

Mike Stroyan, hpfcla!stroyan

kcm@cybvax0.UUCP (Keith C. MacKinnon) (08/30/85)

> I am looking for information on foam pads for use in camping
> (under sleeping bags).  Both my wife and I love camping, but
> our bones need more protection than they used to.  I have
> heard that there have been new innovations in pad design, but
> I don't know where to start.  Any comments/suggestions/information
> would be greatly appreciated.
> --
>                            Tom Butler
>                            ..!ihnp4!ihuxn!ttb

    I am not a camper but I have two of these foam pads that I have
been using for a few years now.  We basically use them when someone
sleeps over. I have never used them outdoors yet, they are also about
6 years old and are of 1/4 foam with heavy plastic covering. The
two that I have are really called exercise pads. I have seen them
at stores that basically sell camping and outdoor supplies.

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (09/01/85)

I am STella Calvert, a guest on wjr's account at decvax!frog.  I get mail via
his account, and flames via /dev/blackhole.

In article <526@ihu1e.UUCP> ttb@ihu1e.UUCP (Thomas T. Butler) writes:
>I am looking for information on foam pads for use in camping
>(under sleeping bags).  Both my wife and I love camping, but
>our bones need more protection than they used to.  I have
>heard that there have been new innovations in pad design, but
>I don't know where to start.  Any comments/suggestions/information
>would be greatly appreciated.

Find a copy of _The Complete Walker_ (third edition preferred) by Colin
Fletcher for a lot more info than I am willing to enter tonight.  But here
are a few ideas, from my experience and his book.

Air mattresses are very comfortable until they develop leaks -- then they are
very useless.  The worst kind of leaking air mattress is the one with a slow
leak that lets you get 90% asleep before you bottom out on the sharpest thing
within ten miles of your campsite.

Open cell foam pads are almost as comfortable as waterbeds, but intractably
bulky.  You can squeeze the air out  (for about two seconds) but as soon as
you let go, it unfolds and sucks the air back in.  (Put that on your frame
and schlep it! Pfui!)  If they get soggy, they can take a couple days to
dry, and meanwhile weigh more than twice their dry weight.  But when I was
living in a lean-to, the open-cell pad was great insulation and fairly
comfortable.  Even damp they provide reasonable insulation, but oh, that
soggy weight!

Closed cell foam pads are water resistant, durable, and usually not really
thick enough to protect you from a lumpy campsite.  But I used one for several
thousand miles of hitchhiking, and was reasonably happy after the second night
on any trip.  And you'll never be comfortable your first night away from home
-- or at least I never am.

These are products I've used, but Fletcher mentions one I intend to try
because it sounds fantastic. Cascade Designs of Seattle has taken an open-cell
foam pad and enclosed it in a water resistant shell with an inflation valve.
When it rains, the pad stays dry (and therefore light).  When you brute-force
the air out and shut the valve, the pad stays empty and can be easily stuffed.
That's my choice the next time, especially since, now that I'm a car-camper,
the extra weight isn't as important.

But try to find the book, and read it -- even the parts you don't need will be
fascinating.  I have bought the last two editions, and recommend it heartily.
Try your library if you don't want to buy till you've sampled (but I betcha a
tent peg you go out and buy it afterwards.)

				STella Calvert
				(guest on ...!decvax!frog!wjr)

		Every man and every woman is a star.

marke@sun.uucp (Marke Clinger) (09/01/85)

Closed foam is very important feature of pads for sleeping.  Most
stores that carry camping supplies have these foam pads that are
usually blue.  The closed foam keeps the pad from absorbing water (from
the ground, air, body).  I have used these pads for about 10 years and
they work great.  They are very thin (1/4" to 1/2"), dense and
lightweight.  They absorbe the shocks of rocks to the point it is hard
to tell they are there.  The pad also works good for insulation.  It
keeps the cold from the ground away from your back.  I have used them
when sleeping directly on a snow drift and have stayed very warm (even
in my summer sleeping bag).  The pads are very cheap also.

If you would like alittle more confort you might want to get a
term-a-rest pad( backpackers air mattress).  It has an open cell foam
core that is covered by an air tight nylon.  It does not absorbe
water.  It is self inflatable, just open the valve and air poors in.
You can adjust the firmness by adding air through the valve.  It weighs
24 ounces and comes in two sizes, 3/4 length and full body length(about
six feet).  It rolls up into a cylinder about 4 inches in
diameter(smaller than the pads talked about above).  I have used this
on rocky ground and snow.  I would recommend it over the closed foam
pads.  It is slightly more expensive, but worth every penny.

Marke Clinger
Sun Microsystems
sun!mclinger

smh@rduxb.UUCP (henning) (09/03/85)

> Closed foam is very important feature of pads for sleeping.  Most
> stores that carry camping supplies have these foam pads that are
> usually blue ...
>
> If you would like alittle more confort you might want to get a
> term-a-rest pad( backpackers air mattress).  It has an open cell foam
> core that is covered by an air tight nylon.  It does not absorbe
> water.  It is self inflatable, just open the valve and air poors in.

My new REI catalog (REI, POBox C88125, Seattle, WA 98188) has a new pad:
The EQUALIZER Mattress self-inflating, nylon covered mattress is anatomically
designed to fill the contours of your body.  The Therm-a-rest is a flat
pad while the new one is sculptured to fit.  It costs $35 for short and
$45 for long.  The short backpackers model weighs 2 pounds, 2 ounces.

drv@kitc.UUCP (Dennis Vogel) (09/03/85)

I'll add my vote to the Therma-Rest pad for backpacking.
I've had one for several years and I use it regularly.
I find it very comfortable and I've used it on bare rock
at times.  I have to disagree with a previous poster and
say that if it gets a hole in it the foam by itself isn't
very soft. Especially if you're lying on something hard
underneath.  Fortunately, a patch kit is available and
it works. (I tried some other glues with no success.
Just when I was about to give up I found a kit sold by
Therma-Rest that was a life saver!)

Therma-Rest pads aren't cheap.  My 3/4 length pad cost
me around $40 5-or-so years ago.  You can bet they are
more than that now.  But for the comfort and convenience
(they squish down to a nice small size for packing)
I don't think they can be beat.  I'd but another if the
need ever arises.

Dennis Vogel
AT&T Information Systems
S. Plainfield, NJ

gbr@mb2c.UUCP (Jerry Ruhno) (09/03/85)

 Concerning all this discussion on sleeping pads is there such a thing
 as a thick closed foam pad, like 1" or thicker. The ones I have seen
 are just not thick enough for me.

					Jerry Ruhno
					epsilon!mb2c!gbr