[net.consumers] long distance companies

ezf@bbncc5.UUCP (Ed Frankenberry) (12/04/85)

We recently received an "equal access ballot" from the local operating
company requesting a choice of long distance carrier.  Have there been
any Consumer Reports type studies lately which compare these services?
It would be nice to save money over the standard ATT rate, but I'm not
willing to settle for flakey trunks and poor quality connections.  Does
billing accuracy improve with equal access, or do some carriers still
charge based on a delay (whether or not the call was completed)?

If you've seen any long distance surveys published recently, please
send me a pointer.  Or if you've had experience with these companies
(many of whom I've never heard of) please let me know: Allnet, Ameritel,
First Phone LINK Service, GTE/Sprint, ITT, Lexitel, MCI, SBS Skyline,
TDX Systems, Telesaver, and US Telecom.

	Thanks in advance,
	Ed Frankenberry
	ihnp4!bbncca!ezf
	ezf@unix.bbn.com

daw1@mhuxl.UUCP (WILLIAMS) (12/06/85)

> We recently received an "equal access ballot" ...
> 							  ... but I'm not
> willing to settle for flakey trunks and poor quality connections.

	Then vote for AT&T - the right choice!

                1
              1   1
	    1   2   1			Doug Williams
	  1   3   3   1			AT&T Bell Labs
	1   4   6   4   1 		Reading, PA
      1   5   10  10   5   1		mhuxl!daw1
    1   6  15   20   15  6   1

PS: Send flames direct to me. I miss receiving hot mail since net.flame died!

kemasa@sdcc13.UUCP (kemasa) (12/06/85)

I think the best solution, at least for me, is to choose AT&T, but then get
another company that you dial an access number to use the services, then when
you have problems on your cheap service you can always use AT&T which is what
I have had to do sometimes.  I personally like the travel codes that some of
the companies offer so you don't have to call collect or have alot of change.
It isn't as convenient to dial an access number but at least you then have a
choice.  If you pick another company is there any way to use AT&T?  Other
than going to a pay phone.  That brings up an interesting question.  If
the local phones are by the local phone companies are pay phones going
to be divided?  That would be fun, make the same call from different phones
and get charged different amounts!!!!

						Kemasa.

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) (12/08/85)

In article <385@sdcc13.UUCP> kemasa@sdcc13.UUCP (kemasa) writes:
>I think the best solution, at least for me, is to choose AT&T, but then get
>another company that you dial an access number to use the services, then when
>you have problems on your cheap service you can always use AT&T which is what
>I have had to do sometimes.  I personally like the travel codes that some of
>the companies offer so you don't have to call collect or have alot of change.
>It isn't as convenient to dial an access number but at least you then have a
>choice.  If you pick another company is there any way to use AT&T?  Other
>than going to a pay phone.  That brings up an interesting question.  If
>the local phones are by the local phone companies are pay phones going
>to be divided?  That would be fun, make the same call from different phones
>and get charged different amounts!!!!
>
>						Kemasa.

If you select a company other than AT&T as your primary carrier, when you
dial 1+area code+number, you will be routed through the primary carrier.
If for some perverse reason you wish to spend more money, you may dial a 5
digit code (invoking AT&T) and then the regular 1+area code+number.  It
will also work in the reverse manner if your new carrier is set up as a
secondary carrier, i.e. dial 5 digit code to invoke new carrier, just dial
1+ to get AT&T.  I believe that everyone gets AT&T as a secondary carrier
automatically regardless of which company you designate to be your
primary carrier.  (Each carrier has a different 5-digit code.)

As for pay phones, and in fact any phone other than your own, there is an
access number (generally starting with 950, which means that you get your
quarter back) that you dial to get a computer tone, at which point you dial
your Travel Code followed by the phone number you are trying to reach.  It
is very similar to using a Bell credit card, except you can use Bell's by
dialing a "0" instead of a local access phone number.  (NOTE: in some areas
the 950 number doesn't work, so you have to dial a "1-800" access number.
Involves lots of digits, but you save $$$!)

--
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Mark D. Freeman			    Guest account at The Ohio State University

smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) (12/09/85)

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh

> If for some perverse reason you wish to spend more money, you may dial a 5
> digit code (invoking AT&T) and then the regular 1+area code+number.

In Reading, and I assume in most areas, AT&T is actually the least expensive
company for some calls some times of day, besides having all the other goodies
like directory assistance, operators, operator assisted calls like person-
to-person, collect, credit card, etc.  Also, no company is cheapest at all
times for all calls, despite what they advertise.

jak@cdstar.UUCP (Joe Konstan) (12/10/85)

In article <947@osu-eddie.UUCP>, mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
> In article <385@sdcc13.UUCP> kemasa@sdcc13.UUCP (kemasa) writes:
> >I think the best solution, at least for me, is to choose AT&T, but then get
> >another company that you dial an access number to use the services, then when
> >you have problems on your cheap service you can always use AT&T which is what
> >I have had to do sometimes.  I personally like the travel codes that some of
> >the companies offer so you don't have to call collect or have alot of change.
> >It isn't as convenient to dial an access number but at least you then have a
> >choice.  If you pick another company is there any way to use AT&T?  Other
> >than going to a pay phone.  That brings up an interesting question.  If
> >the local phones are by the local phone companies are pay phones going
> >to be divided?  That would be fun, make the same call from different phones
> >and get charged different amounts!!!!
> >
> >						Kemasa.
>
> If you select a company other than AT&T as your primary carrier, when you
> dial 1+area code+number, you will be routed through the primary carrier.
> If for some perverse reason you wish to spend more money, you may dial a 5
> digit code (invoking AT&T) and then the regular 1+area code+number.  It
> will also work in the reverse manner if your new carrier is set up as a
> secondary carrier, i.e. dial 5 digit code to invoke new carrier, just dial
> 1+ to get AT&T.  I believe that everyone gets AT&T as a secondary carrier
> automatically regardless of which company you designate to be your
> primary carrier.  (Each carrier has a different 5-digit code.)

Actually the way equal access works is that every carrier has a 3 digit
code (for instance AT&T has 288 (guess why) and MCI has 222).  To make a
call on a pecific carrier from your home phone, you can merely dial
10+<3 digit code>+1+area code+number
There are some long distance services that require you to sign up with
them in advance, but most do not.

Your PRIMARY CARRIER, which is what all of the advertising is about, is
the only service you can use by just dialing 1+area code+number.

As far as I know, billing is the same either way.

> As for pay phones, and in fact any phone other than your own, there is an
> access number (generally starting with 950, which means that you get your
> quarter back) that you dial to get a computer tone, at which point you dial
> your Travel Code followed by the phone number you are trying to reach.  It
> is very similar to using a Bell credit card, except you can use Bell's by
> dialing a "0" instead of a local access phone number.  (NOTE: in some areas
> the 950 number doesn't work, so you have to dial a "1-800" access number.
> Involves lots of digits, but you save $$$!)

The 950 system works as mentioned not only from pay phones, but
everywhere.  TO actually use an AT&T credit card, you are supposed to
dial 0+area code+number, but I don't think that the break-up is complete
in that area yet.

Warning:  The 1-800 numbers generally are MORE EXPENSIVE THAN the 950
ones.  Most companies attach a surcharge to the 800 calls, since they
have to pay for those lines whereas 950 lines are provided by terms of
equal access.

By the way, where has mod.telecom (the source for all of this info)
gone?

mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (12/10/85)

>> We recently received an "equal access ballot" ...
>> 							  ... but I'm not
>> willing to settle for flakey trunks and poor quality connections.
>
>	Then vote for AT&T - the right choice!
>

>                1
>              1   1
>	    1   2   1			Doug Williams

That would be nice, if true.  Here in Berkeley, my AT&T line is very noisy.
...Larry Mazlack

mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (12/10/85)

>I think the best solution, at least for me, is to choose AT&T, but then get
>another company that you dial an access number to use the services, then when
>						Kemasa.

That is what I do.  AT&T is brutally expensive - but the only way I can call
Europe.  So, I almost never use them internally.
  ...Larry Mazlack

avinash@drusd.UUCP (VashisthaA) (12/11/85)

I don't find much difference in the cost of

edg@micropro.UUCP (Ed Greenberg) (12/11/85)

In article <947@osu-eddie.UUCP> mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
>As for pay phones, and in fact any phone other than your own, there is an
>access number (generally starting with 950, which means that you get your
>quarter back) that you dial to get a computer tone, at which point you dial
>your Travel Code followed by the phone number you are trying to reach.
>                                                   (NOTE: in some areas
>the 950 number doesn't work, so you have to dial a "1-800" access number.
>Involves lots of digits, but you save $$$!)
>
>Mark D. Freeman

With SOME Long Distance carriers, the 800 number is more expensive than
the 950 (or other local access) number.  In fact, one carrier cautions
you that their 800 number is only cost effective over AT&T credit card
for calls of a certain duration.

Summary...  Be careful.

When we get Equal Access, I will select my Alternate LD Carrier for my
primary, so long as I can get direct dial rates on AT&T with the 10xxx
code.  If I have to pay credit card rates from my own home for AT&T I
will keep them for my primary and use 10xxx for reaching my alternate
(in 90% of the cases.)

I will probably keep AT&T as the primary on my modem line.
				-e

--
Ed Greenberg; MicroPro International Corp. (disclaimer)
UUCP: {hplabs,ptsfa,glacier,lll-crg}!well!micropro!edg

roger@celtics.UUCP (Roger Klorese) (12/12/85)

In article <385@sdcc13.UUCP> kemasa@sdcc13.UUCP (kemasa) writes:
>I think the best solution, at least for me, is to choose AT&T, but then get
>another company that you dial an access number to use the services, then when
>you have problems on your cheap service you can always use AT&T which is what
>I have had to do sometimes.  I personally like the travel codes that some of
>the companies offer so you don't have to call collect or have alot of change.
>It isn't as convenient to dial an access number but at least you then have a
>choice.  If you pick another company is there any way to use AT&T?  Other
>than going to a pay phone.  That brings up an interesting question.  If
>the local phones are by the local phone companies are pay phones going
>to be divided?  That would be fun, make the same call from different phones
>and get charged different amounts!!!!
>
>						Kemasa.

You may access AT&T if your primary service is another one (mine is MCI)
by dialing:

	10288-<1-or-0>-<areacode>-<number>

It will be billed through your local Baby Bell.
--
 ... "What were you expecting, rock'n'roll?"

Roger B.A. Klorese
Celerity Computing, 40 Speen St., Framingham, MA 01701, (617) 872-1772
UUCP: seismo!harvard!bu-cs!celtics!roger
ARPA: celtics!roger@bu-cs.ARPA

daw1@mhuxl.UUCP (WILLIAMS) (12/12/85)

> I don't find much difference in the cost of

	The above is the whole article that arrived here. [At least
I can quote the whole article and not get flamed :-)] This is what
happens on el-cheapo lines! :-)

				Doug @ The Right Choice

[To any knuckleheads reading this: note those smiley faces]

alvitar@madhat.UUCP (12/12/85)

In article <385@sdcc13.UUCP> kemasa@sdcc13.UUCP (kemasa) writes:
> If you pick another company is there any way to use AT&T?  Other
> than going to a pay phone.  That brings up an interesting question.
> If the local phones are by the local phone companies are pay phones
> going to be divided?
>						Kemasa.

I  consult  for  a  company  which  builds  equal  access  conversion
equipment and a front end for  a multi-carrier  credit card telephone
system, so I have followed  this subject  closely.   As I understand,
the  ruling  handed down  from Judge  Greene [greene@bellbusters :-)]
specified a universal dialing format  as follows.   This  plan is not
presently being used by BellSouth but they tell me it will be used in
the future.

	[1 or 0 or 10ccc +] [aaa+] nnn-nnnn , where:
	[1]	= prefix for unassisted direct dialing
	[0]	= prefix for operator assisted direct dialing
	[10]	= prefix for direct dialing using a specific
		  long distance carrier.
	[ccc]	= Three digit carrier number
	[aaa]	= Area code

Each  long  distance carrier  has a  unique three  digit carrier code
which will be the same anywhere  in the  USA.   The code  for AT&T is
288, so if  you were  presubscribed to  Sprint, you  could still dial
Time and Temp in Memphis via AT&T by dialing 10288-9015265261.

All intra-LATA calls  are presently  handled by  your local operating
company (LOC)  although this  may change  in the  future.  Inter-LATA
calls must be handled by an "other comman carrier" or OCC, and an LOC
can not also  be an  OCC.   Some LOCs  will allow  their customers to
presubscribe to the carrier of their choice.   When a  carrier is not
explicitly  specified  (normal  1+  dialing),  the  LOC  should route
inter-LATA  calls  through  this  predesignated carrier.   The ruling
requires that an LOC must provide this service for all carriers if it
is provided for any carrier.

The  same  carrier  codes  are used  at pay  phones, but  with a 9501
prefix, so to access AT&T from a pay phone  anywhere in  the USA, you
would dial 950-1288.  This number, referred to as a point-of-presence
(POP),  is  already  used  by  several  credit   card  phone  systems
(including the one we build).  Calling  the POP  from a  pay phone is
usually free since most LOCs require the OCC to pay  an access charge
for use of the local networks.  My understanding  is that  the LOC is
forbidden to own any subscriber equipment (why you now  may rent your
phone from AT&T).  Technically this includes pay phones,  but I think
an exception was made to let the LOCs  own them.   You  can of course
buy and install your own pay phone, and so can any of the OCCs.  AT&T
and MCI are doing just that.

[And now for the obligatory joke.  What?  This isn't net.jokes?  :-)]
The following is a bit  of post-divesture  humor, seen  on a bulletin
board in a Memphis CO (our beta site for a credit  card phone) during
the summer of `84.  The author is unknown, but probably  not a member
of the Judge Greene fan club.  :-)

	The  two  largest  bureacracies  in  America  are the federal
	government  and  the  Bell  System.    One  has  given us the
	telephone,  the  transistor,  direct dialing  anywhere in the
	USA, and is  quite profitable.   The  other has  given us the
	depression,  the Vietnam  war, Social  Security, double digit
	inflation, and is almost  two trillion  dollars in  debt.  So
	who is telling the other how to run their business?

----
Live: Phil Harbison, DataVision
Mail: 3409 Grassfort Dr., Huntsville, AL 35805
Uucp: {ihnp4,clyde,sdcsvax}!akgua!madhat!alvitar
Bell: 205-881-4317

carlson@ssc-vax.UUCP (Lee R Carlson) (12/12/85)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE OR IT WILL BE REPLACED FOR YOU ***

Our exchange has not been "equal accessed" yet.  We have had SBS Skyline for
a couple of years now.  All in all, the service and fidelity are adequate.
Occasionally it sounds like our calls are routed through a third-world
country, but you get what you pay for.

The anecdote is in SBS's rate structure and it's changes.

On billing increments:

	1983 - "SBS charges by 6 second intervals!  You'll save Big Bucks
		on calls that last 65 seconds!  Ma Bell would charge you
		for 2 WHOLE minutes..."

	1984 - "SBS has made an important change.  Due to the hassles of
		6-second billing increments, SBS charges will now be based
		on a 30-second algorithm.  You'll still save BIG BUCKS on calls
		that last 65 seconds ..."

	1985 - "SBS has adopted the INDUSTRY STANDARD 60-second billing
		interval.  We will be better able to serve you because we
		now rip you off JUST LIKE THE REST OF THE INDUSTRY ..."

On calling zones:

	1983 - 3 rates based on time of day only.

	1984 - 3 rates based on time of day + continental and coast to coast
	       rates.

	1985 - 3 rates based on time of day + 4 or 5 zones + this + that.

I suppose everyone else is the same ...
--

					-- Lee Carlson
					-- Boeing Errorspace, Seattle

rp321@uiucuxa.CSO.UIUC.EDU (12/13/85)

/* Written  7:53 pm  Dec 11, 1985 by daw1@mhuxl.UUCP in uiucuxa:net.consumers */

> I don't find much difference in the cost of

	The above is the whole article that arrived here. [At least
I can quote the whole article and not get flamed :-)] This is what
happens on el-cheapo lines! :-)

				Doug @ The Right Choice

[To any knuckleheads reading this: note those smiley faces]
/* End of text from uiucuxa:net.consumers */

Maybe the line eater has mutated again!  Ah, the "Right Choice's" wonderful
software! :-)

			Russell J. Price
			University of Illinois
			{ ihnp4, pur-ee, convex }!uiucdcs!uiucuxa!rp321
			rp321@uiucuxa.CSO.UIUC.EDU
Disclaimer: the above address will not be valid pretty soon... the semester's
ending....