[net.consumers] Cashier wants zipcode?

wasser@viking.DEC (John A. Wasser) (12/17/85)

	Something funny happened while I was out consuming last
	weekend.  When I bought some stuff at a "Jamesway" store
	in Saratoga Springs, NY the cashier asked me what my zipcode
	was and entered it into the register.  Looks like they
	want to know where their customers come from so they
	know where to send sales flyers....  Any other guesses?

		-John A. Wasser

Work address:
ARPAnet:	WASSER%VIKING.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
Usenet:		{allegra,Shasta,decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-viking!wasser
Easynet:	VIKING::WASSER
Telephone:	(617)486-2505
USPS:		Digital Equipment Corp.
		Mail stop: LJO2/E4
		30 Porter Rd
		Littleton, MA  01460

rjn@hpfcla.UUCP (12/18/85)

re: cashier asking for ZIP code ... happened to me too

I presume that it is so they can determine where their customer base is, and
therefore which ZIP code areas to target for bulk mailings.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                            3404 East Harmony Road
[ihnp4|hplabs]!hpfcla!rjn                             Fort Collins CO  80525

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (12/18/85)

RE:
	... the cashier asked me what my zipcode
        was and entered it into the register.  Looks like they
        want to know where their customers come from so they
        know where to send sales flyers....  Any other guesses?

Around here they determine by zipcode which checks they accept and which
ones are from areas "too far away" from the store.

johansen@agrigene.UUCP (12/19/85)

> 	Something funny happened while I was out consuming last
> 	weekend.  When I bought some stuff at a "Jamesway" store
> 	in Saratoga Springs, NY the cashier asked me what my zipcode
> 	was and entered it into the register.  Looks like they
> 	want to know where their customers come from so they
> 	know where to send sales flyers....  Any other guesses?
>
> 		-John A. Wasser

Same thing happened at Toys R Us in Madison. I assumed it had something
to do with credit card verification.

mather@uicsl.UUCP (12/20/85)

At our local Service Merchandise (discount warehouse merchandise  store)
the computer requires the zip code  to process your order.   Interesting
idea about not wanting zips  from too far away...   I thought the  whole
thing was VERY bizarre.

This new stoe  is pretty  neat, though.   They  have computer  terminals
around the store and you can just enter the item # and it will tell  you
if it is stock, the price,  if it is sale, if  it has a rebate, if  only
the display model is  available (last one), etc.   You answer some  more
questions and then walk  over to another  desk at the  other end of  the
store and THERE it is with a computerized sales printout and the  rebate
coupon attached.  Wow!  Most people  seemed to be a bit shy about  using
them though and preferred a  REAL person to help them  get the item.   I
personally don't like  salespeople.   They never seem  to know  anything
about any of the products.
----
				b.c.mather
				Software Surgeon
				uiucdcs!uicsl!mather

> 	Something funny happened while I was out consuming last
> 	weekend.  When I bought some stuff at a "Jamesway" store
> 	in Saratoga Springs, NY the cashier asked me what my zipcode
> 	was and entered it into the register.  Looks like they
> 	want to know where their customers come from so they
> 	know where to send sales flyers....  Any other guesses?

	It could be for sales tax calculation purposes.  If you live in
X County which has X_rate of sales tax, and you purchase something in
Y County which has Y_rate of sakes tax, you have the RIGHT to pay the
X_rate instead of the Y_rate on the assumption that you are taking the
goods to X County for use and consumption.  Please note that this applies
to New York State - I am not certain about any other states.
	Not many people are aware of the above, and even fewer stores will
voluntarily make the accomodation - so perhaps that's not the reason after
all.

===  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        ===
===  UUCP    {decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  ===
===  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice,shell}!baylor!/             ===
===  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3}               ihnp4!/               ===
===                                                                        ===
===                   "Have you hugged your cat today?"                    ===

donn@hpfcla.UUCP (12/23/85)

From avoiding the issue at Radio Shack, I've found that at they get in
real trouble if they don't at least try, but at least one salesman
(maybe more) has gotten the idea that "refused" is a complete name and
address.  I don't like giving my address not so much as an issue of
privacy (though that's a factor) but because I don't need the junk mail
and I don't often want to take the time.

If that doesn't work: does anyone know the address of the owner of
Radio Shack? (Hmmm....).

Donn Terry
HP, Ft. Collins.

rastaman@ihdev.UUCP (Sid Bryozoan) (12/23/85)

In article <256@agrigene.UUCP> johansen@agrigene.UUCP writes:

>> 	in Saratoga Springs, NY the cashier asked me what my zipcode
>> 	was and entered it into the register.  Looks like they
>> 	want to know where their customers come from so they
>> 	know where to send sales flyers....  Any other guesses?
>>
>> 		-John A. Wasser
>>
>Same thing happened at Toys R Us in Madison. I assumed it had something
>to do with credit card verification.

A Toys "R" Us cashier in the Chicago 'burbs explained to me that they
sometimes send flyers/newspaper inserts to selected areas only.  Then
they check to see if there's any effect on who comes into the stores.

silber@lasspvax.UUCP (Jeffrey Silber) (12/23/85)

A local store here (Jamesway) is asking for zip codes, and a sign by the
register states that it is for marketing purposes (targeting advertising,
direct mail, etc.).

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (12/26/85)

Zipcodes are used by marketing types in these companies
to corelate spending habits by area.  The only things used
in these studies are the amounts spent and the zipcodes.
This will enable the marketing groups to target their
sales pitches.  Its been done for years.  You can just bet
your bippy that low income areas do not get mailings of
flyers from the snooty stores.  Those mailings are targeted
for the ritzier parts of town.  On the other hand, you can
also just bet that the lower income areas get a mailbox
full of trash from the bargain stores.

T. C. Wheeler
.

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (12/26/85)

--
I've never been asked for my zip, but am often asked for my
complete address.  And my name.  Even when I'm paying cash.

Does this happen to you too?  Perhaps these nosey stores would
abandon their interrogations if more people refused to give
them the information.  If you pay cash, don't tell 'em a thing.
You have the right to remain silent!
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

gm@trsvax (12/27/85)

>> A Toys "R" Us cashier in the Chicago 'burbs explained to me that they
>> sometimes send flyers/newspaper inserts to selected areas only.  Then
>> they check to see if there's any effect on who comes into the stores.

The Toys "R" Us around here (Ft. Worth) have been doing it to "determine if
there is a need for another store." I guess they look at the zip code and
decide how far this person has traveled. If they are all coming from an
area 10 miles away, perhaps they should open a store over there. Smells
like marketing types with yellow ties are behind it.

root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (12/28/85)

Re: being asked for things like full name and address even when paying
cash, 'only doing their job'...

Radio Schlock here does this I assume for mailing lists for their
catalogs. I find smiling wryly and with a slight tone of boredom
announcing (overly loud helps) REFUSED works. With me it's not so
much the privacy (they get my address etc when I pay with plastic
anyhow) but the stupid delay over throwing a buck down for a battery
or some other trivial sale when you are in a rush. The other thing
I do is just say BOSTON UNIVERSITY and leave it at that (it's right
down the block from my office so I run in there a lot for some piece
of trivia in a jam, usually in a terrible rush, if I weren't I would
be buying from a *real* dealer...$50 for an RS232 cable my foot!)

I have found that when people say 'I am just doing my job' answering
"so am I" in a serious tone works, ya just gotta believe in your heart
that your needs are as important to you as theirs are to them.

The local Cable company pulled this on me over a shutoff charge
(they admitted having the check but hadn't "processed" it yet
when the due date hit, they had it for three days!) Of course, the
person on the other end of the phone defended with 'just doing my
job' in response to which I announced *my* new business policies
which would include demanding credit for even 5 minute interruptions
in service and making sure my neighbors did the same until they start
to realize that their 'policies' can profit from treating people like
human beings, I am going to find out if I can demand my credits in writing
also, making it cost them to hold onto stupid policies is a good defense,
ask to see managers, ask for the wonderful policies in writing etc etc.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

> I've never been asked for my zip, but am often asked for my
> complete address.  And my name.  Even when I'm paying cash.
> (In the Chicago area the 2 top harrassers are Marshall Field's,
> a large, posh dept. store, and of course, the ubiquitous Radio
> Shack.)  Anyway, I find these intrusions into my privacy very
> rude, and say so to the cashiers.  I try to be polite in my
> refusal--the cashiers, after all, are just doing what they were
> told to do--but they often become quite indignant.  Bleeaaaahhh.
> Sometimes I have to insist, "Sorry, I value my privacy" two or
> three times.
>
> Does this happen to you too?  Perhaps these nosey stores would
> abandon their interrogations if more people refused to give
> them the information.  If you pay cash, don't tell 'em a thing.
> You have the right to remain silent!

	Like you, I used to get aggrivated when asked for my name and address
for a $ 3.00 purchase at Radio Shack.  So rather than argue with the clerk, I
thought I would have some fun in return: I generally give a name of a famous
criminal, adding a Jr. or III as appropriate, along with a phony address.
	I can *assure* you that Radio Shack is doing their best to send
catalogs to Al Capone III in Buffalo, New York...

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                          burl!gladys!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==

csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) (12/28/85)

In article <826@bu-cs.UUCP> root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) writes:
>Re: being asked for things like full name and address even when paying
>cash, 'only doing their job'...
>
>Radio Schlock here does this I assume for mailing lists for their
>catalogs.

Correct. And if you spell your address slightly different on two trips (like
Joe Schmoe versus Joseph Schmoe) you'll get two copies of every mailing....

And with a name like mine it gets misspelled a lot....
--
Carl S. Gutekunst   {allegra,cmcl2,decwrl,hplabs,topaz,ut-sally}!pyramid!csg
Pyramid Technology Corp, Mountain View, CA  +1 415 965 7200

Look, Ma, no graphics!

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (12/30/85)

> The Toys "R" Us around here (Ft. Worth) have been doing it to "determine if
> there is a need for another store." I guess they look at the zip code and
> decide how far this person has traveled. If they are all coming from an
> area 10 miles away, perhaps they should open a store over there. Smells
> like marketing types with yellow ties are behind it.

I resemble that remark.  I don't know why you grumble at marketing types
doing simple dematographics like that.   Collection of zip codes is trivial
enough.  It got even worse when the nearby MacDonald's wanted to expand,
they asked me a dozen questions, where I live, where I had just come from,
where I was going to with the food.

Zip codes have two advantages, they're easy to collect, most people know
what their zip code is, even though they will insist on using an incorrect
or misleading city name.  Their are people around here who don't even know
what their street address is.  They are just Rural Route 1, White Marsh, MD
21162.  This causes some problems for the fire department, except for the
fact that the phone company relays the address up on the ALI screens to the
911 operators.  The phone companies computers always manage to get a street
address (and a nine digit zip code, this is how I found out what mine was).

The market research company I used to work for needed something for
geographic districts back before their were zipcodes.  The first two digits
in their 5-digit code is the state number (states are numbered sequentially
in alphabetical order, except that Alaska and Hawaii are 49 and 50, placing
this is the proper time perspective) and followed by three digits of within
state district.  Problem was, that these had to be looked up by hand.

-Ron

ran@ho95e.UUCP (RANeinast) (12/31/85)

> From avoiding the issue at Radio Shack, I've found that at they get in
> real trouble if they don't at least try, but at least one salesman
> (maybe more) has gotten the idea that "refused" is a complete name and
> address.  I don't like giving my address not so much as an issue of
> privacy (though that's a factor) but because I don't need the junk mail
> and I don't often want to take the time.

> If that doesn't work: does anyone know the address of the owner of
> Radio Shack? (Hmmm....).

> Donn Terry
> HP, Ft. Collins.

I find that saying, "I'm already on your mailing list" usually works
just fine.
--

". . . and shun the frumious Bandersnatch."
Robert Neinast (ihnp4!ho95c!ran)

stu16@whuxl.UUCP (SMITH) (12/31/85)

> what their street address is.  They are just Rural Route 1, White Marsh, MD
> 21162.  This causes some problems for the fire department, except for the
> fact that the phone company relays the address up on the ALI screens to the
> 911 operators.  The phone companies computers always manage to get a street
> address (and a nine digit zip code, this is how I found out what mine was).

      Some people in really rural areas REALLY don't have
street addresses. Some people in N.J. don't have house
numbers, only a street name.  (We don't have a house
number).

> The market research company I used to work for needed something for
> geographic districts back before their were zipcodes.  The first two digits
> in their 5-digit code is the state number (states are numbered sequentially
> in alphabetical order, except that Alaska and Hawaii are 49 and 50, placing
> this is the proper time perspective) and followed by three digits of within
> state district.  Problem was, that these had to be looked up by hand.

         So how come N.J. has 07 and 08, while California
has 09? Call that alphbetical? And NYC has 100. Conn is 03
and Maine is 04. Strange alphabet.
--
whuxl!stu16
(mamawitch)

ron@hpfcla.UUCP (12/31/85)

I don't object to zipcode questions.....

They can't use it to make annoying phone calls and you can always
line the bottom of your birdcage with junk mail   :-)

Ron Miller

"Show me a country where the newspapers are filled with good news
and I'll show you a country where the jails are filled with good people."
					-<I forgot>

Service Engineering  (Hardware Support)
Hewlett-Packard Co.
Ft. Collins Systems Div. [ Home of the HP 9000 Series 200,300 & 500 ]
Ft. Collins, Colorado
303-226-3800

at: {ihnp4}hpfcla!ron

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (12/31/85)

Speaking of avoiding junk mail, does anyone remember the story about
that guy in Vermont who was supplying a good percentage of his winter
heating by burning junk mail? He apparently actively got himself on
every list and was, at the time of the news report I saw, getting
bagfuls daily.  The post office if I remember correctly was 'amused'.
I guess in warmer climes you could always take up papier-mache crafts :-)

Hey, it's all a matter of attitude.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (Bill.Stewart.4K435.x0705) (01/01/86)

In article <671@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>	Like you, I used to get aggrivated when asked for my name and address
>for a $ 3.00 purchase at Radio Shack.  So rather than argue ....
>..... I can *assure* you that Radio Shack is doing their best to send
>catalogs to Al Capone III in Buffalo, New York...

With most places, I also get annoyed, but I give Radio Shack a break -
in return for giving them you address, they will give you a battery
card, entitling you to one free bottom-of-the-barrel battery a month.
Over the past 10 years, I've *probably* spent more on merchandise there
than they've spent on batteries, but not much more.
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (01/01/86)

> The market research company I used to work for needed something for
> geographic districts back before their were zipcodes.  The first two digits
> in their 5-digit code is the state number (states are numbered sequentially
> in alphabetical order, except that Alaska and Hawaii are 49 and 50, placing
> this is the proper time perspective) and followed by three digits of within
> state district.  Problem was, that these had to be looked up by hand.

Zip codes use low numbers in the East, high numbers in the West.
Thus Bomoseen, Vermont is 05732 and San Francisco, California is
94120 (and probably other zip codes as well).  Some states have
more than one initial digit pair, such as New York (100xx for Manhattan
but 11550 for Hempstead).

mbr@aoa.UUCP (Mark Rosenthal) (01/02/86)

In article <671@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:

>	Like you, I used to get aggrivated when asked for my name and address
>for a $ 3.00 purchase at Radio Shack.  So rather than argue with the clerk, I
>thought I would have some fun in return: I generally give a name of a famous
>criminal, adding a Jr. or III as appropriate, along with a phony address.
>	I can *assure* you that Radio Shack is doing their best to send
>catalogs to Al Capone III in Buffalo, New York...

Even more fun is to give them a bogus name and the address of a Radio Shack
store in another city.
--

	Mark of the Valley of Roses
	...!{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!aoa!mbr

	"There was an old woman, as I have heard say.
	 She tickled the critters that came in her way.
	 Hi, ho, fiddle dee dee."

bruceb@amiga.UUCP (Bruce Barrett) (01/03/86)

In article <163700002@hpfcdc.UUCP> donn@hpfcla.UUCP writes:
>If that doesn't work: does anyone know the address of the owner of
>Radio Shack? (Hmmm....).

Probably won't make much difference. Radio Shack seems to have a good
sysyem of removing duplicates from their list.  If we all got together
and conspired he/she would still only get 1 cataloge.

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (01/03/86)

> > The market research company I used to work for needed something for
> > geographic districts back before their were zipcodes.  The first two digits
> > in their 5-digit code is the state number (states are numbered sequentially
-------^^^^^
> > in alphabetical order, except that Alaska and Hawaii are 49 and 50, placing
> > this is the proper time perspective) and followed by three digits of within
> > state district.  Problem was, that these had to be looked up by hand.
>
>          So how come N.J. has 07 and 08, while California
> has 09? Call that alphbetical? And NYC has 100. Conn is 03
> and Maine is 04. Strange alphabet.
> --
Come'on READ PLEASE.  The code that I am describing is the special pre-zipcode
code used by ARBITRON called an ARBSU.

-Ron

ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) (01/08/86)

> If that doesn't work: does anyone know the address of the owner of
> Radio Shack? (Hmmm....).
> Donn Terry

How about this, BOYCOTT Radio SH*T  I've done it for years now!!!

					Addison
					ihnp4!ihlpa!ibyf

My brother? I always thought of him as mom and dad's science project.

evan@pedsgo.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (01/09/86)

In article <992@ihlpa.UUCP> ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) writes:
>How about this, BOYCOTT Radio SH*T  I've done it for years now!!!
>
>					Addison
>					ihnp4!ihlpa!ibyf

Boy, and look at the effect he's had so far!  Tandy is practically on their
knees because of Mr. Addison's boycott!  Tandy's president is probably
planning to write a personal letter to Mr. Addison pleading for him to come
home again.   Great work, Scott.  Now *THIS* is capitalism at work!  [:-)]
--
NAME:   Evan L. Marcus
UUCP:   ...vax135!petsd!pedsgd!pedsgo!evan