[net.consumers] Energy efficient window coverings.

kwmc@mtuxo.UUCP (k.cochran) (01/06/86)

My wife and I are having a house built in New Jersey, and I have some
questions about the most energy efficient types of blinds,drapes etc.

The house has forced air central heating and wood framed therma-pane
windows.

Given this set up, does anyone have any recommendations as to the type
of window coverings we should use. To maximise heat retention in Winter
and minimize heat absorption in the summer. Looks are important ie we're
not wanting to put up silver and black coverings.

I will summarize if there is much response.

		Thanks,     Ken Cochran      201-834-2283
						mtuxo!kwmc

smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) (01/07/86)

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh

> Given this set up, does anyone have any recommendations as to the type
> of window coverings we should use. To maximise heat retention in Winter
> and minimize heat absorption in the summer. Looks are important ie we're
> not wanting to put up silver and black coverings.

Thermal indoor shutter: R-6.0 (FTR shutters) to R-2.5 (Wallrich)
Roller shade: R-2.5 (Appropriate Technology) to R-1.5 (Solar Energy Components)
Storm Windows: R-1.1 (sheet construction) to R-0.9 (film construction)
Draperies and liners: R-0.9
Standard window shades: R-0.6

Note the higher the R-value the better.  Source, Consumer Reports.

In article <433@mhuxl.UUCP>, smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) writes:
>> Given this set up, does anyone have any recommendations as to the type
>> of window coverings we should use. To maximise heat retention in Winter
>> and minimize heat absorption in the summer. Looks are important ie we're
>> not wanting to put up silver and black coverings.
>
>Thermal indoor shutter: R-6.0 (FTR shutters) to R-2.5 (Wallrich)
>Roller shade: R-2.5 (Appropriate Technology) to R-1.5 (Solar Energy Components)
>Storm Windows: R-1.1 (sheet construction) to R-0.9 (film construction)
>Draperies and liners: R-0.9
>Standard window shades: R-0.6
>
>Note the higher the R-value the better.  Source, Consumer Reports.

Note too that even if you didn't care for looks, black coverings would not
be a good idea since they would absorb light energy and become hot during
the day in summer and would radiate away energy as infrared rays at night
in winter.  Better silver or white.
|        skokie, illinois        |