[net.consumers] Infra-red detectors

ccs@aluxe.UUCP (shiflett c c) (01/13/86)

Subject: Re: Infra-red /microwave detectors; for use as exterior people detectors
Newsgroups: net.consumers

> I was wondering is anyone had the inside track on infrared detectors
> or microwave detectors (e.g., those little units at supermarkets that
> open doors).  I would like to hook one up on the outside of my house.
> I figure this would greatly discourage vandalism and petty theft

I am in the process of getting information on infrared detectors
for use outside.  I do not have one yet and thus can not tell you
how well they work.
     Colorado Electro-otics, Boulder, Colorado is one manufacturer
of this type of equipment. (800-525-2833)  They only sell wholesale.
Philadelphia Protection Products, 1239 Vine St. in Philadelphia
(215-567-5092) is a distributor.  Prices are about $100 to $150 for
a model with no floodlight to one with two integral floodlights.
They cover an angle of 70 degrees, and have a range of 40 to 55 feet.
I don't know what the sensitivity is, but there is a sensitivity
adjustment on the unit.
     These units are passive, IR detectors.
They require both heat and motion to activate them, so supposedly
an object like aluminum siding warmed by the sun will not activate
them.  They require 110 V. input.  I want to install these units
under the eves of a two story house, and am trying to figure out
a way to conveniently turn the unit off so that it does not come
on everytime I walk in the back yard at night. I don't want to fish a lot
of wire through the insulated walls of the house.
     I am interested in any hands-on experience that anyone has
with this type of detector.

				Curt Shiflett
				8-235-7196