[net.consumers] Supermarket chains

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (09/26/85)

Wondered if anybody happened to know the answer to this question, or
where to look it up: What US supermarket chain is the most widespread
geographically? (That is, not just the largest chain in amount of sales
or number of stores, but which one covers more parts of the country than
any other? It might well be the same as the largest by one of those
other measures, but not necessarily.)

Regards,
Will Martin

UUCP/USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin   or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) (09/29/85)

>What US supermarket chain is the most widespread geographically?

Does 7-Eleven count as a supermarket?

Failing that, how about A&P? I haven't seen one of their stores for years,
though; are they still around?
--
      -m-------   Carl S. Gutekunst, Software R&D, Pyramid Technology Corp.
    ---mmm-----   P.O. Box 7925    {allegra,decwrl,dual,nsc,sun}\

4342bob@homxb.UUCP (R.DEMARCO) (09/30/85)

I'd have to guess K-MART.

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (10/01/85)

> What US supermarket chain is the most widespread geographically?

  I think it is probably Safeway, because that is the only one I have seen
EVERYWHERE I've spent any significant amount of time.

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!noao | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!noao}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@NCAR  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY

"I don't know, but I've been told, it's hard to run with the weight of gold
On the other hand I've heard it said, it's just as hard with the weight of lead"

pjk@hou2a.UUCP (P.KEMP) (10/03/85)

I think Acme may be the largest spread chain, or
at least their parent company (American Stores?).

There was a skit on "The Paul Hogan Show" that is
produced in Australia, which took place in a supermarket
and the phrase "Tell a friend!" was used.  This is
the same slogan used by the Acme stores in this area.

			Paul Kemp
			ihnp4!hou2a!pjk

       The above statements are those of the author only,
          and are not those of AT&T Bell Laboratories.

drv@kitc.UUCP (Dennis Vogel) (10/04/85)

> Wondered if anybody happened to know the answer to this question, or
> where to look it up: What US supermarket chain is the most widespread
> geographically?

For what it's worth, here are some data on the top 10
supermarkets in the US.  This is taken from "Everybody's
Business Scoreboard", published in 1983.  It contains a
lot of other trivia related to US business.

Dennis Vogel
AT&T Information System1981 Saless

							1981 Sales
1. Safeway Stores (Oakland)				$16.5 billion
   Operates some 2,000 supermarkets in the US
   mainly in the west, with a big division in
   the Washington, DC area.
2. Kroger (Cincinnati)					$11.2 billion
   Has 1,250 supermarkets in 21 states mainly
   in the midwest and south.  Sales includes
   $700 million by 515 SupeRx drugstores.
3. Lucky's Stores (Dublin, CA)				$7.2 billion
   Lucky's 530 food stores, operating under the
   name Lucky and Food Basket (in the west),
   Eagle (in the southwest and midwest), and
   Kash N' Karry (in Florida) do $4.6 billion
   of this sales volume.  Rest comes from a variety
   of other stores.
4. American Stores (Salt Lake City)			$7.1 billion
   Result of a 1979 merger that joined Delaware's
   American Stores (Acme chain) with Utah's Skaggs
   (Skaggs drugstores and Skaggs combination food
   and drugstores), American operates 1,140 stores
   in 28 states.
5. Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea (Montvale, NJ)		$6.5 billion
   The once supreme A&P chain, down to 1,500
   stores, losing money steadily.  Germany's
   Tenglemann Group owns half the stock.
6. Winn-Dixie (Jacksonville, FL)			$6.4 billion
   Operates 1,220 nonunionized supermarkets in
   12 southern states and the southern tip of
   Indiana.
7. Southland (Dallas)					$5.6 billion
   The 7-11 operator. Now has more than 7,000
   units in the US, 40% franchised, 87% open
   24 hours.  Also owns the Gristede's
   carriage trade groceries in NY and 265
   automotive stores (Chief Auto Parts).
8. Jewel Companies (Chicago)				$5.1 billion
   The supermarkets-345 of them operating
   under various names-do about $3 billion
   of this sales volume.  Also in the Jewel
   corral are the 280 Osco drugstores in the
   midwest and the 145 Sav-On drugstores in
   California. There are also 240 White Hen
   convenience stores.
9. Grand Union (Elmwood Park, NJ)			$4.1 billion
   Operates 860 supermarkets in 17 states in
   the ease and south.
10.Albertson's (Boise, Idaho)				$3.4 billion
   Operates more than 400 supermarkets in 15
   western and southern states.  Derives nearly
   1/3 of sales from 73 combination food/drug
   stores in Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, Texas.

bob@islenet.UUCP (Bob Cunningham) (10/06/85)

> > What US supermarket chain is the most widespread geographically?
>
>   I think it is probably Safeway...

Safeway is the only non-local chain in Hawaii (tho we also have 7-11's
if you're considering convenience stores).
--
Bob Cunningham  {dual|vortex|ihnp4}!islenet!bob
Hawaii Institute of Geophysics, University of Hawaii

edg@micropro.UUCP (Ed Greenberg) (10/07/85)

In article <656@hou2a.UUCP> pjk@hou2a.UUCP (P.KEMP) writes:
>and the phrase "Tell a friend!" was used.  This is
>the same slogan used by the Acme stores in this area.

Here in California, the Alpha-Beta chain uses the slogan "Tell A
Friend."  Wonder if they're connected.

Disclaimer:  This is a boring topic.
			-edg

--
Ed Greenberg; MicroPro International Corp. (disclaimer)
UUCP: {hplabs,dual,glacier,lll-crg}!well!micropro!edg

rep@panda.UUCP (Pete Peterson) (10/08/85)

>I think Acme may be the largest spread chain, or
>at least their parent company (American Stores?).
>			Paul Kemp
I've lived in New England, Arizona, and California and have
never seen an Acme store.  I have, however, seen many of their
products used by Wile E. Coyote and would LOVE to get hold of
one of their catalogs.
		Pete Peterson

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (10/09/85)

> I'd have to guess K-MART.

I really worry about your nutrition habits if you do your grocery
shopping at K-MART.  They seem to specialize mostly in 3-Litre bottles
of Coke and Screaming Yellow Zonkers.

-Ron

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (10/09/85)

> There was a skit on "The Paul Hogan Show" that is
> produced in Australia, which took place in a supermarket
> and the phrase "Tell a friend!" was used.  This is
> the same slogan used by the Acme stores in this area.

More likely, the "Tell a Friend" is a SYNDICATED ADVERTISING PACKAGE.
This is cheaper than coming up with your own ad campaign and the company
that sells it to you guarantees that your store is the only one in earshot
that is going to be using it.

-Ron

ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) (10/12/85)

>More likely, the "Tell a Friend" is a SYNDICATED ADVERTISING PACKAGE.
>This is cheaper than coming up with your own ad campaign and the company
>that sells it to you guarantees that your store is the only one in earshot
>that is going to be using it.
>-Ron
****

Rrrrrright!  Another syndicated advertising package I can think of right
off the bat is the 'lil cheeper' (little cheaper, git it?  Kyuk yuk.) symbol
(baby chicken) used by various different car dealers.  (One per area, natch.)
Anyone know any more?

(BTW, haven't yet seen it here in the Bay Area.  But then, here Firebirds, for
instance, are going for 20K a pop.  You think I'm kidding???)

					Ron

	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)
	{pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix,vecpyr,certes,isi}!wjvax!ron

Oliver's law of assumed responsibility:
	"If you are seen fixing it, you will be blamed for breaking it."

colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (10/14/85)

> >> What US supermarket chain is the most widespread geographically?
>
> Of the half-dozen places I've lived (including towns in the Midwest,
> Southeast, and Northeast) most have NOT had Safeways.  Maybe I've just lived
> in the wrong places (:-)), but I've seen Kroger and A&P more often.

Buffalo has no Safeways, Krogers, or A & Ps!  (The Dark Powers have a
pretty good lock on things here ... )
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel