[net.consumers] True but irrelevant advertising claims H&R Block

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (12/17/85)

In article <14@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:
>>From: csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst)
>>Ken's experience is a common one: A product that is marketed with claims that
>>are utterly irrelevant, even though true.
>
>My pet one along those lines is the H&R Block ad where they make a big
>deal out of the fact that if you are audited, they will go with you.  Sure
>they will--they have to--it's the law!

My information may be out of date, but I think it's even worse  than  that.
What  Block  _doesn't_  tell  you  in  their  commercials  is they're _not_
licensed as accountants.  What they really are is a _secretarial  service_.
That  means they don't sign as preparer on your form and they aren't liable
if it's wrong.  They really are doing you a favor by  going  to  the  audit
with you.  They don't have to.

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             Geniuses are people so lazy they
Santa Monica, CA  90405           do everything right the first time.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe