[net.consumers] Need info on "Gold Key" Weight loss plan

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (10/16/85)

Recently a radio station here has been advertising the "Gold Key" weight
loss clinic/plan/whathaveyou. They don't say much about it except that
it is supposed to "re-train your metabolism to burn fat rather than
store it." This sure sounds good on the surface. Too good to be true.
The phone number to call is that of an individual, so I suspect it
might be an "Amway"-type outfit. Anyone out there in net.consumers
know anything about this outfit? Anyone in net.med care to give an opinion
on whether "re-training" ones "metabolism to burn fat" would work?

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

(The views expressed herein are the exclusive property of Dave Kirby.
Any person, living or dead, found with the same or similar opinions
will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of law.)

sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (10/19/85)

> Recently a radio station here has been advertising the "Gold Key" weight
> loss clinic/plan/whathaveyou. They don't say much about it except that
> it is supposed to "re-train your metabolism to burn fat rather than
> store it." This sure sounds good on the surface. Too good to be true.
> The phone number to call is that of an individual, so I suspect it
> might be an "Amway"-type outfit. Anyone out there in net.consumers
> know anything about this outfit? Anyone in net.med care to give an opinion
> on whether "re-training" ones "metabolism to burn fat" would work?

I know nothing about "Gold Key", but regular aerobic exercise has been
shown to be many times more effective in assisting weight loss and
maintaining a desired weight than would be expected by its caloric
expenditure.  On a reducing diet alone, your body adjusts to the smaller
number of calories by slowing its metabolic rate, thus using whatever
you eat more efficiently.  Naturally, this slows your weight loss.
Adding regular exercise counters this effect, increasing the metabolism
and allowing a much more steady, plateau-free weight loss.

Experiments in both animals and humans have allowed researchers to
hypothesize the concept of a "setpoint", a weight which the organism
attempts to maintain.  Regular, moderate aerobic exercise actually
LOWERS this setpoint.  Onjectively, this is reflected in a lower
food intake and higher metabolism.  Becoming sedentary RAISES the
setpoint and we observe weight gain.  Completing a diet without
continuing regular exercise is almost doomed to failure, as
your body strains to reestablish homeostasis at its old setpoint.
Some researchers believe that a weight-loss/weight-gain cycle
actually causes the setpoint to increase.

Thus, there certainly seems to be a way to "train" your body, but it
certainly isn't too good to be true!  20-30 minutes of aerobic exercise
3 to 5 times a week is all that is needed.  I know it isn't easy, because
I fall victim to such fluctuations, and in fact I'm presently on a diet/
exercise regimen, having seen my setpoint (and my waist) explode
after slowly "forgetting" my regular daily exercise.
--
/Steve Dyer
{harvard,seismo}!bbnccv!bbncc5!sdyer

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (10/21/85)

Where cynicism is very close to truth...

There are no known effective weight loss programs (if "effective"
means that the weight is not regained within a few months or years).

The best thing you can do for overweight (presuming that it isn't
life-threatening) is to ignore it and go on with your life.  Too many
overweight people go through life unhappy and frustrated, trying to lose
weight the whole time and only "yo-yoing".  For right now it is an
unwinnable war; better to focus your attention and energy on something
that you enjoy.
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {calcom1,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (10/24/85)

In article <812@terak.UUCP> doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
>There are no known effective weight loss programs (if "effective"
>means that the weight is not regained within a few months or years).

Not entirely true.  The Pritikin Longevity Center  plan  (for  example)  is
pretty  effective,  I'm told.  The reason is they stress a total, permanent
change of lifestyle and eating habits.  These are  the  main  reasons  most
weight loss programs fail.  As soon as someone reaches their target weight,
they go off the program, back to their old habits, and  gain  their  weight
back again.

I knew one man who tried every fad diet that came along.  They  all  worked
as  promised.  He'd lose 15 pounds in 2 weeks drinking grapefruit juice (or
whatever).  Then he'd go off the diet and gain it all back in  the  next  2
weeks.

A woman I knew was (probably still is) a  member  of  Weight  Watchers  for
years.  She  used  to  come  into  the office hiding a candy bar behind her
celery stalks.  I wonder who she thought she was fooling.

Earlier this year I began  a  program  of  regular  exercise  (aerobic  and
weights)  and  started  controlling  my  food  intake. 5 1/2 months later I
reached my target weight.  I intend to maintain that weight for the rest of
my  life.  To  do  so,  I've  accepted  the fact that I'll have to continue
exercising and controlling my dietary habits for the rest of  my  life.  So
far I've had no problem staying within +|- 1 pound of target.

>The best thing you can do for overweight (presuming that it isn't
>life-threatening) is to ignore it and go on with your life.  Too many
>overweight people go through life unhappy and frustrated, trying to lose
>weight the whole time and only "yo-yoing".  For right now it is an
>unwinnable war; better to focus your attention and energy on something
>that you enjoy.

How do you define life-threatening?  Even moderate obesity has  been  shown
to  contribute significantly to risk of heart disease, diabetes, high blood
pressure, and other problems.  In most cases the war can be  won  (i.e.:  a
healthful  weight can be achieved and maintained).  It takes discipline and
a lifetime commitment.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (10/25/85)

In article <812@terak.UUCP> doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:

>There are no known effective weight loss programs (if "effective"
>means that the weight is not regained within a few months or years).
>
>The best thing you can do for overweight (presuming that it isn't
>life-threatening) is to ignore it and go on with your life.  Too many
>overweight people go through life unhappy and frustrated, trying to lose
>weight the whole time and only "yo-yoing".  For right now it is an
>unwinnable war; better to focus your attention and energy on something
>that you enjoy.
>--

You are correct in that it is better to remain overweight than to
yo-yo up and down by periodically starving yourself.  However,
neither of those two options is ideal.

You are wrong to say that there is no effective weight-loss program.
Most people will be safely able to take off most excess weight and
keep it off merely by a daily half hour of race-walking (or an
alternative suitably strenuous exercise).

	Frank Silbermann

gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) (10/25/85)

In article <812@terak.UUCP> doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
>Where cynicism is very close to truth...
>
>There are no known effective weight loss programs (if "effective"
>means that the weight is not regained within a few months or years).
>
>The best thing you can do for overweight (presuming that it isn't
>life-threatening) is to ignore it and go on with your life.  Too many
>overweight people go through life unhappy and frustrated, trying to lose
>weight the whole time and only "yo-yoing".  For right now it is an
>unwinnable war; better to focus your attention and energy on something
>that you enjoy.

I beg to differ!!!!  Losing weight - "permanently" - is QUITE possible,
and will improve, among other things, your life expectancy.  While it is
probably true that "yo-yoing" is worse that staying moderately
overweight, the "war" is NOT "unwinnable".  We know a LOT more about
safe, effective, permanent weight loss now than we did even a few years
ago!

FROM:   Brian G. Gordon, CAE Systems Division of Tektronix, Inc.
UUCP:   tektronix!teklds!cae780!gordon
	{ihnp4, decvax!decwrl}!amdcad!cae780!gordon
        {nsc, hplabs, resonex, qubix, leadsv}!cae780!gordon
USNAIL: 5302 Betsy Ross Drive, Santa Clara, CA  95054

 Down 69 3/4 pounds, and holding ...

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (10/28/85)

--
> Earlier this year I began  a  program  of  regular  exercise  (aerobic  and
> weights)  and  started  controlling  my  food  intake. 5 1/2 months later I
> reached my target weight.  I intend to maintain that weight for the rest of
> my  life.  To  do  so,  I've  accepted  the fact that I'll have to continue
> exercising and controlling my dietary habits for the rest of  my  life.  So
> far I've had no problem staying within +|- 1 pound of target...
>
> The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)

I adopted a similar regimen when I became dissatisfied with my
overall physical shape.  I've been lifting weights for about 4
months now.  The Nautilus folks were careful to tell me that I
should be concerned with my *size*, not *weight*.  As you put on
muscle, you get heavier.  But with weights + some general aerobic
workout, I've had to put new holes in my belt in spite of adding
a few pounds.

I'm very satisfied with Nautilus.  Their staff (in Naperville,
anyway) seem to be very knowledgeable about the equipment,
anatomy, and good health in general.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (10/29/85)

> You are wrong to say that there is no effective weight-loss program.
> Most people will be safely able to take off most excess weight and
> keep it off merely by a daily half hour of race-walking (or an
> alternative suitably strenuous exercise).

