[net.consumers] Visa/Mastercard deals

ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (08/21/85)

There were a couple of postings about a month ago concerning banks
that offer particularly good deals on Visa and Mastercard.  I am
looking for one that offers no annual fee and no finance charge if the
bill is paid on time.  If someone knows of such as beast (preferably
but not necessarily in NJ), I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Ben Broder
..vax135!petsd!moncol!ben
..ihnp4!princeton!moncol!ben

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (08/23/85)

In article <480@moncol.UUCP> ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) writes:
>There were a couple of postings about a month ago concerning banks
>that offer particularly good deals on Visa and Mastercard.  I am
>looking for one that offers no annual fee and no finance charge if the
>bill is paid on time.  If someone knows of such as beast (preferably
>but not necessarily in NJ), I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Check with any and all credit unions that you can belong to -- they are
the best sources for free credit cards. They contract with other
organizations, usually out-of-state, that actually issue the cards.
(For example, I belong to a CU here in St. Louis, MO -- the MasterCard
they issue comes out of Florida, and the bills come from there, and
payments get sent down there.)

Note: If you can find a credit union that will acccept your credit card
payments in person, there at the office, you can reduce the cost even
further, by not paying 22 cents each month to mail the payment. This is
only worthwhile if the CU has an office at your work site, though, so
you don't have to make special trips.

Will

jaffe@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Saul) (08/23/85)

>There were a couple of postings about a month ago concerning banks
>that offer particularly good deals on Visa and Mastercard.  I am
>looking for one that offers no annual fee and no finance charge if the
>bill is paid on time.  If someone knows of such as beast (preferably
>but not necessarily in NJ), I'd appreciate hearing from you.
>
>Ben Broder
>..vax135!petsd!moncol!ben
>..ihnp4!princeton!moncol!ben

	Valley National Bank in NJ (primarily Passaic County area)
 has free Visa/Mastercharge cards and if the entire bill is paid on
 time there is no finance charge.  I have had cards from them for
 about 3 years and have had only one problem with them when the post
 office they lost the check.  Valley national was fairly nice about
 it when I wrote to them with a new check to pay the amount they
 claimed was now due; they even refunded me the finance charge.
--
Saul Jaffe
Systems Programmer

arens@uscvax.UUCP (Yigal Arens) (08/25/85)

> There were a couple of postings about a month ago concerning banks
> that offer particularly good deals on Visa and Mastercard.  I am
> looking for one that offers no annual fee and no finance charge if the
> bill is paid on time.  If someone knows of such as beast (preferably
> but not necessarily in NJ), I'd appreciate hearing from you.
>
> Ben Broder
> ..vax135!petsd!moncol!ben
> ..ihnp4!princeton!moncol!ben

I just received an offer for a Gold Mastercard from First National
Bank of Wilmington.  It says "free" all over it, and promises a
credit line of at least $5000.  I've read the fine print, and it
appears there's no yearly charge, no monthly finance charge if you
pay everything on time, and no charge for extra cards.  You do have
to prove yearly income above $35,000, though.

Their address:

	First National Bank of Wilmington
	Post Office Bank 15100
	Wilmington, DE 19850

Yigal Arens
USC

bazelman@wanginst.UUCP (Rudy Bazelmans) (08/28/85)

> > There were a couple of postings about a month ago concerning banks
> > that offer particularly good deals on Visa and Mastercard.  I am
> > ..vax135!petsd!moncol!ben
> I just received an offer for a Gold Mastercard from First National
> Bank of Wilmington.  It says "free" all over it...
> 	First National Bank of Wilmington
> 	Wilmington, DE 19850
> Yigal Arens

As I recall from their literature, the "trick" is that is you don't pay the
entire balance due, then interest is due since the original purchase.  If
you pay your bills on time it is a good deal.  If you need the credit it will
cost you.  I decided to apply for one about 5 weeks ago but I haven't heard
yet.
--

Rudy Bazelmans - Wang Institute, (617) 967-2609
[apollo, bbncca, cadmus, decvax, harvard, linus, masscomp]!wanginst!bazelmans

df@ptsfa.UUCP (Dave Fox) (08/28/85)

