[net.consumers] Gasoline card fraud

<Oh oh here it comes.  Watch out boy, it'll chew you up! \
Oh oh here it comes.  The LINE EATER!  [Line eater]>

In article <11638@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, cc-06@cory.BERKELEY.EDU (Ilya Goldberg) writes:
>	I don't think that having your gas credit card number exposed is
>so terrible - who ever heard of gasoline credit card fraud.  Gasoline credit
>cards are limited to few types of goods and services and usually have a low
>credit limit, therefore discouraging fraud.
>
>					Ilya Goldberg	(...!ucbvax!ilya)

I HAVE heard of one kind of gas card fraud--that of the station itself stick-
ing a piece of paper underneath the carbons where the amount of the charge
is printed.  Then later a larger amount is filled in there.  For that reason
(and also when using regular credit cards) I always look at all the copies
before I will sign the slip.  Of course, since you keep the original, you
can prove fraud if this actually happens (but maybe the dishonest dealer is
planning to flee right after being reimbursed by the credit company, and at
any rate it can foul up a credit limit something awful).
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
						vax135}!ttrdc!levy