[net.consumers] Getting a chimney to Draw

early@tonto.DEC (the higher we climb, the better the view) (12/11/85)

>>The cure seemed to be leaving a door
>>cracked open to  the  outside until the fire got hot enough.
>>Maybe you have a similar problem.  It is possible the house is
>>too air-tight?

>opened the slider to help air it out.  Next time it goes out
>(hopefully not until next spring) I plan on testing the theory by
>opening the door first.

Opening the door sounds like a good plan. Let us know how well
it works.

I have read a few things about making fires in stoves and fireplaces.
It is my understanding that it is possible to have a house that is so
airtight, that there is no "draw" to go up the chimney.

Generally, a fireplace works the same way: If you want hot air to rise
up the chimney, it must be replaced by a similiar volume of air into the
room. Even an "airtight" [thin ground here] stove needs some air to
permit combustion, and generally most houses have some air to supply
due to leakage.

					Bob_the_hiker

robert@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (12/12/85)

The last house I lived in that had a fireplace had a metal door on
the outside face of the chimney so you could scoop the ashes from
outside (and not get ashes all over the rug). This door was high
enough up so embers wouldn't fall out of it, so we propped it open a
bit so the fire would draw outside air rather than cause drafts in
the house.
--

		Robert Plamondon
		UUCP: {turtlevax, resonex, cae780}!weitek!robert

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (12/14/85)

In article <1696@decwrl.UUCP> early@tonto.DEC (the higher we climb, the better the view) writes:
>Generally, a fireplace works the same way: If you want hot air to rise
>up the chimney, it must be replaced by a similiar volume of air into the
>room. Even an "airtight" [thin ground here] stove needs some air to
>permit combustion, and generally most houses have some air to supply
>due to leakage.

A well designed fireplace, intended to provide warmth to the room it's  in,
should include some kind of direct outside air intake.  A fireplace without
such an intake can actually make your house colder by drawing  outside  air
in  through  cracks,  windows,  and  doors.  (Many  fireplaces  in Southern
California are designed this way and will help cool a house of  a  summer's
evening).

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             Geniuses are people so lazy they
Santa Monica, CA  90405           do everything right the first time.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe