[net.consumers] Pocket TV

sja@mhuxl.UUCP (Sam J. Anastasio) (01/08/86)

Does anyone out there in net.land have any hands-on knowledge and/or
experience with the new pocketable TV's.
Casio and Seko each have 2 or more models of color and b/w.
I am curious about pro and con commentary and mostly about picture
quality of the color versions.

Thanks for any and all info,

Sam Anastasio           mhuxl!sja        AT&T Bell Labs  Reading, Pa

mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) (01/14/86)

In article <440@mhuxl.UUCP> sja@mhuxl.UUCP (Sam J. Anastasio) writes:
> Does anyone out there in net.land have any hands-on knowledge and/or
> experience with the new pocketable TV's.
> Casio and Seko each have 2 or more models of color and b/w.
> I am curious about pro and con commentary and mostly about picture
> quality of the color versions.

I have an Epson Elf that I bought in Japan, though I understand that
they are now available in the US. It has a 2" liquid crystal color
screen.

The picture quality is reasonable, but not as good as a CRT-type.
I enjoy the light weight and flat proportions of the LCD display.
It comes with a back light source as well as a reflector.  It takes
5 AA cell batteries; you can use normal batteries, a special
rechargeable pack, or the AC adaptor.  It even has direct audio and video
inputs (for use with VCR) which are mini-jacks, but no external
antenna output. The tuning is radio-like with no detents for numbered
channels. There's a whip antenna and removable screen magnifying lens.

The screen is basically only watchable by one person at a time; the
picture degrades at an angle. It is usable in both bright sunlight and
dim room lighting.

I wouldn't count on it as a primary TV but it is fun to carry around.
The batteries are supposed to last 2 hours -- I don't know if that is
with the back light on or off.

Michael C. Berch
ARPA: mcb@lll-tis-b.ARPA
UUCP: {akgua,allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,dual,ihnp4,sun}!idi!styx!mcb