[net.consumers] Beware of Manufacturers Hanover

cleric@ihlpg.UUCP (House Buyer) (10/10/85)

About one year ago I bought a house and
have simply been lazy about putting this
message out.  When I bought the house, I
assumed a mortgage that was set up 5 years
before with Manufacturers Hanover Mortgage
Corporation.  The problems I had in assuming
the loan caused so much trauma that I vowed to
steer as many people away from this company
as was possible.  Actually, I though at the
time that I might file a formal complaint
with the Better Business Bureau and with
whomever else I could think of.  But soon
after finalizing the purchase of the house,
I lost the fire in my eyes.  Thus, I decided
that I would start a "grassroots" campaign
and make Manufacturers Hanover pay by giving
them bad publicity.  So, my message to all
of you looking for housing loans:

    STAY AWAY FROM

	 MANUFACTURERS HANOVER !!!!!!!!!!

dthk@mhuxd.UUCP (D. T. Hawkins) (10/14/85)

> About one year ago I bought a house and
> have simply been lazy about putting this
> message out.  When I bought the house, I
> assumed a mortgage that was set up 5 years
> before with Manufacturers Hanover Mortgage
> Corporation.  The problems I had in assuming
> the loan caused so much trauma that I vowed to
> steer as many people away from this company
> as was possible.
> So, my message to all of you looking for housing loans:
>
>     STAY AWAY FROM
>
> 	 MANUFACTURERS HANOVER !!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't agree more.  I have 2 mortgages on investment properties with
Manufacturers Hanover (they were sold by the bank to this company), and I
have had nothing but trouble--everything from the wrong payment going to
the wrong account to misplaced checks to endless dunning notices.  I finally
got the name of a manager of the collection department and now whenever I
have any problems I just write directly to her instead of replying to the
notices.  So far, that has worked.  It's gotten to be a joke in our house:
"Another letter from Hanover."

Don Hawkins   AT&T Bell Laboratories  (201)-582-6517   ...ihnp4!mhuxd!dthk

djy@mtung.UUCP (DJ Yang) (10/14/85)

<>
Also stay away of Star States Mortgage Corp. who serves
Pennsylvania and Northern New Jersey -- they took my
application (and fee, of course) and promised for a 30 days
processing time. But after three (3) months, with average
check-status phone call from me every other day, there is
still no answer.  I even wonder if they are actually in
business (i.e. not a company try to collect application fee only!)

Where can I file an official complaint?  More important,
where can I get these kind of "stay away from ..." warnig
messages,  in case I need to purchase something else later?

mbr@aoa.UUCP (Mark Rosenthal) (10/16/85)

In article <1346@ihlpg.UUCP> cleric@ihlpg.UUCP (House Buyer) writes:
>them bad publicity.  So, my message to all
>of you looking for housing loans:
>
>    STAY AWAY FROM
>
>	 MANUFACTURERS HANOVER !!!!!!!!!!

How about some details on what they did?
--

	Mark of the Valley of Roses
	...!{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!aoa!mbr

abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (J. Abeles (Bellcore, Murray Hill, NJ)) (10/17/85)

> > So, my message to all of you looking for housing loans:
> >
> >     STAY AWAY FROM
> >
> > 	 MANUFACTURERS HANOVER !!!!!!!!!!
>
> I couldn't agree more.  I have 2 mortgages on investment properties with
> Manufacturers Hanover (they were sold by the bank to this company), and I
> have had nothing but trouble--everything from the wrong payment going to

When I began working, and paying back a $1000 student loan to Manufacturers
Hanover Trust, I had a simple question about whether I could stretch out
the repayment schedule (as I had a number of other student loans).  For
months I wrote to them and asked this question.  Finally I decided not to
respond to their requests that I begin paying the loan off until I got
at the very least an answer to my question.  This experience was truly
agonizing--though I finally got to speak to someone who wanted the money
badly enough that they answered the question (in the negative).  I had
minor other problems with them later in the repayment (now complete) as
well.  It is my belief that they employ some very unintelligent people,
but I have heard that in general bankers as a group are not particularly
intelligent.

rfrye@netex.UUCP (Rob Frye) (10/22/85)

In article <1346@ihlpg.UUCP>, cleric@ihlpg.UUCP (House Buyer) writes:
>     STAY AWAY FROM
>
> 	 MANUFACTURERS HANOVER !!!!!!!!!!

We have our mortgage with Manny-Hanny also (bought it originally thru
Goldome, who sold it to M.H.).  I'm not particularly fond of them, but
I'm not fond of anyone I give THAT much money to regularly...  What was
your original problem with Manny-Hanny?  Are they really any worse than
any other company?

By the way...is there anything one can do, short of paying the mortgage
off yourself or re-financing, to prevent one company from selling your
mortgage to another (eg -- Goldome->MH)?  Any ideas, anyone?
--
---
--

					Rob.

UUCP:	{seismo,rlgvax}!hadron!netex!rfrye

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (10/25/85)

The problem that I'm having with MH is that they mis-report our
loan.  It's a 20-year loan, and they report the outstanding balance
as being the sum of the payments remaining.  In other words, they
include the interest that they haven't earned yet.

This does terrible things to one's credit rating, since the amount
that they report is more than double what is actually owed.

I've raised h--- with them on a number of occasions, and they give
the old "that's the way the computer does it" story.  I did get them
to send me a letter giving the actual "pay-off" balance so that I
could get a car loan.  They only acquiesced after nearly a half-dozen
phone calls and me finally becoming downright abusive on the phone.

These are *not* nice people to do business with.
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {calcom1,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (10/26/85)

> By the way...is there anything one can do, short of paying the mortgage
> off yourself or re-financing, to prevent one company from selling your
> mortgage to another (eg -- Goldome->MH)?  Any ideas, anyone?

Finance with a LOCAL financial institution, or at a minimum,
one that is based in your state. You do better to go with a
savings & loan or bank than with a mortgage company. They are
more likely to retain your loan.
--
Suzanne Barnett-Scott

uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze
phone:	 (602) 998-4800
us mail: CalComp/Sanders Display Products Division
	 (Formerly Terak Corporation)
	 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (11/08/85)

["Mudman isn't evil, Tommy.  He's just sick!"]

Another amorphous datum:

The head of Manufacturers Hanover in Buffalo is named Ray Manuszewski.

The former director of Off-Track Betting in Buffalo, charged
recently with having embezzled thousands of dollars, is named
Harry Manuszewski.

Well, it's a common enough name ...
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel