[net.consumers] Junk offers...

wasser@viking.DEC (John A. Wasser) (10/01/85)

> About once per month I get a friendly letter from my mortgage company
> encouraging me to buy mortgage insurance.  Since it looked like junk
> mail, I tended to throw them away.  However, upon recent examination,
> the idea looks like it has some merit.

	I also get such letters (from several companies, not just my
	mortgage holder).  You can be fairly sure that most unsolicited
	insurance offers (or other financial offers) are designed to
	separate a fool from his money.  I throw these offers away as
	they arrive.

		-John A. Wasser

REMEMBER: PLACE YOUR VOTE AGAINST JUNK MAIL!  THROW IT AWAY EARLY AND OFTEN!

Work address:
ARPAnet:	WASSER%VIKING.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
Usenet:		{allegra,Shasta,decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-viking!wasser
Easynet:	VIKING::WASSER
Telephone:	(617)486-2505
USPS:		Digital Equipment Corp.
		Mail stop: LJO2/E4
		30 Porter Rd
		Littleton, MA  01460

king@kestrel.ARPA (10/01/85)

In article <615@decwrl.UUCP>, wasser@viking.DEC (John A. Wasser) writes:

> > About once per month I get a friendly letter from my mortgage company
> > encouraging me to buy mortgage insurance.
>
> 				  I throw these offers away as
> 	they arrive.
>
> 		-John A. Wasser
>
> REMEMBER: PLACE YOUR VOTE AGAINST JUNK MAIL!  THROW IT AWAY EARLY AND OFTEN!

You can avoid receiving junk mail.  Contact your postmaster for details.

-dick

msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) (10/02/85)

Dick King writes
> You can avoid receiving junk mail.  Contact your postmaster for details.
>
> -dick

I did and you can't.  This is an extremely unhelpful and misleading
comment.  Why didn't *you* give the details?

The post office can do nothing about junk mail.  And my postmaster
did not know about the Direct Marketing Association.  You can write
to them and have your name taken off many (but not all) junk mail lists.

This was discussed in the not unadjacent past in this very newsgroup.
If I get enough requests for details on the DMA I can ferret them out
and post them.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@saber.UUCP,  sun!saber!msc@decwrl.ARPA

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (10/07/85)

Just a note to say that, if you feel the need for some
type of mortgage protection, DO NOT BUY MORTGAGE INSURANCE.
Go out and buy a normal every day decreasing term policy.
They are much much cheaper and provide the exact same
protection as so-called mortgage insurance.  Mortgage
insurance is nothing more than decreasing term with
a fancy name and a fancier price.
T. C. Wheeler

hlb@loral.UUCP (10/09/85)

Rather than decreasing term why not choose a annual renewable term
policy that may be more cost effective.  In that way you can decrease
the coverage as your needs change rather than it be decreased for
you.

Also, not all mortgage insurance policies require the mortgage lender
be the beneficiary although I've seen some that do.  The spouse or
the trust should be beneficiary because it may not be  prudent to
pay off the mortgage at time of death.

UUCP:  {ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest, akgua, decvax, ihnp4}!sdcsvax!sdcc3!loral!hlb
-or-   {ihnp4, cbosgd, sdcsvax, noscvax}!crash!hlb
ARPA:  crash!hlb@ucsd
       crash!hlb@nosc

davew@shark.UUCP (Dave Williams) (10/09/85)

In article <242@pyuxii.UUCP> tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) writes:
>Just a note to say that, if you feel the need for some
>type of mortgage protection, DO NOT BUY MORTGAGE INSURANCE.
>Go out and buy a normal every day decreasing term policy.
>They are much much cheaper and provide the exact same
>protection as so-called mortgage insurance.  Mortgage
>insurance is nothing more than decreasing term with
>a fancy name and a fancier price.
>T. C. Wheeler

The people who sell this type of policy try to impress on the
prospective buyer that the mortgage is paid off completely, including
pay-off penalties, should the insured die. Pay-off penalties, if
they are wriitten into your mortgage, are typically 3 to 6 months of
interest on the loan. Even including this money into a good decreasing
term policy, the premiums can be one-half or less of a comparable
mortgage insurance policy. Don't be afraid to shop around.
--

                                    Dave Williams
                                    Tektronix, Inc.

marie@ucbernie.BERKELEY.EDU (& desJardins) (10/15/85)

I recently saw a TV blurb (on one of those news magazines) about a guy
who liked to get junk mail.  He heated his house by burning it in a
wood stove.  Not a bad idea, at least it's a little useful that way
(very Californian, much more environment-conscious than throwing it
away).

marie desjardins park