[net.consumers] Portable Cassette Players?

bill@hpfcla.UUCP (09/27/85)

[edible line]

I'm in the market for a personal (portable) cassette player (of the "walkman"
type).  I would use the player at work, and probably on the ski slopes
occasionally.  I'm after durability and, of course, GOOD SOUND!  What are your
recommendations?

I've had several people tell me that Sony Walkmans are really good, but one
fellow told me that his continually went out of alignment, so that he had to
put a wad of kleenex under the cassette to make it play properly!!  Obviously,
I DON'T want a player that degrades to this state after a while.

Mail or post your recommendations.  I'll summarize if there's sufficient
response.  Thanks a bunch!

Bill Gates
ihnp4!hpfcla!bill-g

smelser@wanginst.UUCP (Craig Smelser) (10/01/85)

>I'm in the market for a personal (portable) cassette player (of the "walkman"
>type).  I would use the player at work, and probably on the ski slopes
>occasionally.  I'm after durability and, of course, GOOD SOUND!  What are your
>recommendations?

               I bought  an AIWA  HS-J400 AM/FM  Stereo  Cassette
          Recorder ($129.95 at 47st Photo 1-800-221-7774).  It is
          slightly bigger than a cassette tape with a  tremendous
          sound!   I also  bought AIWA's  speakers (w/  built  in
          amps).  They  sound a  little tinny, but  for $65  they
          aren't bad.

               The nice thing about the AIWA deck is the size and
          the sound.  I  think you'll find it  to be well  built,
          and competetively priced.  I love it!  Good luck...

heneghan@ihu1m.UUCP (Joe Heneghan) (10/04/85)

> I'm in the market for a personal (portable) cassette player (of the "walkman"
> type).  I would use the player at work, and probably on the ski slopes
> occasionally.  I'm after durability and, of course, GOOD SOUND!  What are your
> recommendations?

Of all the "walkmen" I've seen, I still like the Toshibas the best.
Because you intend to use it while skiing, I would suggest the Sony
"water resistant" model. I have a freind who works in the Antaric
and that's what he uses.
				Joe Heneghan

phl@druhi.UUCP (LavettePH) (10/05/85)

Before you wear one of these while skiing, you should know that we
had a skier killed by an avalanche in Colorado last year because
he could hear neither the shouted warnings nor the on-coming snow.

sdo@u1100a.UUCP (Scott Orshan) (10/07/85)

In article <96@druhi.UUCP> phl@druhi.UUCP (LavettePH) writes:
>Before you wear one of these while skiing, you should know that we
>had a skier killed by an avalanche in Colorado last year because
>he could hear neither the shouted warnings nor the on-coming snow.

That sounds like a rather severe penalty.  Couldn't you have just
confined him to his room?
--

			Scott Orshan
			Bell Communications Research

floyd@brl-tgr.ARPA (Floyd C. Wofford ) (10/08/85)

In article <835@u1100a.UUCP> sdo@u1100a.UUCP (Scott Orshan) writes:
>In article <96@druhi.UUCP> phl@druhi.UUCP (LavettePH) writes:
>>Before you wear one of these while skiing, you should know that we
>>had a skier killed by an avalanche in Colorado last year because
>>he could hear neither the shouted warnings nor the on-coming snow.
>
>That sounds like a rather severe penalty.  Couldn't you have just
>confined him to his room?
>			Scott Orshan

Sarcasm is one of the highest forms of communication, please confine
all responses of this nature to net.jokes in the future (let everyone
enjoy them!).

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (10/09/85)

I just bought a Sony Sports Walkman. It is pretty nice, except that
the earphones are so uncomfortable I suspect they were designed to
encourage you to buy better ones.  Any suggestions?
--
 Arthur Rudolph believed that technology is morally neutral and so,
therefore, are those who create it.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev ) (10/11/85)

>>I'm in the market for a personal (portable) cassette player (of the "walkman"
>>type).  I would use the player at work, and probably on the ski slopes
>>occasionally.  I'm after durability and, of course, GOOD SOUND!  What are your
>>recommendations?
>
>                I bought  an AIWA  HS-J400 AM/FM  Stereo  Cassette
>           Recorder ($129.95 at 47st Photo 1-800-221-7774).  It is
>           slightly bigger than a cassette tape with a  tremendous
>           sound!   I also  bought AIWA's  speakers (w/  built  in
>           amps).  They  sound a  little tinny, but  for $65  they
>           aren't bad.
>
>                The nice thing about the AIWA deck is the size and
>           the sound.  I  think you'll find it  to be well  built,
>           and competetively priced.  I love it!  Good luck...

I have AIWA HS-J400 as well. It is demonstrably better than many othe brands,
BUT....
	1) The vinil outer casing is *cheap*.
	2) The headphone quality is not the best.
	3) Reception is not so hot either.
	4) Recording mode works in one direction only (i.e. Auto-Reverse
	   recording is  impossible)
	5) Noise reduction ( Dolby B) works only on playback.
	6) same as (5) goes for CrO2 switch
	7) the automatic level adjustment in recording mode can not be disabled.
	8) the battery compartment door is of very flimsy design.

WHY did I buy it? Because I used to have AIWA HS-J02 and (until it suffered a
tragic accident) absolutely loved it. It had separate volume controls for
both output chanels, better tuner, better headphones, an external battery pack
that came with it( it could house 2 size C or 6 size AA batteries -- a very
clever design), better battery compartment design and a better outer vinil case.

Never the less, the playback specs on J400 are better than on J02. The battery
pack ( 'though different color) works just fine with it. If you can get HS-J400
for under $130.00 it's not a bad buy. If you find HS-J02 for under $60-$80,
which *is* possible - it's been discontinued a while ago, I think it would be
a great bargain and preferable to 2x price for J400.

--
-----------------------------------+ With deep indifference,
"I disbelieve an army of invisible |                       Oleg Kiselev.

Nothing I ever say reflects the views or opinions of my employers.
They knew who they hired though!