[net.consumers] International Star Ripoff - Update

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (12/17/85)

In article <14100010@convexs> ayers@convexs.UUCP writes:

>This year (spring/summer?) the ISR folks tried to do exactly what the
>above poster said and the Library of Congress TURNED DOWN THE REGISTRATION!
>Said it wasn't really a book and refused to give it an ISBN number.
>
>So, unless they have been able to get that changed, they are advertising
>something they can't come through on...

The latest advertisement has carefully changed the wording. Now it says
that "your name will go into a book to be published later for future
generations to share and enjoy." I suppose they are going to write a
book on how they ripped off the public, and "your" name will be in it.
Or perhaps they have given up on registering it, and will just put out
a paperback (in four-colour parchment, no doubt) that they will mail to
all people who fell for their scam. No doubt at an additional price.

So hold on a little longer. International Scam Ripoff will see that
the gift your friend gave you will make you a celebrity yet.

(Scams like this make me puke. They also make me mad that I didn't think
of them first.)

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (12/24/85)

In article <589@cylixd.UUCP> dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:

>(Scams like this make me puke. They also make me mad that I didn't think
>of them first.)

So what if they thought if it first?  You can still do it if you want to.
I'm not sure if it would be better to charge less and hope to take away
their suckers ( er, customers ) with a better deal, or to charge more and
try to convince people your stars are "better", and so are worth more.

Nah, forget mere stars.  Sell galaxies...
--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim