[net.consumers] basic phone service for poor/old

early@tonto.DEC (the higher we climb, the better the view) (01/06/86)

Newsgroups: net.consumers
Subject: Re: Long Distance

>>...add the coming rate increases for my
>>basic service and for *forced* charity I begin to wonder if I
>>really need a telephone.

>The thought, for example, of an elderly or invalid person not being
>able to afford a phone and hence access to emergency services should
>be disturbing, it is not a consumer issue except perhaps to the hard
>of heart.
>Sorry, but I find views like this disturbing.

I find views like this disturbing, for these reasons:

1) If  I  understand  you correctly, if very old and very poor people are
granted free 'basic'  telephone  service;    that  means  every  old  and
indigent  person  will  be  entitled  to  'their'  personal  free  phone,
regardless of their living arrangements.    (  I  am extending the logic,
because  in  places like Massachusetts 'free'  services  tend  to  become
extended,and it's the working class that tends  to  pay  the bills, along
with the TAXABLE corporations.  I highlight taxable, because BU isn't.

2) Under what conditions do you propose "free" phone service ?

3) I think the issue is to complex  to  be adequately discussed in a few
lines at everyone elses' expense.

I think you have a good idea, but I think  it  should  be  tied  to TOTAL
assets,  and the phone must be directed to something like a  911  number,
and  not  permit  any calls except emergency calls, to prevent systematic
abuses.

(Maybe this belongs in net.med.pay.pay.pay)
>crushing pain in your chest you better have a $10 bill in your hand
>when you knock on *my* door to call for help.
>-Barry Shein, Boston University

This sounds  like  you  are  a  medical doctor.  The latest fad is not to
treat patients you  haven't  previously qualified, unless employed in the
ER at a local hospital.

I've also been denied  treatment (for a very sick child) at my *favorite*
clinic because I didn't have the $20.00 to pay in advance.

Newsgroups: net.consumers
Subject: Re: Cheap copies of brand-name perfumes

>the govt. that allows them to lie about this. This is true even
>of expensive, big name perfumes (I heard from an old-timer that
.
.
>at IFF, that the coffee industry was granted that little lie during
>WWII to keep people happy with second-rate coffee and no one has

A recent news release comes  to  mind  when  I read this aspect about the
perfume industry.  The release has  to do with two drugs, both of which I
am more than familiar as a user.

The two drugs are: Darvon, and Dimetapp.
When the drug companies seemed to have an exclusivity of marketing share,
they were only available by prescription, and even  with  the  advent  of
many  generic  brands,  they were still only available by  prescription...
for awhile.

The news release, is paraphrased as follows:  " Dimetapp and Darvon will
now be available as over the counter drugs" .

Neat  !    Sort  of kills profits for the generic manufacturers.    As  I
understand  it,  these   "drugs"  were  only  available  by  prescription
(according to FDA).

Now that they've been  proliferated  as  a  generic  drug, it's now safe
enough for counter sales everywhere.    Does  the  FDA  and  certain drug
companies make deals ?  Makes me wonder.  Like, what happened to the 'hot
dog ingredients' on their label ?

			bob early
(Dec E-Net)	TONTO::EARLY)
(UUCP)		decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!tonto!early

"I laugh, lest I cry " -anon.-

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (01/08/86)

From: early@tonto.DEC (the higher we climb, the better the view)

>1) If  I  understand  you correctly, if very old and very poor people are
>granted free 'basic'  telephone  service;    that  means  every  old  and
>indigent  person  will  be  entitled  to  'their'  personal  free  phone,
>regardless of their living arrangements.    (  I  am extending the logic,
>because  in  places like Massachusetts 'free'  services  tend  to  become
>extended,and it's the working class that tends  to  pay  the bills, along
>with the TAXABLE corporations.  I highlight taxable, because BU isn't.

You are right, you are confused. This was a consumer issue and was about
a charge being tagged onto phone bills to aid the indigent. AT&T is *not*
the IRS, so your comment about TAXABLE is irrelevant. Also, remember,
BU as a tax-free university as you mention is on the receiving end of
that pie and would gladly kick their grandmother down a flight of stairs
before losing out on a piece of that pie to pay her phone bill :-)
More to the point, we also pay phone bills. More to the point, you are
silly if you think my opinions likely have much to do with the tax status
of the company I work for, I doubt yours do either (you probably don't
even know what the tax status of DEC is, neither do they probably.)
If taxes and/or charities are not to come from either those who work
or the corporations they work for, then where in the heck *might* they
come from? Don't bother, I understand, you weren't to be taken seriously.
If you do not think that Universities have traditionally, BU included,
provided at least as much benefit to the society as paying their taxes
would have that is too bad, but again, an entirely different issue.

>2) Under what conditions do you propose "free" phone service ?

If the implication is that because we see it is complicated to adjudge
the truly needy we should therefore allow them to starve rather than possibly
make the error of letting a nickel slip into an undeserving hand I am
quite certain you *are* having trouble with such decisions. Leave it to
others and just pay your bills. I suspect a reasonably workable solution
to this could be worked out and yes, horrors, an efficient system would
allow some abusers, otherwise you are probably paying most of the money
to bureaucrats triple-checking cases rather than getting anything to the
needy at all (we approach this situation in our welfare system.) A common
error of people is to confuse moral and economic concerns, guaranteeing
no abusers of a charity system is a common example of this, sorry, thems
da breaks, it aint a perfect world. No one will ever build a perfect
charity disbursement system until the recipients are the source of the
honesty and in such a world I doubt charity would be necessary (it would
be a utopia.) Until then, we do what we can and hope the balance is in
'our' favor (that is, a high percentage of them that gets are needy.)
It is unfortunate how the press has fanned these flames of 'welfare cheats',
personally I think we have worse problems in this world than charity abuse.

>3) I think the issue is to complex  to  be adequately discussed in a few
>lines at everyone elses' expense.

But you couldn't restrain yourself?

>I think you have a good idea, but I think  it  should  be  tied  to TOTAL
>assets,  and the phone must be directed to something like a  911  number,
>and  not  permit  any calls except emergency calls, to prevent systematic
>abuses.

agreed, but again you are back to how to administer rather than the existence
of charity which is what the original note was about.

In some desperate attempt to draw this back to the original issue, it was
a consumer gripe about attaching a subsidy to phone bills to aid the indigent.
I think my point was that of all the consumer abuses going on getting all
fired up about the possibility of paying for a phone for some such person
didn't seem worth the adrenalin regardless of possible abuses (other than
finding out the phone company actually put it all into a good mutual fund,
which is probably what will happen, groan.)

Oh well, enough. Onwards to poisoned baby's dolls, now there's an abuse!

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

sasaki@harvard.UUCP (Marty Sasaki) (01/08/86)

I believe that New England Telephone (a NYNEX company) provides phone
service for the poor (regardless of age, all you have to do is show
that you can't afford to pay) at a very basic level. You have to pay
for your phone calls (message units), but the telephone, and the line
are free.

I feel that this is reasonable and am happy to be contributing.
--
----------------
  Marty Sasaki				net:   sasaki@harvard.{arpa,uucp}

drp@ptsfb.UUCP (Dale Pederson) (01/09/86)

Pacific Bell offers "Universal Lifeline Service".  Customers with
a total household income of less than $11,500 per year can qualify
for the discounted monthly service charge.  Rates are adjusted to
reflect the Consumer Price Index.

In California anyone qualified can get this basic service.  It is
currently in the neighborhood of $4.50 per month.  The service
provided is essentially the same as the normal basic residence
receives.