[net.consumers] Pocket-sized or tiny TVs

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (10/31/85)

I'd appreciate seeing recommendations or comments on tiny or pocketable
TVs. Especially worthwhile would be comments on reliability (these
things are likely to get dropped, after all) and battery life (though
all have the capability of using external AC power supplies, their
purpose is to be easily transported, so I would expect them to be run on
batteries most of the time). Also, most would never be hooked up to
outside or large antennae, so their sensitivity and stability when using
their own whip aerials is most important, especially while being carried
or used in a moving vehicle or on public transit. And how well do they continue
to receive as batteries age, or if you use lower-voltage rechargeable
nickel-cadmium cells instead of alkaline or zinc cells?

In short, general comments and impressions from anyone who has any of
these toys would be welcomed. Are these things just gimmicks, that you
buy or get as a gift, but which end up in a drawer and unused after a
few months? Or are they worthwhile and usable appliances?

(Please post instead of mailing; mail at my home site has been broken for
some time.)

Will Martin

UUCP/USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin   or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

wan@gatech.CSNET (Peter N. Wan) (11/05/85)

In article <2661@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>I'd appreciate seeing recommendations or comments on tiny or pocketable
>TVs. Especially worthwhile would be comments on reliability (these
>things are likely to get dropped, after all) and battery life (though
>all have the capability of using external AC power supplies, their
>purpose is to be easily transported, so I would expect them to be run on
>batteries most of the time).

I have a Panasonic TV/AM/FM Stereo unit (Travelvision model TR-1020P).
I selected it after lengthy evaluation of many units, including the Sony
Watchmans and Emerson portables.  In all cases that I observed with both
units side by side, the Panasonic usually had better quality than did the
Sony, with both tuned to the same station.  The Panasonic picture was less
grainy (both units were picture tube type units).  The Emerson unit (also
with AM/FM radio, but maybe not stereo FM) was the most bulky; although
the Panasonic unit is not pocketable, it was small enough for my purposes
(it measures 1 9/16 X 4 3/16 X 6 11/16").  I looked at the LCD B/W and
color units, but I didn't consider their picture quality good enough to
invest in at this time.  Among the LCD TVs that I evaluated were the Citizen
and Casio units.  One unit that I didn't get to see, but wanted to, is the
Sinclair unit.  It is probably smaller than the one that I have, but I
couldn't find one here in Atlanta.

I carry my Panasonic in my briefcase.  The briefcase sits on the back seat
of my Camaro, and has been known to be thrown against the back of my
driver's seat when I make sudden stops in Atlanta traffic.  So far,
I have not noticed any degradation of performance in the receiver after such
impacts (the picture is still clear).  The unit seems to be sturdily made,
and can probably handle a moderate amount of abuse (the case is made of
plastic).

The unit can run off of 4 AA batteries, or it can run off of the included
rechargable NICAD pack.  The NICADs are rated at 2 hours of operation for
the television and about 8 hours for the radio.  An AC converter/recharger is
included, so that you can run the unit at home without draining the batteries.
You also get a 12V car adaptor to run the unit in your car.  The reception
seems to be okay inside of my car.

>Also, most would never be hooked up to
>outside or large antennae, so their sensitivity and stability when using
>their own whip aerials is most important, especially while being carried
>or used in a moving vehicle or on public transit.

The television and radio reception is very good using the built-in television
and AM antennas.  I have not needed to attach external signal feeds to get an
acceptable picture.  I do have problems inside buildings with heavy steel
superstructures (like my office building, alas).  The Sony unit even has a
video input (maybe from a VCR?).

>And how well do they continue
>to receive as batteries age, or if you use lower-voltage rechargeable
>nickel-cadmium cells instead of alkaline or zinc cells?

After 2 hours, the picture gradually fades, as if you have the unit tuned
improperly.  After a few more minutes, the picture and sound go out completely.
Time to recharge the batteries at this point.  I haven't had the unit long
enough to tell you what happens after it has gone through a few
charge/discharge cycles.  I suspect that alkaline cells would give me a
little longer viewing time, but I prefer the convenience of the NICADs.
Right now, the NICADs seem to be giving 2 hour performances pretty
consistently (average of 8 hours of viewing a week).

>In short, general comments and impressions from anyone who has any of
>these toys would be welcomed. Are these things just gimmicks, that you
>buy or get as a gift, but which end up in a drawer and unused after a
>few months? Or are they worthwhile and usable appliances?

The screen on my set is 1.5" measured diagonally.  Reading baseball scores is
somewhat difficult, as is reading the credits on a movie.  Attaching the
included magnifying lens (1.3X) helps a little, but still not enough to read
fine text.  I use my set to catch up on the evening news, get special weather
reports, etc.  I find that it performs acceptably for such use.  I don't think
that I would use it at home very much, since the small screen is hard to watch
for a long time.

My unit has stereo headphones for private TV and radio listening.  It has
recessed controls for vertical hold and horizontal adjustment; I guess these
don't vary much on this type of set.  My set has both contrast and brightness
controls, while the Sony Watchman had only one of those (I forget which one it
doesn't have).  I have had excellent luck with Panasonic products (tape
recorders and radios), and expect the same with this unit.  List price of this
unit is $220; a catalog showroom should be able to sell it for $179.
--
Peter N Wan
UUCP  : ...!{akgua,allegra,ihnp4,rlgvax,ut-ngp,ut-sally}!gatech!wan