[net.consumers] Warning : store warranty trick

rjn@hpfcla.UUCP (01/18/86)

re:  Are you going to give me all your money, or just half of it?

I just purchased a generic electronic device (GED) at a local discount
outlet (LDO) here in Fort Collins.  I encountered a sales ploy I thought I
would share with you.  When the salesperson was making out the invoice, she
asked:

       "Do you want the three year or the five year warranty?"

Now, GEDs usually have a 90-day or 1-year warranty, so I asked "What's the
difference?".  She (and an accomplice) used that as the cue to launch into a
canned pitch about the LDO's wonderful warranties, and how much better they
are than the manufacturer's (MFR).  This heightened my suspicion that
NEITHER or these warranties was the MFR's.  And, after interrupting their
speeches, it turned out that BOTH of them COST EXTRA over the price of the
GED.  The (no extra charge) MFR warranty in this case was, as I suspected,
the 90-day/1-year type.

The GED I bought sold for $129.00 plus state & local tribute.  The 3-year
LDO warranty would have cost me an extra $30, and the 5-year an extra $60.
So, I said "I'll stick with the MFR's warranty, thanks.", to which she
responded "Why would you want to do that?", in a tone of voice that implied
that I was just about to take out a mortgage on the Brooklyn Bridge.  I was
also asked to sign a place on the invoice that indicated that I accepted and
understood the limitations of the Magnusen-Somebody-or-other Warranty Act of
19xx.

As I was about to leave, I queried "I suppose if this GED is D.O.A., I can't
bring it back here."  "Oh, no."  she replied cheerily, "We'll exchange it if
you bring it back within seven days."

My overwhelming impressions:

* They hope that you will assume that the choice is between an extra cost (5
  year) and a no-extra-cost (3 year) warranty, and opt for the three year.

* They hope that you won't notice the surcharge for the 3-year, or that if
  you do, you will feel so gulible or timid that you won't complain.

* If neither of the above works, they'll hit you with a high-pressure sales
  pitch anyway.

* I did not investigate the terms of the warranty.  I suspect the following:

  - The LDO's warranty is not a good financial deal.  The same $60 invested
    in a CD or the money market could REPLACE (not just repair) the GED in
    five years.

  - The clerks get a commission on the sale of the LDO's warranty.  It
    wouldn't surprise me if this were a big chunk of their pay.

  - The LDO is hoping to never deliver on the warranty.  They expect you to
    forget that you bought it after about 18 months.  After all, the MFR's
    warranty statement won't give you a clue that you've got extra coverage.
    And, if you're like me, the invoice (containing the LDO warranty info)
    and the owner's manual are soon parted, because the invoice is needed
    for tax purposes.

  - The LDO may not be around in three years, much less five.  This one, in
    fact, was a completely different chain a few months ago.

I have not revealed the name of this store for two reasons:

* Other chains may be running the same number.  You should beware of the
  scam, not the store.  This LDO sells many quality brands at steep
  discounts.  Of course, if all their customers see through this ploy, they
  may have to raise prices.

* Much of what I've said here is pure speculation.  If I named names, it
  would probably be considered libelous and actionable by a predatory
  lawyer.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                            3404 East Harmony Road
[ihnp4|hplabs]!hpfcla!rjn                             Fort Collins CO  80525

This response does not represent the official position of the
Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is provided for informational
purposes only.

early@tonto.DEC (the higher we climb, the better the view) (01/22/86)

Subject: Warning: store warranty trick

>I just purchased a generic electronic device (GED) at a local discount
>outlet (LDO) here in Fort Collins.  I encountered a sales ploy I thought I
>"Do you want the three year or the five year warranty?"

 I ran  into  this  with another *leading* US/Canadian chain/mail
order store of  *high*  repute.    When  the  salesperson started
asking  questions  about  which  warranty  I  wanted,  I  started
questioning the integrity of the  product  (which  I  believe  is
first choice quality), and my wisdom in purchasing something that
*needs*  a  warranty at extra cost!   It  was  fun  watching  the
salesMAN explain why a product of high quality needs a warranty!

>difference?".  She (and an accomplice) used that as the cue to launch into a
>canned pitch about the LDO's wonderful warranties, and how much better they

The bad thing about *secondary* warranties, is that  (I  think  I
recall),  is  that  their  maximum  liability  is to refund  your
warranty premium (or even a prorated portion thereof).

>speeches, it turned out that BOTH of them COST EXTRA over the price of the
>GED.  The (no extra charge) MFR warranty in this case was, as I suspected,
>the 90-day/1-year type.

There are two LDO type stores I have shopped at:  One, whose name
I also won't mention, sells the goods at a discount to  you,  but
refuses to honor any portion of the Mfr. Warranty, and recommends
bringing it to a FULL SERVICE dealer (who is, in some states, not
required to provide  immediate  service  on products they did NOT
sell !) Another option  is  to  Mail  it  to  one  of  the remote
servicenters (right !  Mail in a microwave).

The second store I dealt  with, Marshalls, in Manchester, NH. The
lens in my minolta came loose  after  a  couple  of  years, and I
brought it back to them because they  are as a dropship point for
Minolta repairs.  The salesLADY there informed me that the camera
was probably under warranty, and the repair would be  free.   Oh,
yes, I could bring the receipt back when I picked  UP the camera,
so as not to have any unnecessary delays, and they were  sorry it
came loose !  (Guess where I do a lot of shopping !)

>  Much of what I've said here is pure speculation.  If I named names, it
>  would probably be considered libelous and actionable by a predatory
>  lawyer.

Shame on you.  I know several lawyers, and they cannot sue unless
hired by someone to do so !  (But I know where you're coming from
!) :^)

					bob early
(Dec E-Net)	TONTO::EARLY)
(UUCP)		decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!tonto!early