[net.consumers] contributory neglegence

suem@ihopb.UUCP (Sue McKinnell) (09/30/85)

I've been reading the sealbelt vs airbags articles and have noticed
that many people believe that although it is a good idea to hold
nonusers of seatbelts liable for their extra injuries caused by not
using the seatbelts, it is impossible to do so.  Well, back in 72-73
when I was taking law school courses, there were already cases where
people had not been fully compensated for automobile accident injuries
because they were held to be contributorily negligent for not using
seatbelts.  These cases were torts (civil) cases and were not rare.
--

Sue McKinnell
...!ihnp4!ihopb!suem

king@kestrel.ARPA (10/03/85)

In article <715@ihopb.UUCP>, suem@ihopb.UUCP (Sue McKinnell) writes:
> I've been reading the sealbelt vs airbags articles and have noticed
> that many people believe that although it is a good idea to hold
> nonusers of seatbelts liable for their extra injuries caused by not
> using the seatbelts, it is impossible to do so.  Well, back in 72-73
> when I was taking law school courses, there were already cases where
> people had not been fully compensated for automobile accident injuries
> because they were held to be contributorily negligent for not using
> seatbelts.  These cases were torts (civil) cases and were not rare.
> --
>
> Sue McKinnell
> ...!ihnp4!ihopb!suem
> IH 6N226  x5313

I'd be interested in seeing the citations.

An Illinois court rejected contributory negligence.  Seems the
Illinois statute EXPLICITLY REJECTS this defense.  This is per the
latest ABA Journal.

-dick