[net.consumers] Telephone mailing lists

maureen@scirtp.UUCP (Maureen Chew) (10/10/85)

I often get calls between 7:30-8:30 in the evening from people
trying to sell something.  They try to sell everything from
funeral plots to light bulbs.  I find that these interruptions
are very irritating and annoying.  Even before the new
phone books came out and my name was not listed, I was
receiving these kinds of calls.
Does anyone know how one gets on these lists, or possibly how
to get off them short of having an unlisted number?
Maureen Chew
SCI Systems
{akgua, decvax}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!maureen

hpk@vax135.UUCP (Howard Katseff) (10/12/85)

Back in 1984, this was posted to usenet...

April 24, 1984  The Austin American Statesman   (they deserve credit)

		    CALL KEEPS SOLICITORS OUT

A call to 1-800-251-6320 will get your name removed from telephone
sales and soliciting lists of all members of the Direct Marketing
Association.  You get "Customer Service" of "Allan Mills Photography"
on the phone, as those folks seem to have contracted to provide this
service for DMA.  They take your name, number, and address, but I forgot
to ask if that will also take you  off junk-mailing-lists, a reasonable
assumption as you can write to DMA to request this.

I called and it really worked, I get lots fewer calls now.

Howard Katseff
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Holmdel, NJ

In article <488@scirtp.UUCP>, maureen@scirtp.UUCP (Maureen Chew) writes:
>I often get calls between 7:30-8:30 in the evening from people
>trying to sell something.  They try to sell everything from
>funeral plots to light bulbs.  I find that these interruptions
>are very irritating and annoying.  Even before the new
>phone books came out and my name was not listed, I was
>receiving these kinds of calls.
>Does anyone know how one gets on these lists, or possibly how
>to get off them short of having an unlisted number?
>Maureen Chew
>SCI Systems
>{akgua, decvax}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!maureen

Maybe they weren't calling from a list, but just dialing in sequence within
certain area exchange prefixes known to be residential.  You didn't say if
they knew your name, or just asked for the man or lady of the house, or what.
I have gotten such calls at the office when working late into the evening,
taped spiels which start up when the machine on the other end detects a voice.
Your best weapon against this is "sorry, good-bye" (if it was a person), and
hanging up the phone as soon as you know what it is; and there are phone
attachments available (such as at AT&T Phone Centers) that you can use to make
your phone seem like it is off the hook when you don't want to be bothered.
Or if you're itchy about getting important calls anyway, get a telephone (of
course I recommend AT&T phones) that is near where you are in the evening so
at least you don't have to run to catch it.  Have you ever tried asking the
caller how they got hold of your number?  If I was as steamed as you sound
over it, I would.  I have heard of a place you can write to ask that you be
taken off of junk mailing lists, but never anything concerning junk phoning.
Maybe your local phone company division can give suggestions short of going
to an unlisted number (which would not do much good anyhow against sequential
dialing).
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (10/14/85)

In article <488@scirtp.UUCP> maureen@scirtp.UUCP (Maureen Chew) writes:
>I often get calls between 7:30-8:30 in the evening from people
>trying to sell something.
>Does anyone know how one gets on these lists, or possibly how
>to get off them short of having an unlisted number?

One effective method is to invest in an answering machine. No salesman
is going to waste time with an answering machine. The nice thing about
these is that you can turn the volume up on some of them and listen
to the caller as he gives his message, and pick up the phone and begin
talking if he is someone you want to talk to. It's a great call-screening
apparatus.

A particularly insidious kind of sales call now appearing in several
cities is one which is initiated by computer, and contains recorded
questions by some mellifluous voice that requires answers in simple
digits or "yes" and "no". A voice recognition circuit then processes
your answers and asks further questions based on your former answers.
The sales pitch is usually disguised as a survey of some kind.
The despicable thing about these things is that they won't leave you
alone. If you hang up, they will just call back again.

One day my wife got a call from one of these computer systems, and her
answering machine answered. The conversation that followed was hilarious,
as it consisted of two machines talking to each other without having the
slightest idea about what each other was saying. The conversation wound
up in an endless loop, as follows:

[PHONE] *RING*

[ANSWERING MACHINE] "...At the tone, please give your message. BEEEEEP."

[PHONE] "Hello. This is [company_name], and we are taking a telephone
survey ... when I ask a question, wait for the beep, then please
speak plainly.  I will repeat your answer back to you, and verify it.
First, what is your phone number? BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP."

(The answering machine, upon hearing the beep, got confused and thought
it was a play-back command, and generated another beep in response.)

[ANSWERING MACHINE] "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP."

[PHONE] "Thank you! Your phone number was 443-28347-47756-377764-22222.
Is that correct? BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP."

[ANSWERING MACHINE] "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP."

[PHONE] "Thank you! Do you have any children? BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP."

[ANSWERING MACHINE] "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP."

[PHONE] Thank you! What is the age of your first child? BEEEEEEEEEEP."

[ANSWERING MACHINE] "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP."

[PHONE] "Your first child is 1,222 years old. Is that correct? BEEEEEP."

[ANSWERING MACHINE] "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP."

[---------------  BEGIN ENDLESS LOOP ----------------]

[PHONE] "Thank you! Do you have any more children? BEEEEEEP."

[ANSWERING MACHINE] "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP."

[PHONE] "Thank you! What is this child's age? BEEEP."

[ANSWERING MACHINE] "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP."

[PHONE] "This child is 4,233 years old. Is that correct? BEEEEP."

[ANSWERING MACHINE] "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP."

[---------------------END LOOP -----------------------]

My wife, upon noticing that the answering machine had been going for
over half an hour, turned up the volume to find out what was going on.
When she discovered this endless loop (by now she had over 200 children,
all over 1,000 years old), she switched off the answering machine. The
computer never called again.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

(The views expressed herein are the exclusive property of Dave Kirby.
Any person, living or dead, found with the same or similar opinions
will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of law.)

mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) (10/15/85)

In article <488@scirtp.UUCP> maureen@scirtp.UUCP (Maureen Chew) writes:
> I often get calls between 7:30-8:30 in the evening from people
> trying to sell something.  They try to sell everything from
> funeral plots to light bulbs.  I find that these interruptions
> are very irritating and annoying.  Even before the new
> phone books came out and my name was not listed, I was
> receiving these kinds of calls.
> Does anyone know how one gets on these lists, or possibly how
> to get off them short of having an unlisted number?

Unfortunately, many of these solicitors are not working from mailing
lists, but are just given a prefix or set of prefixes, and call every
number consecutively, returning to those numbers that are busy or
don't answer. Some of these people are working at home using local
flat-rate residential phone lines. (Presumably this is a violation of
a phone tariff; complaints to your phone company could conceivably
get results.) If they aren't working from home but are in
"boiler-room" locations, there isn't much that you can do, except try
to get the name/home phone number of a principal in the firm. Then call
THEM at 7:00 in the morning to complain. (I've done this a couple of
times.)

Michael C. Berch
mcb@lll-tis-b.ARPA
{akgua,allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,dual,ihnp4,sun}!idi!styx!mcb

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (10/15/85)

> I often get calls between 7:30-8:30 in the evening from people
> trying to sell something.  They try to sell everything from
> funeral plots to light bulbs.  I find that these interruptions
> are very irritating and annoying.  Even before the new
> phone books came out and my name was not listed, I was
> receiving these kinds of calls.
> Does anyone know how one gets on these lists, or possibly how
> to get off them short of having an unlisted number?
> Maureen Chew
> SCI Systems
> {akgua, decvax}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!maureen

Until you do get off the lists (If you can. Some companies make a living
by selling these lists) do what I do. If somebody calls me and mispronounces
my name I politely say he/she has the wrong number. If they dont know my name
they dont know me. If they get pass that hurdle the first thing I say is
"I rent". That gets rid of a lot fast.

lws@hou2d.UUCP (lwsamocha) (10/15/85)

>I often get calls between 7:30-8:30 in the evening from people
>trying to sell something.  They try to sell everything from
>funeral plots to light bulbs.
>Does anyone know how one gets on these lists, or possibly how
>to get off them short of having an unlisted number?

Unlike many people, I enjoy receiving these calls!
I will listen, quietly and attentively- even murmuring "Yeah, Oh,
really?" or "How interesting!".
Then I will say something like-
"Why this is really something I can understand (or need or whatever,
Excuse me, I'd like to write some of this down."

Then I put down the receiver.
After fifteen minutes, they're gone.

After aggravating a couple of salesmen, your name is tagged on lists
as a trouble-maker and the calls will drop off.

You'll derive much self-satisfaction too!

LWS
hou2d!lws

copp@petrus.UUCP (10/16/85)

Agreed--one easy way to punish the junk phone caller (human or machine)
is to waste his/her/its time.  Say "can you hold on a minute?", put the
phone down, and don't come back until you hear funny tones.

