[net.consumers] New York City Camera Stores

jbs@hropus.UUCP (J. B. Skiendziel) (01/13/86)

I am looking to purchase some photographic equipment. Does anyone
have any recommendations on the New York City Camera Stores. (Like
the ones listed in the back of most Photography magazines. If you
have dealt with one I would appreciate it if you let me know what
you thought of them. I don't know if I'll buy it via mail order or
take a trip to the city, I'm open to suggestions.

	Thanks,
		J. B. Skiendziel
EMAIL ADDRESS:  -/ihnp4/houxm!hropus!jbs

stu16@whuxl.UUCP (SMITH) (01/14/86)

> I am looking to purchase some photographic equipment. Does anyone
> have any recommendations on the New York City Camera Stores. (Like

       Try the N.Y. Camera Exchange, somwhere in the 40s, I
think. I wonder if Willoby's(sp) and/or Peerless are still
around?
--
whuxl!stu16

peter@uwmacc.UUCP (Peter Kaufman) (01/15/86)

> I am looking to purchase some photographic equipment. Does anyone
> have any recommendations on the New York City Camera Stores.
> 		J. B. Skiendziel
> EMAIL ADDRESS:  -/ihnp4/houxm!hropus!jbs

	Try any of the stores listed in the back pages of Modern Photography.
The latter magazine has a "guarantee" which you should read first, but I have
had success with both Smile Photo, and Adoramma.  These were both mail orders.
Adoramma bent over backwords to help me when I last dealt with them.

			  Peter
			- peter ({allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!peter)

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (01/16/86)

[]
A few years ago, in fact until a few months ago I would have
recommended Cambridge camera.  However, based on my recent
horrible experience with them I would suggest everyone stay far, far
away from those nice folks.  They recently took $150 of my money for
three months and only returned it when I wrote them a letter threatening
action with both the BBB and, probably more important to them, Modern
Photography whose many regulations they flagrantly violated in my
case. Things happened like...after about a month they tried very hard
to persuade me that I had ordered from another camera store (!). I
had the Visa Bill to prove it was from them. I still don't have the
merchandise I ordered even though they continued to advertise it for
at least a month after my order. Try someone else...anyone else.

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (01/16/86)

I second Dick Grantges' comments about Cambridge Camera.  I was
once in their store, waiting to buy something, when I overheard a
dispute between another customer and a salesman.  The customer had
wanted to buy something, had called to verify that it was in stock,
and then had traveled two hours to get to the store only to find that
the item was not in stock and had actually not been in stock when he
called.  They offered him the choice of coming back some other time,
presumably with no reason to believe that he would fare any better,
or of buying the item and paying for them to ship it to him when it
arrived.  He said he was willing to do the latter, provided they
would pay for the shipping -- he had wasted two hours because of their
mistake and he was going to have to waste two more, and he had no
intention of paying for it -- but they refused.  He left, disgusted.

I quietly left the store shortly thereafter, with no intention of
ever coming back.

silber@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Jeffrey Silber) (01/18/86)

In my photo years (which were almost 10 years ago), I found that the most
honest store was Hirsch Photo.  The best prices were at Camera Barn.  The
most disreputable and likely to sell you gray-market items, 47th Street Photo.
Now these are just my opinions, but in recent years the experience of some
of my family members has proven this to be true.

A million here, a million there ... they all add up.

Jeffrey Silber                   silber@devvax.tn.cornell.edu
Business Manager                 JAS@CORNELLD
Theory Center                    265 Olin Hall
Cornell University               Ithaca, NY  14853

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (01/20/86)

> In my photo years (which were almost 10 years ago), I found that the most
> honest store was Hirsch Photo.  The best prices were at Camera Barn.  The
> most disreputable and likely to sell you gray-market items, 47th Street Photo.
> Now these are just my opinions, but in recent years the experience of some
> of my family members has proven this to be true.

I don't know what your problem is with 47th Street Photo.  They are indeed
likely to sell grey-market items.  They make no bones about that, and
claim to back these items up with their own warranty.  As far as I can
tell, though, they do indeed deliver what they promise.  In what way
is this disreputable?

(I like Camera Barn too.)

smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) (01/21/86)

> > I found that the most honest store was Hirsch Photo.  The best prices were
> > at Camera Barn.  The most disreputable and likely to sell you gray-market
> > items, 47th Street Photo.
>
> I don't know what your problem is with 47th Street Photo.

I have been lied to by 47th Street, saying things were in stock or had been
shipped when they hadn't.  I have had cancelled orders shipped and then they
wonder why I treat it as unsolicited merchandise.  Fortunately, my local
bank has easily gotten my account credited when neither time nor patience
would get 47th Street to do a d**n thing except plead ignorance, which
I in all honesty believe is true.  Most crooks are not that stupid.

mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (01/22/86)

>> > I found that the most honest store was Hirsch Photo.  The best prices were
>> > at Camera Barn.  The most disreputable and likely to sell you gray-market
>> > items, 47th Street Photo.
>>
>> I don't know what your problem is with 47th Street Photo.
>
>I have been lied to by 47th Street, saying things were in stock or had been
>shipped when they hadn't.  I have had cancelled orders shipped and then they
>wonder why I treat it as unsolicited merchandise.  Fortunately, my local
>bank has easily gotten my account credited when neither time nor patience
>would get 47th Street to do a d**n thing except plead ignorance, which
>I in all honesty believe is true.  Most crooks are not that stupid.

I too had similar problems with 47th Street. Unfortunately, I didn't use a
credit card and ended up getting beat for about $100.

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (01/24/86)

> I too had similar problems with 47th Street. Unfortunately, I didn't use a
> credit card and ended up getting beat for about $100.

I've found this discussion interesting, since 47th Street Photo is my
favorite mail-order photo store -- I order a very large amount of
equipment and supplies from them.  I like them because they are
reasonable, efficient, and don't retroactively bill me for "additional
shipping" the way some of the others always do (e.g., B&H, just yesterday,
sent me a roll of VPS404 film, 12 sheets of (thin) mounting board, and
billed me an additional $2.00 (in addition to the $5.50 I already sent)
for shipping.)  For $5.50 FSSP has always shipped similar items without an
additional charge.

I tend to feel that people who have complaints about mail order companies
of this sort often have unrealistic expectations of mail order companies.
If you order by mail, you should order something that's advertised in the
catalog, expect it in 30 days (as provided by law) unless they say it will
take longer, and not expect to be able to have the amenities of arguing
with the dealer over price, delivery dates, etc. that you have from a
local store.  You should also know what it is that you're ordering before
you order it, to avoid disappointments if the (usually brief) descriptions
in the catalog suggest to you something that the item doesn't turn out to
be.  You should also be careful to document everything in case of
disputes.

You can't expect the impossible, like deciding 30 days is too long,
cancelling the order, and then refusing to pay for it because it had already
been shipped when you cancelled the order; nor expecting complicated order
changes after you've placed the order.  These are the things you pay extra
for from a local dealer.

If the company acts in a fraudulent manner, New York has a very effective
District Attorney's office to get the problem straightened out, equipped
with fill-in-the-blank (by the D.A.'s office) forms which they send to the
company saying "deliver the merchandise in ______ days and notify us that
you have done so, or send the customer a refund." I know firsthand that
this works even with companies who end up on 60 Minutes for mail fraud.
(However, if you do enough buying by mail, trying numerous companies, it
is inevitable that you may eventually encounter a dishonest one, and thus
should use caution with new ones.)

Regarding the use of credit cards... I would be more wary of using a credit
card, since it provides a greater opportunity for someone to obtain and
use your credit card number illegally.  On the other hand, with a money
order the *most* you can lose is the amount of the money order (as compared
to a check, where the check could be altered).  While you have the right
to dispute the amount on the credit card bill, the total amount involved may
be much larger than what you originally paid (especially since many companies
reserve the right to add additional charges after shipping the item to cover
"additional postage and handling charges").
--
UUCP: Ofc:  jer@peora.UUCP  Home: jer@jerpc.CCC.UUCP  CCC DNS: peora, pesnta
  US Mail:  MS 795; CONCURRENT Computer Corp. SDC; (A Perkin-Elmer Company)

	"A people without history is not redeemed from time,
	 For history is a pattern of timeless moments." --TSE

smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) (01/25/86)

> I tend to feel that people who have complaints about mail order companies
> of this sort often have unrealistic expectations of mail order companies.
>
> You can't expect the impossible, like deciding 30 days is too long,
> cancelling the order, and then refusing to pay for it because it had already
> been shipped when you cancelled the order.

47th Street shipped an order 2 months after they agreed to cancel it.  They
also agreed to repay me for my time and expenses to return this unsolicited
merchandise.  Needless to say that after waiting 2 months for "in stock"
items and another 2 months after cancelling, I had made other arrangements.
No ammount of savings is worth dealing with liars and cheats.

todd@ur-helheim.UUCP (Sempei Todd A. Jackson) (01/26/86)

In article <490@mhuxl.UUCP> smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) writes:
>> > I found that the most honest store was Hirsch Photo.  The best prices were
>> > at Camera Barn.  The most disreputable and likely to sell you gray-market
>> > items, 47th Street Photo.
>>
>> I don't know what your problem is with 47th Street Photo.
>
>I have been lied to by 47th Street, saying things were in stock or had been
>shipped when they hadn't.  I have had cancelled orders shipped and then they

I also have been out and out lied to by 47th Street.  They told me
that two lenses were in stock for my camera (the salesman actually
checked, i.e. he left the phone for a while), I placed my order
expecting to receive them within days, and received one lens two weeks
later with a note that the other was back ordered.  I called them
about the lens and was told that they had never carried that
particular lens and could not back order it as it was not made in the
mount I required.  Totally pissed off by this time I asked for a
refund which they gave me (to my VISA account) but they failed to refund
the 8.25% sales tax to me.  One more long distance call fixed that problem
but my anger was unabated so I sent their general manager a
note saying that I'd do my best to prevent everybody I knew from ordering
from them.  If any note of apology had then appeared my feelings would
have perhaps been soothed but no such thing happened.  I believe they
are not crooks but they are surely criminally incompetent.

Todd

     "I'm so miserable without you, it's like having you around."

           {seismo,allegra,decvax}!rochester!ur-valhalla!todd