[net.consumers] Transformers for audio equipment

mgv@duke.UUCP (Marco G. Valtorta) (09/16/85)

My family and I are moving to Belgium in less than a month.
We would like to bring with us several pieces of electrical
equipment.  These inculde a blender, a stereo receiver, and
a cassette deck.  The local stereo repairman said that the
cassette deck (a Sanyo) has a universal DC motor, and therefore
a transformer would be sufficient for it. This unit uses 7W
to operate.  He also said that a tranformer would be all that is
needed for the receiver, but the receiver uses more power.

I understand that an (appropriate) *transformer* takes 220V 50Hz
current and outputs 110V DC current, whereas a *converter*
outputs 110V 50Hz current.  Moreover, equipment that outputs
110V 60Hz current is just too bulky and expensive for home use.

I would like to know approximately how much transformers cost,
for some typical powers, and whether the same one can be used for
the cassette deck and the receiver.  I also would like to
know whether there is some difference between the FM broadcasting
standard in the USA and Belgium that would make the quality
of FM reception worse, when using an American-spec receiver.

I'll use this information to decide whether to bring the equipment
with us.

Thank you!

					Marco Valtorta

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (09/18/85)

> I understand that an (appropriate) *transformer* takes 220V 50Hz
> current and outputs 110V DC current, whereas a *converter*
> outputs 110V 50Hz current.  Moreover, equipment that outputs
> 110V 60Hz current is just too bulky and expensive for home use.

A transformer takes 220V 50Hz input and produces 110V (or whatever
other voltage it's designed for) 50Hz.  There are also less expensive
converters that produce various strange wave-forms at 110V.  These
latter devices should only be used to power things like heaters and
light bulbs.

I would expect a receiver to work fine on 50 Hz, with the possible
exception of differing FM standards.  In fact, many receivers can
be modified for 220V operation directly -- check with the manufacturer.
Whether your cassette deck will work with 50 Hz depends in large part
on how its motor speed is controlled.

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (09/23/85)

> My family and I are moving to Belgium in less than a month.
> We would like to bring with us several pieces of electrical
> equipment.  These inculde a blender, a stereo receiver, and
> a cassette deck.

This may sound brutal, but it'd almost certainly be cheaper to
discard your blender and buy a new one in Belgium, rather than
pay to have the old one shipped across the Atlantic.

If you're not particularly attached to your receiver and/or
cassette deck, the same could be said for selling one or both
here and buying new stuff there.

You might want to check the back panel and owners manual for the
receiver and tape deck.  Many have a switch or the like which will
allow the unit to run on any of the commonly used power systems.
Or, if it says 117V 50/60 cycle (or 50/60 Hz), then all you need
is a simple 220-to-110 transformer, available at your local Radio
Shack (and other places).

Sounds like you already know that you can't use your American-standard
TV over there...
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {calcom1,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (09/26/85)

In article <4339@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>There are also less expensive
>converters that produce various strange wave-forms at 110V.  These
>latter devices should only be used to power things like heaters and
>light bulbs.
We had a problem with a cheap converter and a contact lens "cooker".
Basically, the lens cooker would not work with the converter.  I think
there are some electronics (for timing the cooking period) that were
insulted by the wierd waveform coming out of the converter.  When we
found a transformer, we had no problem.
--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)
	"The difference between reality and unreality is that reality has