I wouldn't argue that exercise is not effective at losing weight.  In
fact, it is currently the closest approximation that we have to "an
effective weight loss program."  But refer to my original quote:

> >There are no known effective weight loss programs (if "effective"
> >means that the weight is not regained within a few months or years).

Experience shows that approximately 0% of the populace will maintain
the exercise schedule required for the rest of their lives.  Unless they
have a motivation as strong as, "You'll die if you don't".  And often
not even then.

There are a great many ways to lose weight initially.  But the track
record of every single weight loss regimen is dismal (to say the least)
when looked at on a long-term basis.  There not only is no "magic"
answer, there isn't even an "unmagic" answer.

A note of clarification: this discussion has strayed a bit from the
point I was trying to make in my original posting.  I'm not trying to
say that one shouldn't take up an exercise program.  What I *am* trying
to say is that one shouldn't waste one's life worrying about being
overweight.

Too many overweight people dedicate their entire lives to losing weight
instead of living their lives.  Furthermore, they carry a totally
undeserved burden of guilt, both for being overweight in the first
place and for their repeated failure at losing weight.  They need to
be told that those failures are universal, that virtually no one ever
succeeds at maintaining a weight loss.  And they need to change the
focus of their lives away from "losing weight" to "enjoying life".

At the same time, those people without "weight problems" need to learn
that overweight is *not* a sign of weak personal character.
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {calcom1,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (10/31/85)

In article <1223@ihuxn.UUCP> gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:
>I'm very satisfied with Nautilus.  Their staff (in Naperville,
>anyway) seem to be very knowledgeable about the equipment,
>anatomy, and good health in general.

Nautilus manufactures exercise equipment.  This equipment is used  by  many
different  health  providers  from  hospitals  to  health  spas to personal
trainers.  How knowledgeable the trainers are and what kind of service  you
get from them is independent of the equipment used.  Just because there's a
"Nautilus" sign on the window doesn't mean you'll get  the  same  treatment
there as anywhere else with the same sign.

Caveat emptor.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

In article <835@terak.UUCP> doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
>Experience shows that approximately 0% of the populace will maintain
>the exercise schedule required for the rest of their lives.  Unless they
>have a motivation as strong as, "You'll die if you don't".  And often
>not even then.

What you're describing here sounds much more like a failure on the part of
the person than on the part of the program.  Who's experience, BTW?

>There are a great many ways to lose weight initially.  But the track
>record of every single weight loss regimen is dismal (to say the least)
>when looked at on a long-term basis.  There not only is no "magic"
>answer, there isn't even an "unmagic" answer.

"If it came in a bottle, everyone would have a good body."
							-- Cher

>                                                ...  What I *am* trying
>to say is that one shouldn't waste one's life worrying about being
>overweight.

No argument here.  One shouldn't wast one's life worrying  about  anything.
But  is  it wasteful to make a lifetime commitment to good health?  I don't
think so.

>Too many overweight people dedicate their entire lives to losing weight
>instead of living their lives.

To maintain my target weight I spend 1.5 hours, 3 days a week, in the  gym.
I  eat  sensibly all the time (as should we all).  That's hardly dedicating
my entire life to losing weight.  It's  more  like  doing  the  minimum  to
maintain good health.

>                                Furthermore, they carry a totally
>undeserved burden of guilt, both for being overweight in the first
>place and for their repeated failure at losing weight.  They need to
>be told that those failures are universal, that virtually no one ever
>succeeds at maintaining a weight loss.

The guilt is self-imposed and unnecessary, but telling them it's ok  to  be
fat  because everyone else who's fat has failed to lose weight (an apparent
tautology) doesn't strike me as helpful.  Where do your  "statistics"  come
from?

>                                        And they need to change the
>focus of their lives away from "losing weight" to "enjoying life".

I don't see that losing weight and enjoying life are mutually exclusive.  I
certainly enjoy life more when I'm healthy.

>At the same time, those people without "weight problems" need to learn
>that overweight is *not* a sign of weak personal character.

I never said it was.  I know a number of people who have  lost  significant
amounts of weight and kept it off.  I know others who have tried and failed
(so far).  None of them have what I would call "weak  personal  character".
Each  is  an  individual,  with  many  things affecting how they live their
lives.  Each is capable of attaining the weight they want and  keeping  it.
To some this is more important than others.  Some people insist on smoking.