[net.consumers] Contact lenses: The how's, what's, and why's?

johnnyr@ihu1m.UUCP (John R. Rosenberg) (08/30/85)

Well, the time has finally come. I've had my glasses for
just about two years, and I'm fed up with them collecting
raindrops and snowflakes, and falling off of my face
when I play volleyball (What, you dare try to block me? Eat
leather you ... crunch.).

You get the idea.

So, I want to get contact lenses. The question, of course, is
what kind to get (hard, soft, extended wear, etc.) and
what should I look out for when getting them? Is one brand
clearly superior to the others? Are there advantages or dis-
advantages to hard over soft?

I suppose I should state for the record that I am slightly
near-sighted. That is, I need glasses (or contacts) to read
the road signs as I'm driving along. I can easily read a book,
or work at my terminal with no problem.

Any information would be of immense help to me. Please
send mail, and if I get enough requests I will summarize
back to the net.

I apoligize if this topic has been previously beaten to
death.

thanks in advance
John Rosenberg  AT&T-NS
ihnp4!ihu1m!johnnyr

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (09/06/85)

In article <652@ihu1m.UUCP> johnnyr@ihu1m.UUCP (John R. Rosenberg) writes:
>Well, the time has finally come. I've had my glasses for
>just about two years, and I'm fed up with them collecting
>raindrops and snowflakes, and falling off of my face
>when I play volleyball
>You get the idea.
>So, I want to get contact lenses. The question, of course, is
>what kind to get (hard, soft, extended wear, etc.) and ....
>I suppose I should state for the record that I am slightly
>near-sighted. That is, I need glasses (or contacts) to read
>the road signs as I'm driving along. I can easily read a book,
>or work at my terminal with no problem.
   As someone who is very near-sighted (also e-mail illiterate; sorry net),
   and fairly happy after about 20 years in hard contacts, I am puzzled
   as to why you are wearing your glasses in those situations when you
   only need them to drive.  The kind of correction is very relevant
   to the best type of lens for you, but in my opinion, it's not worth
   it unless you are going to wear them all the time.