[net.consumers] "Comfy" Dolls

barb@pyuxa.UUCP (B E Nemeth) (01/04/86)

I thought I would pass on some info
I heard regarding "Comfy" dolls.
These dolls are made in Taiwan,
but I do not know the manufacturers name,
although the dolls are called "Comfy".
It seems the doll's stuffing is contaminated
with insecticide/pesticide.
The grandchild of someone my mom works with
was getting sick and after some investigation
they found out about this contaminated doll that the
child had.

This is all the info I have.
Has anyone heard of anything else?

Barb Nemeth
bellcore!pyuxa!barb

mcal@ihuxb.UUCP (Mike Clifford) (01/04/86)

> I thought I would pass on some info
> I heard regarding "Comfy" dolls.
> These dolls are made in Taiwan,
> but I do not know the manufacturers name,
> although the dolls are called "Comfy".
> It seems the doll's stuffing is contaminated
> with insecticide/pesticide.
> The grandchild of someone my mom works with
> was getting sick and after some investigation
> they found out about this contaminated doll that the
> child had.
> This is all the info I have.
> Has anyone heard of anything else?
> Barb Nemeth
> bellcore!pyuxa!barb

Hmmm, we bought one of these Comfy dolls for Lauren (about $5, right?) and
haven't seen any ill effects.  I sure do hate to take the chance that it is
OK, only to have Lauren get sick later.  I'd really appreciate more details,
or maybe more on how it was discovered that the doll was contaminated, the
symptoms of the illness...
Also, the same company (Abernathy and ???) is offering "Comfy" Bears now.
We just received something in the mail about it.  Looks very similar to the
Comfy doll.

Mike Clifford

dsn@umcp-cs.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) (01/05/86)

In article <1342@pyuxa.UUCP> barb@pyuxa.UUCP (B E Nemeth) writes:
>I thought I would pass on some info I heard regarding "Comfy" dolls. ...
>It seems the doll's stuffing is contaminated with insecticide/pesticide. ...

According to a UPI article in the Dec. 29 Washington Post, the Los Angeles
county health dept. has found six "Komfy Kid" dolls to be contaminated with
phenol.  Several other chemicals also were found, including Malathion in one
of the dolls.  The article says these chemicals are "similar to those
discovered in at least 8000 'Cabbage Patch'-type dolls last week by health
officials."

The article says there are no "substantiated reports" of a child becoming
ill because of the dolls, but that health officials are asking all consumers
who have noticed kerosene-like odors in such dolls to either send them back
or take them to the health department.

The Komfy Kid dolls are imported from Taiwan, and are marketed by Abernathy
and Closther (whom health workers have been unable to contact!).  The
article speculates that Abernathy and Closther may also market the "Popcorn
Kid" and "Chocolate Kid" dolls.

According to the article, the Consumer Product Safety Commission doesn't
think the dolls pose a "significant health threat"--but the LA County Health
Dept. says the CPSC is only concerned with toys that cause acute illness
and death, and does not address chronic, long-term effects on health.
--

Dana S. Nau, Comp Sci Dept, U of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742
dsn@maryland	seismo!umcp-cs!dsn	(301) 454-7932

> I thought I would pass on some info
> I heard regarding "Comfy" dolls.
> These dolls are made in Taiwan,
> but I do not know the manufacturers name,
> although the dolls are called "Comfy".
> It seems the doll's stuffing is contaminated
> with insecticide/pesticide.
> The grandchild of someone my mom works with
> was getting sick and after some investigation
> they found out about this contaminated doll that the
> child had.
> This is all the info I have.
> Has anyone heard of anything else?

	The outfit selling the Comfy Kid Dolls under the name "A&C" is the very
same infamous Abernathy & Closthier, which is related to Carter & Van Peel,
which is related to Romar Sales, which is related to Marine Surplus Depot,
which is related to Windisch Interational, which is related to ad nauseam...
	This is also the same outfit which sold the `Malin' hunting knives
discussed in this newsgroup a few months ago.
	You get what you pay for...

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                          burl!gladys!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==

stu16@whuxl.UUCP (SMITH) (01/07/86)

> In article <1342@pyuxa.UUCP> barb@pyuxa.UUCP (B E Nemeth) writes:
> >I thought I would pass on some info I heard regarding "Comfy" dolls. ...
> >It seems the doll's stuffing is contaminated with insecticide/pesticide. ...

     Good old A&C have done it again!!!!
--
whuxl!stu16

waycott@mot.UUCP (John Waycott) (01/09/86)

> I thought I would pass on some info
> I heard regarding "Comfy" dolls.
> It seems the doll's stuffing is contaminated
> with insecticide/pesticide.

> Has anyone heard of anything else?

A local paper here had an article just after Christmas concerning these
dolls.  According to the article, California health officials claim that
the dolls are contaminated with insecticide and petroleum products.
Federal officals say that there is no problem.

The article also said that the U.S. distributor will give anyone a
full refund if it is returned (I can't remember who that is).  They
also suggested that you have the doll tested by the local Health
Department.

My daughter got two of these dolls for Christmas, and after reading
the article we inspected the dolls and noticed a very heavy smell,
similary to petroleum based products like "Raid".  Since the dolls
were so cheap, we decided it was not worth the effort to return
them so we destroyed them.  One of our neighbor's got one of the
dolls for her daughter, but it seemed to smell okay.

--
John Waycott, Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ, (602) 438-3164
{seismo!terak, trwrb!flkvax, utzoo!mnetor, ihnp4, attunix}!mot!waycott