[net.consumers] sterilizing food with radiation

Gentle net.physics readers:

It seems to me that all this bickering might be stopped if we could be assured
that any food which has been treated with radiation (of the X-ray/gamma
variety) or which has ingredients which have been treated with the same be
clearly marked so on the container or in the ingredients statement.  Things
like fruit which had been so treated would be required to have stickers
declaring so if sold loose (not in a container which had been marked).
Then those who do not wish to ingest such would feel safe, while the rest of
us could choose as we wish.  Maybe even Mr. Pope would agree, as the matter
of unwitting ingestion of foods preserved in this manner seems to be the brunt
of his objection.

So those who care, why not write to Congress or to other appropriate gummint
agency?  It would do a lot more good than fuming to the net.  Who knows, there
may already BE such a requirement in the works and you will never know till
you check it out.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy

sra@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) (12/09/85)

In article <630@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>It seems to me that all this bickering might be stopped if we could be assured
>that any food which has been treated with radiation (of the X-ray/gamma
>variety) or which has ingredients which have been treated with the same be
>clearly marked so on the container or in the ingredients statement.
>It would do a lot more good than fuming to the net.  Who knows, there
>may already BE such a requirement in the works and you will never know till
>you check it out.

Not under the Reagan Administration there isn't.
--

					Scott Anderson
					ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra