[net.consumers] Multispeed cassette players

fsks@unc.UUCP (01/24/86)

I sometimes listen to lectures on cassette tape.  But, when the speaker
goes too slowly, I get impatient.  Othertimes the speaker goes too fast.
What would be ideal is a cassette player that could play it at multiple
speeds, but WITHOUT CHANGING THE PITCH!  Are machines available that
can play a tape quickly without the chipmunk effect, or slow down
slightly without becoming contra-bass?  How much would such a machine
cost?  Which ones are best?

	Frank Silbermann

burke@ittral.UUCP (Michael G. Burke) (01/28/86)

  I know Radio Shack used to carry such a machine a while back.
It had separate speed and pitch controls, and I seem to remember
being able to get about a 2x speed maximum.

 Good luck,  M Burke

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (01/28/86)

In article <884@unc.unc.UUCP> fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) writes:

>What would be ideal is a cassette player that could play it at multiple
>speeds, but WITHOUT CHANGING THE PITCH!  Are machines available that
>can play a tape quickly without the chipmunk effect, or slow down
>slightly without becoming contra-bass?  How much would such a machine
>cost?  Which ones are best?

Radio Shack has one, the VSC-1000 (stock# 14-1002) for $99.95. If
will play up to twice the speed, with no chipmunking, but the ad doesn't
say whether it will play slower than normal.

I don't know how good it is, just that it is available. I'm sure it
carries the same high quality standards as everything else Radio Shaft
puts out. :-)

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)