[net.consumers] dishwashers: recommendations?

tpchmara@wateng.UUCP (Thomas P. Chmara, Creative Slothfulness Inc.) (10/24/85)

[]
My wife and I have decided that it's time for a little help around the
kitchen (for assistance in dealing with the aftermath...).  Yes, folks,
it's time for a dishwasher.  So, I'm turning to you folks for assistance:
any recommendations/warnings?
	So far,, we've considered Westinghouse and Hotpoint, and are looking
for a basic model:  about $500 CDN, or $350-400 US
	Thanks...
		---tpc---

--
...!{allegra | decvax | clyde | ihnp4 }!watmath!wateng!tpchmara

danz@hplsla.UUCP (danz) (10/25/85)

This came up a bit ago . . . but, oh well, here we go again . . .

I have had "encounters" with HOTPOINT (Hotpoint? hotpoint?) dishwashers
twice -- my folks owned a machine (purchased about 12 years ago) that I
used to do dishes on, and I have rented an apartment for 6 months with
a machine purchased 3 years ago.  Let me assure you that the 12 year
old HotPoint --
     -- made noise
     -- made steam
     -- melted Tupperware
However, the one thing it did not do was
     -- clean the dishes

(and all this after my mother STUDIED the manual for countless hours
searching for that MAGIC way to stack the dishes so that they'd get
clean.  She wouldn't even let us kids do it when we were 18.)

In summary, the 12 year old HotPoint did not work, and, furthermore,
let me assure you that they have made no improvement in the intervening
decade.

We now have a General Electric (came with the house we bought) which is
just adequate.  Better than HotPoint, but I wouldn't write home to mom
about it . . .

Speaking of which, Mom now has as Maytag and is very satisfied.  She
has even let my younger brother pack the dishwasher.  The Maytag is 5
years old and has never skipped a beat.

My in-laws (yup, still on speaking terms) have a KitchenAid that's so
old the racks are rusting away (about 10 years old) and it'll beat
General Electric like a Corvette will beat a bicycle.

Of course, this is my highly biased opinion, but get a Maytag or
KitchenAid or something, but don't get a GE or HotPoint.

Dan

               "Don't shoot! I'm just the hacker"

"These opinions are not those of my employer, a large corporation which
claims to have no opinions whatsoever."

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (10/26/85)

In article <4600001@hplsla.UUCP> danz@hplsla.UUCP (danz) writes:
>This came up a bit ago . . . but, oh well, here we go again . . .

You said it!

>We now have a General Electric (came with the house we bought) which is
>just adequate.  Better than HotPoint, but I wouldn't write home to mom
>about it . . .

We have a GE dishwasher - the next-to-bottom of the line - and it works
just fine... never had to resort to the "Pot Scrubber" cycle even when
plates had sat for a while.

>...My in-laws (yup, still on speaking terms) have a KitchenAid that's so
>old the racks are rusting away (about 10 years old) and it'll beat
>General Electric like a Corvette will beat a bicycle.

Then why did Consumer Reports rate the GE higher?  (Oh, I know... they
take bribes from the manufacturers... :-) )  In my opinion, KA has been on a
steady slide downhill ever since whoever-it-was bought out Hobart, and have
been coasting on their reputation ever since!  Bet your in-laws' 10-year-old
KA will beat a brand new KA!

AWR

PS: If KA products are so great, then why do their garbage disposals live up
to the first part of the name?  We bought one on the recommendation of
the local appliance dealer - paid $220 for it, and it didn't work as
well as the 15-year-old Sears Kenmore we were replacing!

smh@rduxb.UUCP (henning) (10/28/85)

> any recommendations/warnings?
> 	So far,, we've considered Westinghouse and Hotpoint, and are looking
> for a basic model:  about $500 CDN, or $350-400 US

I recently went through this and found that the GE/Hotpoint are rated the
best at cleaning and are easy to service, though they are very reliable.  The
Kitchen Aid is good at cleaning, but is very difficult to service and not
especially as reliable as most people think.  The Westinghouse/Frigidare
(that's right, they are identical) are average at cleaning and reliability
and are quite serviceable.
We had a 20 year old Westinghouse that was very easy to service and cleaned
fairly well.  We replaced it when parts were no longer available.  Now we
have a GE which my wife says cleans very well but doesn't hold as much
as the old Westinghouse.  Perhaps that is why it cleans better. It also
has an air dry cycle which we did manually on the old Westinghouse.
(The ratings are from a recent Consumer's Reports and the serviceability
data is from several independent servicemen and personal inspection.  Just
try to look at the motor of a Kitchen Aid after it is installed. You can't.)

kim@trsvax (10/31/85)

Just for general information, GE makes Hotpoint.  So therefore they should
be close in performance.

Kim