[net.consumers] Info on Outlet Stores Wanted

cory@mit-bug.UUCP (Cory Myers) (10/22/85)

I am interested in finding out locations of various outlet stores in
the Northeast, particularly for clothing.  I know of a Bass shoe
outlet in Nashua, NH and of a Mikasa outlet in Secaucus, NJ (along
with several others there whose names escape me).  Please send the
names and addresses of any outlet stores you know of directly to me.
If there is sufficient interest I will post a compiled list.

Thanks in advance,

	Cory Myers (cory@mit-bugs-bunny.arpa)

cl1667@hou2d.UUCP (C.LUZE) (10/23/85)

To: houxm!mhuxt!mhuxr!ulysses!allegra!mit-eddie!mit-bug!cory
Subject: Re: Info on Outlet Stores Wanted

My wife is an outlet maniac.  I know of several outlet centers
in and around NJ.  The Secacus (sp) area you mention is one
of these centers.  It has dozens of outlet stores for items such
as designer and other fine clothing, shoes, china, etc.
Secacus is a warehouse/shipping area with these stores attached.

Flemington, NJ is a town with an outlet center in the center.
It also has clothing, shoes, china, Revere Ware (sp), furs,
baskets, linens, etc.  The stores are grouped together in a
sort of outdoor mall arrangement.  It makes a nice day trip.

Redding, PA is another outlet center.  In addition to the above
items, it also has Stanley tools and inexpensive camping/outdoor
equipment.

Finally, High Point, NC is THE best place for furniture.  Even if
you cannot travel there, most stores will ship the furniture
for less than the cost of sales tax (which is avoided by an inter-
state purchase).  Many stores have 800 numbers that you can use and
sell the furniture at about 10% over cost, which is about 30-50%
off retail.  High Point also has many of the same sort of outlet
stores as the other locations.

Curt Luze
201/949-9142

gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) (10/25/85)

In article <800@hou2d.UUCP> cl1667@hou2d.UUCP (C.LUZE) writes:
>Finally, High Point, NC is THE best place for furniture.  Even if
>you cannot travel there, most stores will ship the furniture
>for less than the cost of sales tax (which is avoided by an inter-
>state purchase).

Many (most?) states have not just a "sales tax", but a "sales and use"
tax, under which, if you make an out-of-state purchase of goods to be
used in the state, YOU are responsible for calculating the amount of
the tax and sending it in.  For example, for cars in particular, the
state DMV often serves as a collection agency for cars purchased out of
state and then "imported".  CA and SC (and I am pretty sure PA too) have
such laws, so they are not uncommon.

FROM:   Brian G. Gordon, CAE Systems Division of Tektronix, Inc.
UUCP:   tektronix!teklds!cae780!gordon
	{ihnp4, decvax!decwrl}!amdcad!cae780!gordon
        {nsc, hplabs, resonex, qubix, leadsv}!cae780!gordon
USNAIL: 5302 Betsy Ross Drive, Santa Clara, CA  95054