AVCO National Bank
800-524-6000

MC, VISA to $5000 credit limit, no annual fee, no finance charge if
paid monthly. But the best part is that you can take the full amount
in cash if you really need to - 2% transaction fee if you use their
'checks', 4% if you get the cash at a bank. 18% interest.

tischler@ihlpg.UUCP (Mark D. Tischler) (08/31/85)

> AVCO National Bank
> 800-524-6000
>
> MC, VISA to $5000 credit limit, no annual fee, no finance charge if
> paid monthly. But the best part is that you can take the full amount
> in cash if you really need to - 2% transaction fee if you use their
> 'checks', 4% if you get the cash at a bank. 18% interest.

Be aware that this bank demands that you have had 2 credit cards,
each for 2 years (and, of course, good credit).
--

			Mark Tischler
			(312) 393-7199 (home)

hrs@homxb.UUCP (H.SILBIGER) (10/28/85)

Watch out for the Wilmington, Delaware offer of
"free" credit cards.  While there is no annual
charge, and no charge if you pay on time, they
do have an "ACTIVTY" charge. This is a fixed
charge of $1.50 in any month in which there is
any activity in your account.

Thus, unless you do not use your card, there is
a charge equivalent to $18.- per year.

blz0@bunny.UUCP (Bonnie Zeigler) (10/30/85)

> Watch out for the Wilmington, Delaware offer of
> "free" credit cards..........

Yeah, no kidding.  After I got turned down for their supposedly
free Master Charge, I asked some questions.    They never said
in their application that what they really want is people who
have lived and worked in a single location at least 5-7 years,
and earn at least 35,000.  In addition, if you own a house with
someone else, they calculate your obligations using the entire mortgage
on the house - which makes it pretty hard for a lot of people to apply
for the card without applying jointly.

Apparently, though, the credit limits are really high on those cards.
(max 50,000, depending on your credentials)

Bonnie Zeigler

--
Bonnie L. Zeigler

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (10/31/85)

>> Watch out for the Wilmington, Delaware offer of
>> "free" credit cards..........

> Yeah, no kidding.  After I got turned down for their supposedly
> free Master Charge, I asked some questions.    They never said
> in their application that what they really want is people who
> have lived and worked in a single location at least 5-7 years,
> and earn at least 35,000.  In addition, if you own a house with
> someone else, they calculate your obligations using the entire mortgage
> on the house - which makes it pretty hard for a lot of people to apply
> for the card without applying jointly.

Valley National Bank in Bogota NJ is still offering "free" Visa and Mastercard.
That is: no monthly or annual fees, no finance charges if you pay your
full balance within 25 days of the billing date.  Interest rate is
presently 18%.

There is some justification for using the entire mortgage to calculate
your obligations if you're sharing a house.  After all, if the other
person defaults for any reason, you are legally obligated to pay
the whole thing unless you have some very unusual arrangements.

rkp@drutx.UUCP (Russ Pierce) (11/01/85)

For people that are looking for good deals on VISA/Mastercharge, I
would suggest talking to your credit union (if you have one).  At
a credit union I am a member of, we have:

  -no annual fee
  -16% annual interest rate
  -interest applied immediately ONLY on cash advances

This seems pretty good to me.  I'm sure there are other credit
unions out there will similar deals.  Check it out.

Russell Pierce  	1200 W. 120th Ave.      	...!drutx!rkp
AT&T    		Denver, CO 80234-2795		(303) 538-2023

          "Watching and waiting, for a friend to play with.
                   Why have I been alone so long?"

tischler@ihlpg.UUCP (Mark D. Tischler) (11/02/85)

> Valley National Bank in Bogota NJ is still offering "free" Visa and Mastercard.
> That is: no monthly or annual fees, no finance charges if you pay your
> full balance within 25 days of the billing date.  Interest rate is
> presently 18%.
>
> There is some justification for using the entire mortgage to calculate
> your obligations if you're sharing a house.  After all, if the other
> person defaults for any reason, you are legally obligated to pay
> the whole thing unless you have some very unusual arrangements.

The only problem with Valley is that they require that you live
within a certain distance of them.
--

			Mark Tischler
			(312) 393-7199 (home)