[net.consumers] Selling price vs appraised value

daw1@mhuxl.UUCP (WILLIAMS) (01/08/86)

	This is in reference to the articles about "no money
down" and "be a credit card millionaire" real estate deals.
Someone said that the house would be appraised at the price
it was sold for. But...

	What does selling price have to do with value in a case
like that? I can certainly appreciate your wife's desire to stay
away from someone involved in one of these strange deals, however!
I took a college course in real estate and the appraisal process
is fairly straight-forward: Let's say I am looking at a house that
someone is selling for $100K. Let's say the guy is basing his asking
price on an appraisal he has in his back pocket that says the house
has an appraised value of $98K. So I go up with a suitcase full of
cash and buy it for $50K. Then I want to get it appraised for some
reason, so I call your wife. On what does she base her appraisal?
If I don't say a word she should arrive at a value of about $98K,
give or take the normal variation of the appraisal. This would be
based on equivalent homes recently sold, reconstruction costs,
and whatever else you base it on that I can't recall right now.
If I do say that I paid $50K, why should that change her bottom
line value? What if I bought the home at a tax sale for $1000?
Does that mean it is only worth $1000?
	This is not a flame! But please answer and enlighten us!

                1
              1   1
	    1   2   1			Doug Williams
	  1   3   3   1			AT&T Bell Labs
	1   4   6   4   1 		Reading, PA
      1   5   10  10   5   1		mhuxl!daw1
    1   6  15   20   15  6   1

olsen@ll-xn.ARPA (Jim Olsen) (01/13/86)

In article <439@mhuxl.UUCP>, daw1@mhuxl.UUCP (WILLIAMS) writes:

> 	This is in reference to the articles about "no money
> down" and "be a credit card millionaire" real estate deals.
> Someone said that the house would be appraised at the price
> it was sold for. But...

> 	What does selling price have to do with value in a case
> like that? ...

If I recall correctly, the definition of fair market value is "the price
which would be paid by a willing buyer to a willing seller."  This is
the value which an appraiser attempts to estimate, using various
generally accepted techniques.  If such a sale has *actually occurred* a
very short time ago, the sale price is absolutely the best indication of
what the true market value is.