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (10/17/85)

> >I often get calls between 7:30-8:30 in the evening from people
> >trying to sell something.  They try to sell everything from
> >funeral plots to light bulbs.
>
> Unlike many people, I enjoy receiving these calls!
>
> Then I put down the receiver.
> After fifteen minutes, they're gone.

I hope to hell that you don't get an emergency medical phone
call while you're playing games with the phone.

The phone is a piece of equipment which I am paying for. I want
to select whomever is using it. With the phone laying idlely on
a table, it is out of my control until I -repeat- I HANG IT UP.

45223wc@mtuxo.UUCP (w.cambre) (10/17/85)

I usually sit there quietly while they go through their whole
summary of why their product will save all humanity, then simply
say 'Nope, I don't want it, goodbye!' and hang up.  You know these
people are talking over the phone all night and their voices have
to start hurting after a while.  Waste their time AND make them talk,
now that's punishment.

terryl@tekcrl.UUCP () (10/18/85)

> > I often get calls between 7:30-8:30 in the evening from people
> > trying to sell something.  They try to sell everything from
>
> Until you do get off the lists (If you can. Some companies make a living
> by selling these lists) do what I do. If somebody calls me and mispronounces
> my name I politely say he/she has the wrong number. If they dont know my name
> they dont know me.

     That's a good one. Also, if someone calls and asks for "Mrs. So-and-so"
or the lady of the house(I'm single), I tell them they have the wrong number.

     Another trick I use is to say "Gee, I'm just going out. Could you call
back???" Almost always they say yes and hang up the phone!!!!

ran@ho95e.UUCP (RANeinast) (10/18/85)

> > Does anyone know how one gets on these lists, or possibly how
> > to get off them short of having an unlisted number?
>
> Unfortunately, many of these solicitors are not working from mailing
> lists, but are just given a prefix or set of prefixes, and call every
> number consecutively, returning to those numbers that are busy or
> don't answer.
>
> Michael C. Berch

Actually, the local phone companies sell directories with the
numbers arranged by STREET ADDRESS.  I can always tell when
the solicitors are using those, because my wife and I have separate
listings (different last names).  We then get two of these
idiotic calls, one right after the other.  The solicitors are too
stupid to notice that they've just dialed the same number twice
(either that, or they are using automatic dialers, but I doubt it).
I now let the second call ring.

--

". . . and shun the frumious Bandersnatch."
Robert Neinast (ihnp4!ho95b!ran)

mcal@ihuxb.UUCP (Mike Clifford) (10/18/85)

> I usually sit there quietly while they go through their whole
> summary of why their product will save all humanity, then simply
> say 'Nope, I don't want it, goodbye!' and hang up.  You know these
> people are talking over the phone all night and their voices have
> to start hurting after a while.  Waste their time AND make them talk,
> now that's punishment.

I feel the best way to handle these calls is to either 1) get an answering
machine, or 2) tell them right away that you're not interested.  Remember
you are "wasting" YOUR time as well as theirs when you wait for them to
finish their "talk" and then tell them you're not interested.  The other
thing to keep in mind is that they are people, too, and are probably in
alot worse situation then you if they are working that sort of a job and
putting up with all flavors of jerks.  Just tell them you're not interested
right at the top and hang up.

Mike Clifford

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (10/18/85)

There is a place you can write to get off the "phone lists".  This will
help with some of the calls, anyway.  I don't have the information here,
unfortunately.

I can almost always tell the "junk calls".  My wife kept her maiden
name, so when I answer the phone, and the caller says "Mr. Gibson?",
it's usually a junk call.  Sometimes we get a "Gibson" call, and then a
"Thomas" call almost immediately afterwards.  They must have some sort
of list sorted by phone number (with name as a subkey).

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)
	"When wrath runs rampage in your heart you must hold still

mbr@aoa.UUCP (Mark Rosenthal) (10/19/85)

In article <370@cylixd.UUCP> dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:
>A particularly insidious kind of sales call now appearing in several
>cities is one which is initiated by computer, and contains recorded
>questions by some mellifluous voice that requires answers in simple
>digits or "yes" and "no".

These machines are especially obnoxious since they refuse to release your
phone line until they are done with you.  Does anybody know who manufactures
these devices, or how to find out the names and phone numbers of the
principals in these companies?  I'm sure they'd be interested in hearing
our complaints. :-)

Seriously though, I'd like to know what regulatory agencies determine
whether or not to allow this kind of solicitation.  How do we go about
getting this practice outlawed?
--

	Mark of the Valley of Roses
	...!{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!aoa!mbr

wombat@ccvaxa.UUCP (10/21/85)

Another way of dealing with evil phone-dialers-

My husband and I have different last names, and the phone is listed under
his name. If I pick up the phone and hear "Mrs. Marick?" my immediate
response is to ask them who they are. It tends to throw the caller off
guard, and they don't jump into their spiel. This gives you time to decide
which of the many other dirty tricks you wish to play on them.

"When you are about to die, a wombat is better than no company at all."
				Roger Zelazny, *Doorways in the Sand*

						Wombat
					ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!wombat

lkk@teddy.UUCP (10/21/85)

In article <1042@mtuxo.UUCP> 45223wc@mtuxo.UUCP (w.cambre) writes:

>I usually sit there quietly while they go through their whole
>summary of why their product will save all humanity, then simply
>say 'Nope, I don't want it, goodbye!' and hang up.  You know these
>people are talking over the phone all night and their voices have
>to start hurting after a while.  Waste their time AND make them talk,
>now that's punishment.

I was once a telephone solicitor (actually a surveyor, but it the same idea).
Most of the people who work at these jobs are poor or uneducated.
They make close to the minimum wage, and work under pretty lousy conditions.
They are under tremendous pressure to get sales (or surveys).

These people generally work at such places because they have to, not because
they enjoy annoying people.  Beleive me, those calls they make are hurting them
a lot more than they are hurting you.

If someone calls you up and you're not interested, please just say so
politiely.  There's really no reason to extend the suffering of these
individuals.   BEING OBNOXIOUS TO THEM WILL NOT STOP THEM FROM CALLING.  They
call you based on computerized lists of numbers.  They're certainly not going
to remember the next time who was obnoxious and who wasn't.

--

Sport Death,
Larry Kolodney

Life is either a daring adventure,
or nothing.
- Helen Keller

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (10/21/85)

> The sales pitch is usually disguised as a survey of some kind.

I won't answer questions for phone surveys; I wonder if the legit
survey operators are aware that the "population" they reach has
been altered?

In case someone hadn't heard yet... certain unscrupulous folks claim
to be making surveys when in fact they're filling in a credit card
application with your name, address, job and credit data, and *their*
post office box number.  You can probably guess why :-(     Don't EVER
give out job and credit information in response to a "survey".
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {calcom1,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

ron@hpfcla.UUCP (10/21/85)

The response containing the toll-free number that people can call
to have their names (and phone numbers) removed from telephone
solicitation lists  is no longer effective.

The operator will offer, instead, an ADDRESS you can write to to have
your name removed from their INTRUSIVE TELEPHONE calling.

I will try to find the number you can call.  Isn't it ironic that they
don't give out the number so you can call THEM ????

Ron Miller

No one has ever gone broke UNDERestimating the intelligence of the American
public !

FSD Service Engineering  (Hardware Support)
Hewlett-Packard Co.
Ft. Collins Systems Div.
Ft. Collins Colorado
303-226-3800

at: {ihnp4}hpfcla!ron

ron@hpfcla.UUCP (10/21/85)

Through a little sleuthing I came up with the following:

The Direct Marketing Association keeps a list of names and numbers of those
people who desire NOT to be called. Members of the DMA (supposedly) abide
by this list. Note that your local merchants don't necessarily belong and
you may still get calls from people dialing on the basis of newspaper
reports of your misfortune, or sequentially trying to get blanket
coverage. Nevertheless, your vote with these guys may get a message across.
To be removed,call   212-689-4977  Direct Marketing Assn.  The office is
in NYC.

Hope this works  !

lauren@yale.ARPA (Lauren Smith) (10/23/85)

>If someone calls you up and you're not interested, please just say so
>politiely.  There's really no reason to extend the suffering of these
>individuals.   BEING OBNOXIOUS TO THEM WILL NOT STOP THEM FROM CALLING.  They
>call you based on computerized lists of numbers.  They're certainly not going
>to remember the next time who was obnoxious and who wasn't.

The problem is that the solicitors rarely even listen to you until they
are done with the sales pitch (which I do not want to listen).  If you
try to tell them that you are not interested, they do not listen, and
continue on with the sales pitch - hence the only way to get out of it
is to hang-up mid-sentence or be obnoxious.  When a solicitor does not
listen to me when I say that I am not interested, I consider that obnoxious,
and have no qualms about being obnoxious back.

What is even worse is when the solicitors make mistakes (and refuse to
admit it) or "make up" sales.  I was away all of the summer, so my apt.
was empty.  I discovered when I got back that through a "successful
phone solicitation" in early August, I was now subscribed to the local paper.
Now, unless a burglar got into my apt, and answered the phone (highly
unlikely, and no signs of entry), there was a mistake on the part of the
solicitors somewhere.  I explained the situation to the newspaper (I was
not about to pay for a month of papers that I did not order) and said
that I could prove that I was out of state at the time, and noone was in
my apartment.  Well, the paper said fine, and I thought that was that.
Obviously, they got back to the solicitors about the problem - because the
next thing I knew was that I was getting late evening phone calls (after
10:00) from the solictitors.  I explained the situation several times (several
calls from different people on successive evenings) and wasn't
getting anywhere.  Then the solicitor who claimed that I had answered
the phone called me (after 11:00 PM, waking me up), and
started calling me a liar, and started lecturing me and swearing at me.
I hung up.  The supervisor called right after that, and also begain
tirading me - well, I informed her that I was going to sue for
harassment - that shut her up quickly.  The following day, I called the
newspaper, explained the situation again, explained the treatment that
I was getting from the solicitors (the swearing and name-calling), and told
the paper that if I ever heard from them or the solicitors again, they would
have a harassment suit on their hands.  I have not had a local soliciting
phone call since - I've probably been marked as a trouble-maker (thankfully).
Now, if only I could be removed from regional/national lists...

- Lauren Smith

ARPA: smith-lauren@yale

al@mot.UUCP (Al Filipski) (10/23/85)

<>
I recently received a call from "A Computer" with some recorded sales
pitch on it with pauses for me to respond with answers to questions.
During the first pause I started to explain that I thought companies
that used automatic dialers to drum up business were scum and I
wouldn't buy anything from them if they were the last on earth, etc.
when suddenly the thing hangs up on me.  It was evidently being
monitored by a real person (either that or AI is more advanced than
I thought :-).  But then why play the "computer" tape at all?

Alan Filipski, UNIX group, Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ U.S.A
{seismo|ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!mot!al  |   ucbvax!arizona!asuvax!mot!al
"Congratulations! You may already be a wiener..."

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (10/24/85)

This is STella, no mmatter what it says in the header!

In article <1468@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP (Larry K. Kolodney) writes:
>I was once a telephone solicitor (actually a surveyor, but it the same idea).
>Most of the people who work at these jobs are poor or uneducated.
>They make close to the minimum wage, and work under pretty lousy conditions.
>They are under tremendous pressure to get sales (or surveys).
>
>These people generally work at such places because they have to, not because
>they enjoy annoying people.  Beleive me, those calls they make are hurting them
>a lot more than they are hurting you.
>
>If someone calls you up and you're not interested, please just say so
>politiely.  There's really no reason to extend the suffering of these
>individuals.   BEING OBNOXIOUS TO THEM WILL NOT STOP THEM FROM CALLING.  They
>call you based on computerized lists of numbers.  They're certainly not going
>to remember the next time who was obnoxious and who wasn't.

Thank you, Larry, you make a good point.  I too have been a phone pimp, and
you're right on.  When I get a call from a boiler room, I say, "I don't want
to waste your time, because I've been a phone pimp.  However, I do not buy
over the phone, respond to phone surveys, or want to be rude to you.  If you
want to chat for a minute, it might relax you, and I'm willing to do that, but
I don't want to waste your time."  They usually thank me and go away.
Sometimes, we talk for a couple of minutes.

But I recently had an odd experience.  I received a call from a machine that
claimed to be representing AT&T.  I firmly said, "I do not talk to machines!"
and hung up.  By and by, I got a letter thanking me for choosing AT&T as my
long distance phone company.

When I called to ask when I had done THAT, the human cited a date, the very
date I received this call from the robo-pimp.  And insisted that I had placed
the call MYSELF!  MCI (my co. of choice) was very "amused" at this when I told
them, but my local phone co. eventually straightened things out.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?  Or was this just a coincidence?

				STella Calvert

		Every man and every woman is a star.

Guest on:	...!decvax!frog!wjr
Life:		Baltimore!AnnArbor!Smyrna!<LotsOfHitchhikingAndShortVisits>
			!SantaCruz!Berkeley!AnnArbor!Taxachussetts
Future:			...	(!L5!TheBelt!InterstellarSpace)

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (10/24/85)

On harrassing telephone solicitors:
> I was once a telephone solicitor (actually a surveyor, but it the same idea).
> Most of the people who work at these jobs are poor or uneducated.
> They make close to the minimum wage, and work under pretty lousy conditions.
> They are under tremendous pressure to get sales (or surveys).

Bad conditions are unfortunate, but not in the least germane to the
subject, which is the nuisance effect of the calls.

> These people generally work at such places because they have to, not because
> they enjoy annoying people.  Beleive me, those calls they make are hurting them
> a lot more than they are hurting you.

Let's see...they're making money to annoy me...and they're suffering more?
B.S.  I'll accept it when I get paid for junk calls, with a bonus for when
they interrupt something important or tie up my phone when I'm expecting a
useful call.

> If someone calls you up and you're not interested, please just say so
> politiely...

Even though they're being as rude as can be to me...

> ...There's really no reason to extend the suffering of these
> individuals...

Their "suffering" is not my problem.  I didn't ask them to annoy me.  If
they do, they're at a bad point to ask me for sympathy.  (I'm sorry, Mr.
Dunn, I don't really want to rob you, but my boss says it's necessary for
me to make a living.  Please put your hands in the air or I'll be forced to
shoot you...not that I want to, mind you.)  Oh, CRAP, does ANYONE in this
rapidly-becoming-second-rate-nation believe one iota in personal
responsibility?!  The callers can either try to find an honest job or they
can develop a thick skin about what they're doing.

>...BEING OBNOXIOUS TO THEM WILL NOT STOP THEM FROM CALLING.

That's the only REALLY good argument so far against being obnoxious--that
it doesn't work!
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...At last it's the real thing...or close enough to pretend.

becky@cylixd.UUCP (Becky Bates) (10/25/85)

> > The sales pitch is usually disguised as a survey of some kind.
>
> I won't answer questions for phone surveys; I wonder if the legit
> survey operators are aware that the "population" they reach has
> been altered?
>
> In case someone hadn't heard yet... certain unscrupulous folks claim
> to be making surveys when in fact they're filling in a credit card
> application with your name, address, job and credit data, and *their*
> post office box number.  You can probably guess why :-(     Don't EVER
> give out job and credit information in response to a "survey".
> --
> Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {calcom1,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH CREDIT LINE ***

Doug I don't subscribe to this news group but a co-worker showed me
your article and I thought I would tell you all about a few of the
crack calls I have gotten.

CASE #1 -

We recently had our Mid-South Fair and I entered several of the contests
for free (anything).  Well as I did this there was this little voice in
the back of my mind, (Remember Rosanna Rosanna Danna? on SNLIVE?), like
my mother always said you need to be careful what you sign up for and
what you sign !!period!!  Well about 3 weeks later I got a call from
this Vacation travel agency out of Boca Rotan, Fla. , they always seem
to be out of Boca Rotan or close to the coast so the FBI can't find
their boat or operation.  They told me I had won a free vacation, in
fact 3 that I could take in the course of a year.  One to Disneyworld,
one in Jamaca or Bahamas (sp), and one, guess where, Accupulco (sp)
Mexico.  By the way this call came the week of the earthquake happened
and the guy insured me that his hotel was still standing, can you
imagine? You would have to pay air fare and everything else except
the hotel fee.

Case #2 - I received a call from a gentleman with a British accent
again from the Florida area.  He wanted me to invest in art pieces
at a cost of only $900.00 dollars and guess what it was as easy as
giving him my credit card number.

Be careful people, never give your number over the phone.  If it is
something you really want get their name,number and address and tell
them you will call them back.  Then call the Better Business Bureau,
FBI, or whatever is necessary to insure that you will not have a
$0.00 balance in your checking account anytime soon.

Just some helpful hints from a potential victim that did not become
one.

	RCA - Cylix (part of Globecom now!) big whoop
	Becky Bates
	Memphis, TN.
	!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!becky

goldman@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Ken Goldman) (10/28/85)

> to start hurting after a while.  Waste their time AND make them talk,
> now that's punishment.

Assuming that they call at a reasonable time (they usually do), I try
to cut off the pitch as politely as possible.  I figure these people
have found a very difficult way to earn a living and the last thing
they need is a wise guy trying to punish them.  Try saying something
nice before you hang up - it will make you both feel good.

rjn@hpfcla.UUCP (10/29/85)

re: some mail that I got on this topic [telephone solicitation]:

> I agree with your  article and do exactly  what you advise,  only at times I
> get the people  calling back and then saying  obscenities.  I recognize  the
> voice, and it generally will happen immediately after the call.
>
> What I want to know is, isn't  there a FCC (????  or one of those  wonderful
> government agencies) that issues licenses to telephone solicitators???
>
> Possibly, if you ask the junk caller for the licenses  number this may scare
> them  away and put your name on the list of all of those "to smart to bother
> with" consumers.

"Wonderful government agencies" is a contradiction in terms.  In any case, I
am not aware that ANY kind of license is required to USE a telephone for any
purpose  (and  please  don't  give  them any  ideas).  The FCC does  license
equipment  which is to be connected  to the phone  system, but that does not
affect how it is used.

The real  problem with a phone  company is that it is a geographic  monopoly
(enforced by statute).  Where  there's no freedom,  there's no  competition,
and there's no choice.  So the phone  company has to establish  rules of use
(tarrifs) which suit the greatest  number (or most  influential  regulator).
They have little  incentive to explore  alternate  forms of  agreement  with
individual  subscribers,  since you have  nowhere  else to go.  Change comes
slowly in such markets.

Nonetheless, I understand that some exchanges are now adding services like:
* Denial of connection by callers whose number you specify.
* Instant tracing of locally placed calls.  You can lodge complaints more
  easily.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                            3404 East Harmony Road
hplabs!hpfcla!rjn                                     Fort Collins CO  80525

ron@hpfcla.UUCP (10/29/85)

Responding to "never give them your card #"

It is worth saying that there is a modification to this statement.

Never give them your card # if they call you.

I enjoy the convenience of using telephone ordering of merchandise but
I am careful to choose reputable companies and I am the one doing the
calling.  Even this probably has a bit of risk but I feel it is minimal.

As for them calling me, well, I don't let them get far enough thru their
pitch to ask for the sale before the call is ended.

ken@birtch.UUCP (Ken) (10/30/85)

> In article <370@cylixd.UUCP> dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:
> >A particularly insidious kind of sales call now appearing in several
> >cities is one which is initiated by computer, and contains recorded
> >  .
> >  .
>
> These machines are especially obnoxious since they refuse to release your
> phone line until they are done with you.
>   .
>   .

I agree.  One of these machines called the number where I work (my boss
had a private line to his office, and he was away).  It started the
recording, and I hung up.  IT CALLED BACK!!  and started the recording
over again.  Again, I hung up, and, yes, it called back.  The thing
would not let me (the phone line) go until it had played the whole
message (about two minutes worth).

If anyone out there in net_land works at one of these places that use
this type of machine, or knows someone who does, tell them to *PLEASE*
allow the person who answers to hang up, without being harassed!

				respectfully,
					Ken B.

billfoy@aero.ARPA (Bill Foy) (10/30/85)

Although, leaving the caller waiting for you to return to the phone
certainly does waste his time, it wastes yours too, not to mention making
your number unavailable to other callers.  What I have found to be effective
is to simply say "I don't accept phone solicitations." without acknowledging
or answering any of the lead in comments or questions.  The polite ones say
"Thanks you" and hang up; the others just hang up.

Bill Foy

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (11/01/85)

> > to start hurting after a while.  Waste their time AND make them talk,
> > now that's punishment.
>
> Assuming that they call at a reasonable time (they usually do), I try
> to cut off the pitch as politely as possible.  I figure these people
> have found a very difficult way to earn a living and the last thing
> they need is a wise guy trying to punish them.  Try saying something
> nice before you hang up - it will make you both feel good.

Thank you very much. My wife works night about three times a week.
When she doesn't she does telephone surveys for a marketing research
company. She announces herself, what she would like the callee to do,
which is watch a tv program, and say that someone would call the next
day to get their response.

The whole bit takes 30 seconds. 30 SECONDS. Usually she gets about 5
people to agree and maybe 3 watch. $3 bucks a person. Works about from
6:30 to 8:00 p.m. for $9. (would you do it?).

We have three kids all under 5 and no twins and the last thing she needs
is some smart ass playing kid games.

I thank the above poster for having some human feelings left.

tuba@ur-tut.UUCP (Jon Krueger) (11/05/85)

>>A particularly insidious kind of sales call now appearing in several
>>cities is one which is initiated by computer . . .
>>These machines are especially obnoxious since they refuse to release your
>>phone line until they are done with you.

>I agree.  One of these machines called the number where I work (my boss
>had a private line to his office, and he was away).  It started the
>recording, and I hung up.  IT CALLED BACK!!  and started the recording
>over again.  Again, I hung up, and, yes, it called back.  The thing
>would not let me (the phone line) go until it had played the whole
>message (about two minutes worth).

In beautiful Rochester, New York, a photo shop called Camera Castle bought
some autodialers and turned them loose.  I received two calls from them,
both starting with a taped message saying "you may have already won a
Commodore 64 Color Computer!"  Imagine my delight.  I was able to hang up on
both calls.  But I felt that hanging up the first call should have told
Camera Castle I wasn't interested.

I decided I don't pay Rochester Telephone $14 per month to receive
unsolicited advertising.  In my view, private phone lines simply are not an
acceptable medium for commercial advertising.  I can turn off the TV or
radio if the ads get too bad, I can stop a newspaper or magazine
subscription, but I can't unplug the phone.  Any time it rings, it might be
IMPORTANT.  So any time it rings, it interrupts my life.  I pay my monthly
phone bill for the service of a private and dependable communications
medium.  I feel it's worth my bucks so that people can reach me.  Camera
Castle and their ilk have no right to interrupt my life and steal my time
and my phone service.

I called Camera Castle and requested that they stop calling me.  I also
asked them to stop calling anyone.  They refused.  I called Roch Tel, got
their annoyance call complaint, and sent it in.  At their suggestion, I
called the NYS attorney general and filled out a consumer complaint.  Both
Roch Tel and the attorney general's office told me that unsolicited automated
phone advertising is legal, but many consumers are pissed about it.

Most of the discussion in this newsgroup has centered around getting calls
from people.  I was once a telephone solicitor myself.  I didn't like my
work, but I needed the money at the time.  So I tolerate a few calls from
people.  Some employment is being generated, and the cost of that employment
limits the amount of advertising that will be done this way.  Of course,
neither is true when an automated system makes the calls.  As an added
danger, there are some circumstances where the receiving end can't break the
connection.  I have never known this to be true when people make the calls.

--

-- Jon Krueger
UUCP:	...seismo!rochester!ur-tut!tuba

mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (11/06/85)

>> Assuming that they call at a reasonable time (they usually do), I try
>> to cut off the pitch as politely as possible.  I figure these people
>> have found a very difficult way to earn a living and the last thing
>> they need is a wise guy trying to punish them.  Try saying something
>> nice before you hang up - it will make you both feel good.
>
>Thank you very much. My wife works night about three times a week.
>When she doesn't she does telephone surveys for a marketing research
>company. She announces herself, what she would like the callee to do,
>which is watch a tv program, and say that someone would call the next
>day to get their response.
>
>The whole bit takes 30 seconds. 30 SECONDS. Usually she gets about 5
>people to agree and maybe 3 watch. $3 bucks a person. Works about from
>6:30 to 8:00 p.m. for $9. (would you do it?).
>
>We have three kids all under 5 and no twins and the last thing she needs
>is some smart ass playing kid games.
>
>I thank the above poster for having some human feelings left.

But, still, what makes you apparently believe that you have the RIGHT to
intrude, uninvited, upon people in their homes?  Do YOU listen to the full
sales pitch of salesmen or religious advocates who come by your door or meet
you on the street?  In one case (salesmen), they have the same motivation.
In the other (religious), they sincerely believe that they are offering you
the greatest possible gift.
   ...Larry Mazlack

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (11/07/85)

> >Thank you very much. My wife works night about three times a week.
> >When she doesn't she does telephone surveys for a marketing research
> >company. She announces herself, what she would like the callee to do,
> >which is watch a tv program, and say that someone would call the next
> >day to get their response.
> >
> But, still, what makes you apparently believe that you have the RIGHT to
> intrude, uninvited, upon people in their homes?  Do YOU listen to the full
> sales pitch of salesmen or religious advocates who come by your door or meet
> you on the street?  In one case (salesmen), they have the same motivation.
> In the other (religious), they sincerely believe that they are offering you
> the greatest possible gift.
>    ...Larry Mazlack

I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
why their is a phone book). You have the right to hang up on me. If you
don't want your privacy invaded, a. Dont have a phone  b. Unplug it when you
don't use it.

andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (11/08/85)

> My wife works night about three times a week.
> When she doesn't she does telephone surveys for a marketing research
> company. She announces herself, what she would like the callee to do,
> which is watch a tv program, and say that someone would call the next
> day to get their response.
>
> The whole bit takes 30 seconds. 30 SECONDS. Usually she gets about 5
> people to agree and maybe 3 watch. $3 bucks a person. Works about from
> 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. for $9. (would you do it?).
>
> We have three kids all under 5 and no twins and the last thing she needs
> is some smart ass playing kid games.

My Uncle Lenny also has a hard time finding work.  To put food on the
table, he had to take a job as an enforcer for a downtown loan shark.
It's not so bad, really ... he enters a deadbeat's home or place of
business, announces himself, what he would like the client to do,
spends no more than two or three minutes roughing the fellow up, then
leaves after saying that someone would call later in the week to get
their response.  It really upsets him when the client resists; Uncle
Lenny is on a tight schedule (he's paid by the number of broken bones)
and the last thing he needs is some smartass playing games.

:-)   (for the gullible)

I don't care how polite a junk phone caller is, or how little of my
time they want to take, or how worthwhile their concern is, or how
badly they need the money.  If they interrupt me in the privacy of my
home (ever notice that it's almost always during dinner?), they deserve
only contempt.

I experimented with a number of schemes, but now, as soon as I
determine that it's a junk phone call, I hang up.  I don't slam down
the phone, I don't say anything (rude or otherwise); I just minimize
the instrusion.  Fortunately Oregon has a law requiring all junk
callers to identify their purpose within the first thirty seconds.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (tekecs!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

kemasa@sdcc13.UUCP (kemasa) (11/08/85)

In article <1979@bmcg.UUCP> bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) writes:
>I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
>why their is a phone book). You have the right to hang up on me. If you
>don't want your privacy invaded, a. Dont have a phone  b. Unplug it when you
>don't use it.

You have to right to call any number?  I think there is a law againest prank
phone calls.  Is it absurd to say unplug it or don't have a phone.  It
is for calling for emergency and other such things.  How would you like
it to have everyone on the net calling you every hour so that no one else
could get a hold of you in case of emergency because you unplugged it?
I don't care about junk mail, but junk phone calls bother me, especially
when they don't use real people to and use computers or recorded messages.
The phone book is to find the number of someone you want to talk to, not
to try to sell strangers things.  Does that also mean that your door is
there for people to knock on? and that you should seal it up if
you don't want salemen to come?  It is easy to put a sign 'no salemem'
or something like that, but with the phone they say you can have it excluded
from the reverse index, but police and fire depts. use it.  So what do
you do.  I don't think the solution is to do without because of abuse
by others.

				Kemasa.

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (11/08/85)

> In article <1979@bmcg.UUCP> bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) writes:
> >I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
> >why their is a phone book). You have the right to hang up on me. If you
> >don't want your privacy invaded, a. Dont have a phone  b. Unplug it when you
> >don't use it.
>
> You have to right to call any number?  I think there is a law againest prank
> phone calls.  Is it absurd to say unplug it or don't have a phone.  It

Wait a minute!!!! I did not say anything about prank phone calls. What I said
was that I can dial any number in the phone book and say Hello.

> is for calling for emergency and other such things.  How would you like
> it to have everyone on the net calling you every hour so that no one else
> could get a hold of you in case of emergency because you unplugged it?

If you value your privacy THAT much get a unlisted phone number. Or if
you are economy minded (cheap) dont, but list the name in the phone book
as someone else.

> I don't care about junk mail, but junk phone calls bother me, especially
> when they don't use real people to and use computers or recorded messages.

I'm not talking about computer or recorded messages.

> The phone book is to find the number of someone you want to talk to, not
> to try to sell strangers things.  Does that also mean that your door is

The solicitor wanted to talk to you so they used the phone book.

cc-06@ucbcory.BERKELEY.EDU (Ilya Goldberg) (11/11/85)

In article <1979@bmcg.UUCP> bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) writes:
>I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
>why their is a phone book). You have the right to hang up on me. If you
>don't want your privacy invaded, a. Dont have a phone  b. Unplug it when you
>don't use it.

	You are WRONG!  Your phone book will give you a complete list of
rules as to who you may and may not call.  Just as a small example,
try calling your local police station's emergency phone number (which
IS listed in the phone book) without a reason and see what they think
about that.

							Ilya

ecl@mtgzz.UUCP (e.c.leeper) (11/11/85)

> I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
> why their is a phone book). You have the right to hang up on me. If you
> don't want your privacy invaded, a. Dont have a phone  b. Unplug it when you
> don't use it.

As for the idea that because there is a phone book, you have the right to
interrupt me whenever you want, that's like saying that because I am walking
down a public street, you have the right to stop me and refuse to let me pass
until you've given me your spiel.  Both are bunk!

(The other (often-suggested) solution is to have an unlisted phone number.  This
doesn't work--many companies just dial sequentially.)

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (11/11/85)

> > My wife works night about three times a week.
> > When she doesn't she does telephone surveys for a marketing research
> > company. She announces herself, what she would like the callee to do,
> > which is watch a tv program, and say that someone would call the next
> > day to get their response.
> >
> I experimented with a number of schemes, but now, as soon as I
> determine that it's a junk phone call, I hang up.  I don't slam down
> the phone, I don't say anything (rude or otherwise); I just minimize
> the instrusion.  Fortunately Oregon has a law requiring all junk
> callers to identify their purpose within the first thirty seconds.
>
>   -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
>                         (tekecs!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

Thank You Andrew, that is the point I was making. Wish more people had
been like you. If these phone calls are offensive to someone just hang
up. Why be a baby and perform kindergarten pranks to get even. Get even
with who? My wife just shrugs and figures these people didn't have
enough grey matter to make a desicion anyway.

     ------ sdcsvax!bmcg!bobn      bob nebert

kemasa@sdcc13.UUCP (kemasa) (11/11/85)

I think what this whole thing comes down to is a way to allow people to
look up your phone number if they forget it without having to put up
with junk phone calls.  It is easy to put up a sign in front of your
house saying no salespeople, but how do you do the same thing with the
phone.  I don't like being rude to people who call, or come to the door,
but it is sometimes bothersome to deal with.  With these methods you can't
look over the material as you can with junk mail.  I don' want to limit
my phone to only the people I have thought to give my number to by
getting an unlisted number, but that doesn't mean I want every salesman
to call me.  It would be nice if the people who called asked after about
15 seconds if you are interested and take NO as answer so you don't have
to be rude.  I really don't care to tell a newspaper why I decided to
get another paper instead of their paper, I also don't like being
asked to get a paper I already get.  I once was called several times
on our two phone lines for some photograph to be taken (You have won,
now just call this number to collect...) and when I complained that
their machine kept calling I was told if you don't like it, don't answer!
If the phone company would allow you to know the number of the calling
party I think it would get rid of junk phone calls and prank calls, and
I don't think it would be that hard to impliment.

					Kemasa.

mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (11/11/85)

In article <1981@bmcg.UUCP> bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) writes:
>> In article <1979@bmcg.UUCP> bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) writes:
>> >I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
>> >why their is a phone book). You have the right to hang up on me. If you
>> >don't want your privacy invaded, a. Dont have a phone  b. Unplug it when you
>> >don't use it.
>>
>> You have to right to call any number?  I think there is a law againest prank
>> phone calls.  Is it absurd to say unplug it or don't have a phone.  It
>
>If you value your privacy THAT much get a unlisted phone number. Or if
>you are economy minded (cheap) dont, but list the name in the phone book
>as someone else.

I think that you have missed something in all this discussion.  And that thing
is that MOST telephone soliciters DO NOT USE the "normal" telephone book, but
instead use an autodialer which simply incrementally calls all telelephone
numbers in an exchange, no matter how they are listed.  Or, if they are being
a little more selective, they use a "reverse directory" which lists phone
numbers incrementally by street address.

Irregardless, I still believe the issue is one of personal space and privacy.
You are probably unhappy when a person approaches you on the street to sell
you something.  Even more so, when you are in your private, personal space.
   ... Larry Mazlack

res@ihlpl.UUCP (Rich Strebendt @ AT&T Information Systems - Indian Hill West; formerly) (11/12/85)

> > >Thank you very much. My wife works night about three times a week.
> > >When she doesn't she does telephone surveys for a marketing research
> > >company.
> >
> > But, still, what makes you apparently believe that you have the RIGHT to
> > intrude, uninvited, upon people in their homes?
>
> I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
> why their is a phone book).

BULLSHIT!!! I have a phone so that I can call people and businesses I
need to contact (such as relatives and department stores), and to
receive calls from people who need to contact me on business in which I
am interested (such as information that my order has arrived at Sears,
or that a friend is inviting us to dinner).  I do not have one so that
any clown in the country can call me at three in the morning to shout
obscenities at me, or so that a telephone sales person can offer me
such a deal for a product that I have no interest in.  Both of these
latter cases are examples of unwanted intrusion into my home.

> You have the right to hang up on me. If you
> don't want your privacy invaded, a. Dont have a phone  b. Unplug it when you
> don't use it.

This is like suggesting that if I don't want my home burglarized I
should not have doors in the home.  Double bullshit.

					Rich Strebendt
					...!ihnp4!iwsl6!res

ron@hpfcla.UUCP (11/12/85)

I hear several concerns:

1. How come I have to take this ?

2. How can I stop it ?

It seems like most of the responses are in category 1.  I strenuously
object to the practice of telephone solicitation but being rude to the
caller will not prevent the next sales caller.

I want to know, HOW CAN I PREVENT THEM FROM CALLING IN THE FIRST PLACE ??

(So far, not a damn thing !)

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (11/12/85)

> I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
> why their is a phone book). You have the right to hang up on me. If you
> don't want your privacy invaded, a. Dont have a phone  b. Unplug it when you
> don't use it.

You mean "there is a phone book".  No, bimbo, that's not why there's a
phone book, and if you call me just for the hell of it, I will tell the
phone company that you're using the phone to create a nuisance.  You do not
have the right to intrude on someone else, and I'm sorry that you've got
such a perverted notion of freedom as to think so.

Where did your "right" come from?  I know, the 43rd Amendment to the
Constitution of the United States of America...the right to inflict your
obnoxious presence on whoever will tolerate it?
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...If you get confused just listen to the music play...

tuba@ur-tut.UUCP (Jon Krueger) (11/13/85)

In article <1979@bmcg.UUCP> bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) writes:
>I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
>why there is a phone book).

You have the ability to call any number in the book.  You also have the
ability to call the unlisted numbers, as is done by autodialers that call
sequences of numbers.  You also have the ability to knock on any door of any
residence.  In fact, many physical paths are available to you to interrupt
people, tie up their communication links, and waste their time.  Any such
path gives you the ability.  None of them gives you the right.  Suppose I
buy phone service which screens out your calls.  Have I infringed on your
rights?  No, I've exercised mine.

>You have the right to hang up on me. If you don't want your privacy
>invaded, a. Don't have a phone b. Unplug it when you don't use it.

Should I also blockade my door when I'm not using it?  Do you believe that
wherever I provide access to my life, you have the right to abuse it?  I pay
my access fees so that people can reach me.  Are you willing to pay me back
to compensate me for my loss of phone service?  I'll add a surcharge to
cover my time lost and inconvenience suffered.  If you're willing to go the
expense, you can buy the right.

My .signature lists several ways of reaching me.  I provide the list as a
courtesy to those who would like to reach me.  You may not conclude that you
have the right to do so.  For instance, I could change my network address or
phone number.  I would not be violating your rights, but rather exercising
mine.

ron@hpfcla.UUCP (11/13/85)

Oh gasp !

Not Commercials-Removed-From-Television-and-Placed-On-The-Phone-Line !!!!

Surely there would be legislation if the advertising medium-of-choice became
the telephone.

I really hate legislating solutions but.... I would support a law prohibiting
telephone solicitation or a compromise requiring that such companies check
the database which has a PERMISSION GRANTED or NOT GRANTED category besides
name, telephone #, annual income, debt level, home-owner/not  etc

It sure would be nice if phone technology could advance to the point of
an electronic "No Solicitors" sign.

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (11/13/85)

> In article <1979@bmcg.UUCP> bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) writes:
> >I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
> >why their is a phone book). You have the right to hang up on me. If you
> >don't want your privacy invaded, a. Dont have a phone  b. Unplug it when you
> >don't use it.
>
> 	You are WRONG!  Your phone book will give you a complete list of
> rules as to who you may and may not call.  Just as a small example,
> try calling your local police station's emergency phone number (which
> IS listed in the phone book) without a reason and see what they think
> about that.
>
> 							Ilya

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE OUT THERE????? DOSEN'T ANYBODY REMEMBER
HOW TO READ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

> try calling your local police station's emergency phone number (which
> IS listed in the phone book) without a reason and see what they think

I never said anything about calling without a reason. ALL I SAID WAS
I CAN LEGALLY CALL ANY NUMBER IN THE PHONE BOOK AND NOT GET PUT IN JAIL
FOR DOING IT. IF I CALL THE POLICE EMERGENCY NUMBER I BETTER HAVE A
DAMN GOOD REASON, OF COURSE.

 Rick Adams mailed this to me:
     {
> I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
> why their is a phone book). You have the right to hang up on me. If you
> don't want your privacy invaded, a. Dont have a phone  b. Unplug it when you
> don't use it.

So what if I have an unlisted number? I still get the shit calls because
they don't use the phone book. They dial sequentially.
---rick
      }
If you had a unlisted phone number it wouldn't be in the goddamn phone
book would it? I'm not talking about autodialing. I hate that also. My
wife works from ONLY a phone book.

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (11/13/85)

> > I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
> > why their is a phone book). You have the right to hang up on me. If you
> > don't want your privacy invaded, a. Dont have a phone  b. Unplug it when you
> > don't use it.
>
> As for the idea that because there is a phone book, you have the right to
> interrupt me whenever you want, that's like saying that because I am walking
> down a public street, you have the right to stop me and refuse to let me pass
> until you've given me your spiel.  Both are bunk!
>
> (The other(often-suggested) solution is to have an unlisted phone number. This
> doesn't work--many companies just dial sequentially.)
>
> 					Evelyn C. Leeper
> 					...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl

When this discussion started it was about politeness when they call. It has
turned into if they can legally call. It's a big difference, but anyway.
As far as your statement above, Evelyn, your correct except I cannot
physically stop you. If you care to listen to my spiel, stop. If you don't,
keep walking. If I follow and keep yaking, thats wrong and thats harrassment,
maybe?

I just wanted to point out in the beginning that people have the right to
use the phone to work and some politeness would be nice. Everybody gets
up on the wrong side of the bed once in a while and can be grumpy but
don't you react better to a smile than a frown?

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (11/14/85)

In article <358@sdcc13.UUCP> kemasa@sdcc13.UUCP (kemasa) writes:
>I think what this whole thing comes down to is a way to allow people to
>look up your phone number if they forget it without having to put up
>with junk phone calls.  It is easy to put up a sign in front of your
>house saying no salespeople, but how do you do the same thing with the
>phone. ...

I think you've got the answer here.  The phone company, and other directory
publishers,  should  have  a service where a special character is placed by
your entry in the directories (especially the  reverse  directories).  Said
character  to  be  the  equivalent  of a "No Solicitors" sign on your door.
Anyone (or anything (-: ) calling such a  marked  number  for  purposes  of
delivering  a  sales  pitch would be subject to prosecution just as obscene
phone callers are now.

(Note: you probably don't want to be delisted from the  reverse  directory.
Other  people  use them besides salesmen.  E.g.: suicide prevention centers
use them to trace callers in emergency situations).

>If the  phone  company would  allow  you to know the number of the calling
>party I think it would get rid of junk phone calls and prank calls, and
>I don't think it would be that hard to impliment.

This is being implemented in some areas, but  it's  expensive  and  doesn't
work with long-distance calls yet.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    The more I work with C, the more I
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             appreciate the simple elegance of
Santa Monica, CA  90405           FORTRAN.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (11/14/85)

> > > But, still, what makes you apparently believe that you have the RIGHT to
> > > intrude, uninvited, upon people in their homes?
> >
> > I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
> > why their is a phone book).
>
> BULLSHIT!!! I have a phone so that I can call people and businesses I
> need to contact (such as relatives and department stores), and to

Okay, so far so good. Remember now that the solicitors have phones so that
they can call people that they need to contact. (If it's a valid reason
for you it's a valid reason for them).

> receive calls from people who need to contact me on business in which I
> am interested (such as information that my order has arrived at Sears,

It is possible that you could be interested in what they are selling.
So far we are doing ok |-)

> or that a friend is inviting us to dinner).  I do not have one so that
> any clown in the country can call me at three in the morning to shout
> obscenities at me, or so that a telephone sales person can offer me

Oh Oh! Talk about obscenities. Look at the first word of your reply.
You shouted obscenities to the whole world (net.*** or was your shift
button stuck? Or maybe obscenities gravitate to you because they surround
you? (Water seeks it's oun level principle).

Three in the morning? Which version of readnews do you subscribe to?
I have never seen anybody at anytime say anything about three in the
morning.

> such a deal for a product that I have no interest in.  Both of these

How do you or they know that you have no interest in buying an article.
Don't tell me that you have never in your life been a subject of
impulse buying.

> latter cases are examples of unwanted intrusion into my home.
>
> > You have the right to hang up on me. If you
> > don't want your privacy invaded, a. Dont have a phone  b. Unplug it when you
> > don't use it.
>
> This is like suggesting that if I don't want my home burglarized I
> should not have doors in the home.  Double bullshit.

Okay Rich, I'll give you this one.

