[net.consumers] Airline Fares - Fine Print

btb@mtuxo.UUCP (Bruce Burger) (11/10/85)

Most airline ads contain lots of fine print, but this one from
Piedmont (10/29/85, NY Times) really takes the cake.  Ironically,
the headline was "THE FOLLOWING FARES ARE NOT A MISPRINT."  The
fine print below the fares said:

"Fares slightly higher from LaGuardia.  Fares shown may require up
to a 30-day advance purchase and are half of the required
round-trip purchase where applicable.  Minimum/maximum stay, ticket
time limit, seat limitation, time of day and/or day of week
restrictions, and/or other restrictions may apply.  Voluntary
refund service charge penalty, cancellation penalty, or itinerary
change penalty may apply.  Fares may change or expire without
notice.  Fares shown not available on Nov. 22 through Dec. 2 and
Dec. 19 through Dec. 31.  Fuel surcharge $2.50 per person from
Boston."

No, I didn't add even the last one as a joke -- it was really
there!  (Say what you want about People Express, at least their
goal is to fly you for their fares, not exclude you from them.)

--Bruce Burger     AT&T Information Systems     Freehold, NJ
  {...ihnp4!}mtuxo!btb

wrf@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (W. Randolph Franklin) (11/13/85)

In article <1103@mtuxo.UUCP> btb@mtuxo.UUCP (Bruce Burger) writes:

>  (Say what you want about People Express, at least their
>goal is to fly you for their fares, not exclude you from them.)

Not always true: On Sept 10, 1985 I flew from Albany NY to Newark  on
the 6:30 flight that because of delays in Newark left Albany around
9:30.  Peoples has 3 flights each evening, priced, in order, low,
high, low, and scheduled to leave at about 4:30, 6:30 and 9:30.

Now the flight I was on was officially the high fare flight even
though it was leaving at the scheduled time for the low fare flight.
A Peoples employee even made the announcement before the flight left
that even though the flight was leaving at the cheap time it was the
expensive flight and anyone who didn't like it should get off.  (The
plane was half empty - no capacity problem.)  Talk about user
friendliness.

They compounded it in Newark by letting an outgoing flight leave less
than 20 minutes before two dozen people from delayed incoming Peoples
flights arrived at the departure gate.  Most airlines at least support
their own connections.

Of course, other airlines aren't perfect either.  I was on a
Continental flight from Newark to Denver in December 1984 that had to
make an unscheduled stop in Kansas City because it didn't have enough
fuel on board.  Anyone who therefore missed a connection in Denver had
to foot the bill himself.  TV network news later reported that the
same flight on other dates had scraped the end of the runway on
takeoff at least twice.
Wm. Randolph Franklin, UC Berkeley,
Arpanet: wrf@ernie.Berkeley.EDU
USPS: Computer Science Div., 543 Evans, University of California,
	  Berkeley CA, 94720, USA
415-642-9955

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (11/15/85)

It's People Express, not Peoples Express.

--
 The California Lottery may be a tax on the stupid, but at least
 some of the proceeds are used for education.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

smelser@wanginst.UUCP (Craig Smelser) (11/20/85)

In article wrf@ernie.UUCP (W. Randolph Franklin) writes:

>... On Sept 10, 1985 I flew from Albany NY to Newark  on the 6:30 flight ...
>
>...(because of delays) the flight I was on was officially the high fare flight
>even though it was leaving at the scheduled time for the low fare flight.

  Come on, lets  put this  in perspective!   People's is  one of  the
  cheapest forms  of  public transportation  to  Newark even  at  the
  higher rate ($55)!

greg@harvard.UUCP (Greg) (11/24/85)

In article <6315@amdcad.UUCP>, phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
> It's People Express, not Peoples Express.

No, actually it's People Compress.
--
gregregreg

sag2@ur-tut.UUCP (Alazar) (12/04/85)

>> It's People Express, not Peoples Express.
>
>No, actually it's People Compress.

No, actually it is People Distress.

mikel@codas.UUCP (Mikel Manitius) (12/07/85)

>>> It's People Express, not Peoples Express.
>> No, actually it's People Compress.
> No, actually it is People Distress.

No, actually it is Cattle Express. Mooooooo!
--
			Mikel Manitius @ AT&T-IS Altamonte Springs, FL
			...{ihnp4|akguc|attmail|indra!koura}!codas!mikel

roger@celtics.UUCP (Roger Klorese) (12/10/85)

In article <270@ur-tut.UUCP> sag2@ur-tut.UUCP (Alazar) writes:
>>> It's People Express, not Peoples Express.
>>
>>No, actually it's People Compress.
>
>No, actually it is People Distress.

I thought it was "Cattle Excess"...
--
 ... "What were you expecting, rock'n'roll?"

Roger B.A. Klorese
Celerity Computing, 40 Speen St., Framingham, MA 01701, (617) 872-1772
UUCP: seismo!harvard!bu-cs!celtics!roger
ARPA: celtics!roger@bu-cs.ARPA