[net.consumers] The return of the 200+ VISA cards

olaf@ihwpt.UUCP (olaf henjum) (01/21/86)

> From uw-beaver!ssc-vax!thill@ssc-bee  Sat Jan 18 04:35:04 1986
>
> If your friend really is only 16 then even a half-baked lawyer should
> be able to get him off since he is still a minor.

From olaf Mon Jan 20 08:11 CST 1986
To: ihnp4!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!thill@ssc-bee
Subject: Re: Re: "No Money Down" (Other People's Money) Scam
Cc: olaf

This is true.  The guy in question is more a "friend of a friend" than a
personal friend of mine, and in fact your point is correct; the LEGAL
problems involved would be relatively minor (pun intended).

However, this character still thinks he can make a go of his ersatz
"no money down" plan and is now 19.  My real motive for concealing his
name was to "protect the guilty" from embarassment -- if this weird plan
ends up totally backfiring (which I think is likely but I'm hardly in a
position to be loudly and frequently persuasive about it; I PERSONALLY don't
even know the guy's phone number).

Besides, if he's strung it out this long it MIGHT have worked.  I will have to
call my friend and ask him how his friend's "deal" finally worked out - - and
maybe post a follow-up message to the bboard.  My only point in bringing up
the subject in the first place was to point out that the "200 VISA card" plan
can actually be tried if one has a grain of ingenuity about the matter;
whether it actually WORKS is another question entirely.

I'm also posting a copy of your note and this reply to the bboard, so please
don't do it for me.

   -- Olaf Henjum (ihesa!olaf)