> 					Rich Strebendt
> 					...!ihnp4!iwsl6!res

Bob Nebert
sdcsvax!bmcg!bobn

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (11/14/85)

> > I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
> > why their is a phone book). You have the right to hang up on me. If you
> > don't want your privacy invaded, a. Dont have a phone  b. Unplug it when you
> > don't use it.
>
> You mean "there is a phone book".  No, bimbo, that's not why there's a

Bimbo! Good Lord it's getting exciting now! Suppose you, in all of your
worldly knowledge, enlighten us as to why there is a phone book (you said
I was wrong, but never said why).

> phone book, and if you call me just for the hell of it, I will tell the
> phone company that you're using the phone to create a nuisance.  You do not

Correct you are. And I would do the same thing. But I am performing a
job or service (whichever term you like, I don't care) which is legal
and liscensed and in a gainful employment mode. I'm not calling people
and breathing hard into the receiver for giggles.

> have the right to intrude on someone else, and I'm sorry that you've got
> such a perverted notion of freedom as to think so.
>
> Where did your "right" come from?  I know, the 43rd Amendment to the
> Constitution of the United States of America...the right to inflict your
> obnoxious presence on whoever will tolerate it?

You seem to share that same right.

> Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
>    ...If you get confused just listen to the music play...

Open note to anybody who has been reading this dribble for the last
two weeks or so:

I started out by stating a point and it mushroomed into what my perverted
notion of freedom is. I don't want to talk about that. If anybody wants
to talk about the origional postings I will otherwise I don't discuss
things with people (as sincere as you are) who don't read what I write,
and quote me as saying things I don't say.

gnome@olivee.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (11/16/85)

> > >Thank you very much. My wife works night about three times a week.
> > >When she doesn't she does telephone surveys for a marketing research
> > >company. She announces herself, what she would like the callee to do,
> > >which is watch a tv program, and say that someone would call the next
> > >day to get their response.
> > >
> > But, still, what makes you apparently believe that you have the RIGHT to
> > intrude, uninvited, upon people in their homes?  Do YOU listen to the full
> > sales pitch of salesmen or religious advocates who come by your door or meet
> > you on the street?  In one case (salesmen), they have the same motivation.
> > In the other (religious), they sincerely believe that they are offering you
> > the greatest possible gift.
> >    ...Larry Mazlack
>
> I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
> why their is a phone book). You have the right to hang up on me. If you
> don't want your privacy invaded, a. Dont have a phone  b. Unplug it when you
> don't use it.

"That's why they're in the phone book"  -- Many of these miracles
of advertisizing ingenuity simple start off with 555-0000 and work
their way up to 555-9999.  Why?  Because they know WHERE 555-NNNN is
located.  This makes unlisted numbers (which actually cost MORE)
just as open to junk-callers as those unlucky people who have given
up their right to privacy by listing their numbers in the phone book.

When those machines call, I like to 3-way their machine with a
Dial-a-prayer recording.

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (11/17/85)

--
> I think you've got the answer here.  The phone company, and other
> directory publishers,  should  have  a service where a special
> character is placed by your entry in the directories (especially
> the  reverse  directories).  Said character  to  be  the  equivalent
> of a "No Solicitors" sign on your door...
>
> The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)

Well, of course they won't do that, but imagine my surprise at getting
an insert with my last bill from Illinois Bell--it was a card to fill
out and return if you wanted your name/number *not* to be included on
the phone lists that the telco sells.  It's a step in the right direction.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

nielsen@hplabsc.UUCP (Walter Nielsen) (11/19/85)

 > > But, still, what makes you apparently believe that you have the RIGHT to
 > > intrude, uninvited, upon people in their homes?
 > >
 > I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
 > why their is a phone book).
 > You have the right to hang up on me. If you
 > don't want your privacy invaded, a. Dont have a phone  b. Unplug it when you
 > don't use it.
 >

> Bob Nebert
> sdcsvax!bmcg!bobn

Bob, I have an idea, why don't you post your home phone number on the
net for everybody.  Or better yet, maybe everybody could just look it up
in the phone book and call you to continue this discussion.  After all,
if you don't want your privacy invaded, a. Dont have a phone b. Unplug
it when you don't use it. And we do have the right to call anyone in the
phone book (right Bob ??).

Seriously, where did you get this preverted notion that solicitors have
a right to call anybody in the phone book and make a sales pitch ? Can
you imagine if more and more companies started to revert to this type
of advertising ?  Imagine getting one of these calls every 2 or 3 minutes
all day and night !! That is why I am rude to telephone solicitors,
to discourage this practice NOW !!   I'm sure if they found too many
people abusive, they could always get a job at McDonalds or something.
But the point is to let them know that what they are doing is very
obnoxious to most of the public.

Walter Nielsen
sdcrdcf!hplabs!hplabsc!nielsen

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (11/20/85)

> In article <1979@bmcg.UUCP> bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) writes:
> >I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
> >why there is a phone book).
>
> You have the ability to call any number in the book.  You also have the
> ability to call the unlisted numbers, as is done by autodialers that call
> sequences of numbers.  You also have the ability to knock on any door of any
> residence.  In fact, many physical paths are available to you to interrupt
> people, tie up their communication links, and waste their time.  Any such
> path gives you the ability.  None of them gives you the right.  Suppose I

Finally somebody hit on it. Alright Jon. Of course I don't have the right
to poke my nose where it is not wanted. You know, I hate those phone calls
to, but nobody ever asked me my view. Anyway, the problem is, as Jon points
out is the path and ability are there. The problem now is how to eliminate
the path or make it illegal to use it.

Someone pointed out to have the phone company put a characture (sp) next
to your phone # indicating that you DO NOT want salespeople calling.
The indicater is free and if it is violated it is deemed as a prank, or
whatever term you want to call it, call.

That system seems fair and reasonable to me. But the autodialers are
still immune to it. Any ideas.

> My .signature lists several ways of reaching me.  I provide the list as a
> courtesy to those who would like to reach me.  You may not conclude that you
> have the right to do so.  For instance, I could change my network address or

I kinda disagree. If you put your path in a posting in a way you are granting
people access to reach you.

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/21/85)

> I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
> why their is a phone book). You have the right to hang up on me.

Fine (as long as you define a "right" as anything you can get away with without
fear of being arrested). So what's your problem? I have the right to tell you
to go to hell and to slam the phone down, right? What's that? You demand that
I be "polite"? You want me to say "Sorry I took so long to answer the phone,
but I was asleep. I'm afraid I don't want any of the worthless shit you're
selling. I'm sorry I wasted your valuable time." Sorry, Bob, you can't have
everything you want.

> If you
> don't want your privacy invaded, a. Dont have a phone  b. Unplug it when you
> don't use it.

I see. You admit that it's an invasion, but say "Hey, that's your problem.
I don't make the rules, I only abuse them."

You're an even bigger asshole than I thought.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"A flash in front of my eyes ... I blink ... open my eyes to ... discover I am
 a dog in a pickup truck full of garbage ... no one but me sees the lid blow
 off the can ... it's 14 miles to the dump ... this is ... at last ... heaven."

danny@sftig.UUCP (L.Rosler) (11/23/85)

> I hear several concerns:
>
> 1. How come I have to take this ?
>
> 2. How can I stop it ?

  I just received a letter from a company telling me that my phone
  number could win me money.  Inside, it said "simply" send in your phone
  number to be eligible for the prizes.  It didn't even tell what the
  prizes were (maybe there aren't any).  This is one way they get your
  number and distribute it.  This method is too obvious to catch
  many people but the unaware will start getting calls.

  Dan Rosler  ihnp4!attunix!danny

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (11/25/85)

> > I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
> > why their is a phone book). You have the right to hang up on me.
>
> Fine(as long as you define a "right" as anything you can get away with without
> fear of being arrested). So what's your problem? I have the right to tell you
> to go to hell and to slam the phone down, right? What's that? You demand that

You sure do have the right to tell me to go to hell and slam the phone down.
And maybe after recess the teacher will give you milk and cookies.
God your going to have fun when you get to the second grade.
What do you do when a commerical comes on tv during your favorite show?
Hmmmm lets see.  (screams at tv) " What! how dare you invade my privacy
with ads for worthless shit I don't need. (grabs tv and does a Darrel
Dawkins slam, just like the phone, "Take that, invade my privacy will you".

> I be "polite"? You want me to say "Sorry I took so long to answer the phone,
> but I was asleep. I'm afraid I don't want any of the worthless shit you're
> selling. I'm sorry I wasted your valuable time." Sorry, Bob, you can't have
> everything you want.
>
> > If you
> > don't want your privacy invaded, a. Dont have a phone  b. Unplug it when you
> > don't use it.
>
> I see. You admit that it's an invasion, but say "Hey, that's your problem.
> I don't make the rules, I only abuse them."
>
> You're an even bigger asshole than I thought.
>
> 			Scott McEwan
> 			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan
>
> "A flash in front of my eyes ... I blink ... open my eyes to ... discover I am
>  a dog in a pickup truck full of garbage ... no one but me sees the lid blow
>  off the can ... it's 14 miles to the dump ... this is ... at last ... heaven."

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (11/25/85)

---more--- We had a power drop and this posting went out before I was
	  done.

> > > I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
> > > why their is a phone book). You have the right to hang up on me.
> >
> >Fine(as long as you define a "right" as anything you can get away with without
> >fear of being arrested). So what's your problem? I have the right to tell you
> >to go to hell and to slam the phone down, right? What's that? You demand that
>
> You sure do have the right to tell me to go to hell and slam the phone down.
> And maybe after recess the teacher will give you milk and cookies.
> God your going to have fun when you get to the second grade.
> What do you do when a commerical comes on tv during your favorite show?
> Hmmmm lets see.  (screams at tv) " What! how dare you invade my privacy
> with ads for worthless shit I don't need. (grabs tv and does a Darrel
> Dawkins slam, just like the phone, "Take that, invade my privacy will you".
>
> > I be "polite"? You want me to say "Sorry I took so long to answer the phone,
> > but I was asleep. I'm afraid I don't want any of the worthless shit you're
> > selling. I'm sorry I wasted your valuable time." Sorry, Bob, you can't have
> > everything you want.

Who said I can have everything I want?

> > > If you
> > > don't want your privacy invaded, a.Dont have a phone  b.Unplug it when you
> > > don't use it.
> >
> > I see. You admit that it's an invasion, but say "Hey, that's your problem.

I guess it's because I learned how to read. I never said it was an invasion
of privacy everybody else did. I also conceded the point about a and b.
If your not to busy ranting and raving you would have seen it. (Yes when
I think I'm proven wrong, I concede the point. It is called 'learning'.
Try it sometime Scott.

> > I don't make the rules, I only abuse them."
> >
> > You're an even bigger asshole than I thought.
> >
> > 			Scott McEwan
> > 			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan
> >
> >"A flash in front of my eyes ...I blink ... open my eyes to ... discover I am
> > a dog in a pickup truck full of garbage ... no one but me sees the lid blow
> >off the can ...it's 14 miles to the dump ... this is ... at last ... heaven."

It's your own signature file not mine. But somehow I think iut fits.

BTW: I'm getting bored by this subject so I don't plan on responding anymore.
( I know..clap,clap,clap)
But I just wanted to say that I dont like it when I get phone calls. I consider
it an inconvience (sp) but not a invasion.

I tried to keep some humor in the discussion but...... anyway onto the next
subject where hopefully I wont be alone.

mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (11/27/85)

>> > I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
>> > why their is a phone book). You have the right to hang up on me.
>>
>> Fine(as long as you define a "right" as anything you can get away with without
>> fear of being arrested). So what's your problem? I have the right to tell you
>> to go to hell and to slam the phone down, right? What's that? You demand that
>
>You sure do have the right to tell me to go to hell and slam the phone down.
>And maybe after recess the teacher will give you milk and cookies.
>God your going to have fun when you get to the second grade.
>What do you do when a commerical comes on tv during your favorite show?
>Hmmmm lets see.  (screams at tv) " What! how dare you invade my privacy
>with ads for worthless shit I don't need. (grabs tv and does a Darrel
>Dawkins slam, just like the phone, "Take that, invade my privacy will you".

Hardly a good analogy. IF you turn on a commercial network (and don't tape it
so you can edit out the commercials), YOU are CHOOSING to accept the
commercials.  However, when some joker calls you up on the telephone,
THEY are intruding.  For someone who is just a little bit nasty in their
postings, you should at least think things out before you start pissing.
  ...Larry Mazlack

shaprkg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Bob Shapiro) (11/27/85)

In article <629@sftig.UUCP> danny@sftig.UUCP (L.Rosler) writes:
>> I hear several concerns:
>>
>> 1. How come I have to take this ?
>>
>> 2. How can I stop it ?
>
>  I just received a letter from a company telling me that my phone
>  number could win me money.  Inside, it said "simply" send in your phone
>  number to be eligible for the prizes.  It didn't even tell what the
>  prizes were (maybe there aren't any).  This is one way they get your
>  number and distribute it.  This method is too obvious to catch
>  many people but the unaware will start getting calls.

   Why don't you send them the phone number of your least favorite person?

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (11/28/85)

> Hardly a good analogy. IF you turn on a commercial network (and don't tape it
> so you can edit out the commercials), YOU are CHOOSING to accept the
> commercials.  However, when some joker calls you up on the telephone,
> THEY are intruding.  For someone who is just a little bit nasty in their
> postings, you should at least think things out before you start pissing.
>   ...Larry Mazlack

Yes, as Lilly Tomlin's Ernestine character would say...

Let's turn to page vii of the directory and repeat after me.
It is a crime under both state and federal laws for anyone to make obscene
or harassing telephone calls.  These laws have penalties of imprisonment
and/or fine.

- C&P Telephone White pages.

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (12/03/85)

>>  I just received a letter from a company telling me that my phone
>>  number could win me money.  Inside, it said "simply" send in your phone
>>  number to be eligible for the prizes...This is one way they get your
>>  number and distribute it...

>   Why don't you send them the phone number of your least favorite person?

With my luck, he would win a new car.

wiebe@ut-ngp.UUCP (Anne Hill Wiebe) (12/05/85)

*
In my area, (Austin, Texas), there are several new telephone services
being test-marketed, two of which would be a partial answer to "how do
you stop them".  With one service, you can temporarily eliminate all
calls except for those from a short list of desirable callers.  With
another of these, you provide the short list (or is it that you program
them in?) and you get a special ring for calls from those from whom you
really want calls.  Both of these are cheap services, for the future
anyway.

Second solution:  use an answering machine to screen your calls, pick
it up when you hear a voice leaving a message but you do want to talk
to that person.  Drawback:  not everyone calling you will like this,
not everyone will actually leave a message.  It does help if your
message is very short so they don't have to listen long; my answering
machine has a control for number of seconds for outgoing message.

Not perfect solutions, I know.
		Anne Wiebe

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (12/05/85)

>>> I have the right to call any telephone number in the phone book. (That's
>>> why their is a phone book). You have the right to hang up on me.
>>
>>Fine(as long as you define a "right" as anything you can get away with without
>>fear of being arrested). So what's your problem? I have the right to tell you
>>to go to hell and to slam the phone down, right? What's that? You demand that
>
> You sure do have the right to tell me to go to hell and slam the phone down.
> And maybe after recess the teacher will give you milk and cookies.
> God your going to have fun when you get to the second grade.

How would you know? Judging from your spelling and punctuation, you haven't
gotten that far yet.

> What do you do when a commerical comes on tv during your favorite show?
> Hmmmm lets see.  (screams at tv) " What! how dare you invade my privacy
> with ads for worthless shit I don't need. (grabs tv and does a Darrel
> Dawkins slam, just like the phone, "Take that, invade my privacy will you".

Well, even if I did watch commercial television other than by tape-delay,
this is hardly an accurate analogy. The television does not invade my privacy
because *I* choose when to turn it on and whether to subject myself to
commercials. This is like comparing armed robbery to a voluntary contribution.

>> I be "polite"? You want me to say "Sorry I took so long to answer the phone,
>> but I was asleep. I'm afraid I don't want any of the worthless shit you're
>> selling. I'm sorry I wasted your valuable time." Sorry, Bob, you can't have
>> everything you want.
>
> Who said I can have everything I want?

Nobody, but I assume that's what you're aiming for, since you're the one who
started this argument by demanding that people be "polite" when your wife
makes one of these annoying phone calls.

>>> If you
>>> don't want your privacy invaded, a.Dont have a phone  b.Unplug it when you
>>> don't use it.
>>
>> I see. You admit that it's an invasion, but say "Hey, that's your problem.
>
> I guess it's because I learned how to read. I never said it was an invasion
> of privacy everybody else did.

Amazing. Someone who's reading comprehension is so poor that he can't even
understand what he himself has written. Or do you mean that when you wrote
"If you don't want to have your privacy invaded", you were simply inserting
a totally irrelevant comment into the middle of your message, and were talking
about, say, peeping toms? If this is the case then why is unplugging the
phone a solution?

> I also conceded the point about a and b.
> If your not to busy ranting and raving you would have seen it.

I did see it, after I wrote my response. I afraid that some of us aren't
precognitive, Bob, so we can only respond to messages we've already seen
and have to wait for the ones that will come through later. By the way,
why haven't you responded to this message yet?

> (Yes when
> I think I'm proven wrong, I concede the point. It is called 'learning'.
> Try it sometime Scott.

I have. Not everyone's wrong as often as you are, though, so we don't
learn at as rapid a rate.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"Listen! You smell something?"