[net.consumers] aerobic exercise and weight loss

rob@ptsfb.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (10/22/85)

In article <764@bbncc5.UUCP> sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
>I know nothing about "Gold Key", but regular aerobic exercise has been
>shown to be many times more effective in assisting weight loss and
>maintaining a desired weight than would be expected by its caloric
>expenditure.
>Experiments in both animals and humans have allowed researchers to
>hypothesize the concept of a "setpoint", a weight which the organism
>attempts to maintain.  Regular, moderate aerobic exercise actually
>LOWERS this setpoint.  Onjectively, this is reflected in a lower
>food intake and higher metabolism.
>  20-30 minutes of aerobic exercise
>3 to 5 times a week is all that is needed.

I can support this with personal anecdotal information.
I am 33 and have been working out with weights (for body building reasons,
not weight loss) for the past 3 years, and my weight had increased from
124 lb. to 132 lb. in that period (I'm 5'4"). I added 20 minutes of
exercise cycle riding three times a week during my regular weight-workout.
My weight went down to 125-126 lb. (about 7 lb.) within 3 weeks. My
appetite did not increase and I did not eat more. I stopped using
the exercise cycle 3 weeks ago and my weight has gone up about 2-3 lb.