[net.consumers] Skunk oil

fsks@unc.UUCP (01/24/86)

Recently I heard about for an anti-rape device consisting
of a breakable vial of skunk oil.  The idea is this:

When rape is imminant, break the vial.  Supposedly this has the
effect of six skunks releasing their scent simultaneously.
The attacker would be instantly repelled.  The odor would stay
with the attacker for several days, making it easier for police
identification.  It also would affect the victim, but this is
better than being raped.

This sounds like a good idea because:
	A)  The defense is passive.  A victim who didn't have the guts
		to gouge out an attacker's eyes might yet be able to
		crush a little bottle, knowing that she causes no permanent
		injury to either party.

	B)  The attacker cannot use it against the victim.

Does anybody have any hard information about the actual effectiveness?
I'm not about to break one open to see for myself if it works, but I'd
hate for a loved one to need it, only to find out it's really filled
with Kool-Aid.  Does anyone know of a reliable seller?

	Frank Silbermann

kolling@decwrl.DEC.COM (Karen Kolling) (01/24/86)

> Recently I heard about for an anti-rape device consisting
> of a breakable vial of skunk oil.  The idea is this:....
> The odor would stay with the attacker for several days, making it
> easier for police identification....

I am under the impression that tomato juice neutralizes skunk odor, so
it's not clear how useful this would be for identification purposes.  A
few years ago in Oakland there was a serial rapist ("Stinky"?) who
according to the news media was reported to have a really noticable foul
smell, and I don't recall that he was ever identified.  A false sense
of security is dangerous.

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (01/25/86)

> > Recently I heard about for an anti-rape device consisting
> > of a breakable vial of skunk oil.  The idea is this:....
> > The odor would stay with the attacker for several days, making it
> > easier for police identification....
>
> I am under the impression that tomato juice neutralizes skunk odor, so
> it's not clear how useful this would be for identification purposes.  A
> few years ago in Oakland there was a serial rapist ("Stinky"?) who
> according to the news media was reported to have a really noticable foul
> smell, and I don't recall that he was ever identified.  A false sense
> of security is dangerous.

It was Berkeley, and one of the main reasons that Stinky was never caught
was that the Berkeley city council was a band of jackasses.  Here was a
rapist who could best be identified through smell, but the city council
wouldn't let the police department use dogs to track him down.  It seems
that the use of dogs reminded them too much of Selma, Alabama.  Never mind
that the dogs would be used to track down a smelly rapist instead of maul
protestors; it's appearances that count.  This same city council also
wouldn't let the police go from door to door to educate the public about
Stinky in the neighborhoods where he operated; this would somehow lead to
Berkeley becoming a "police state".

As for skunk oil, I know from experience that tomato juice doesn't remove
the odor very well.  Baking powder works better, but the odor still stays
around for days.  And no, it wasn't me who got skunked, it was my dog.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

ix21@sdcc6.UUCP (David Whiteman) (01/26/86)

anti-rape weapon.  Yes skunk oil is available, and it is effective.
It does have the problem that if the would be rapist is on some
kinds of drugs, his sense of smell is wiped out.  So the skunk oil
is not effective.  Also the company also manufactures a skunk oil
scent removal kit (e.g. tomato juice) so the victim does not have to
smell for 4-5 days.  Presumably the attacker can use tomato juice
too, so the smell will not identify to the police.

--
----
David Whiteman,

carlc@tektronix.UUCP (Carl Clawson) (01/28/86)

In article <845@rtech.UUCP> jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) writes:

>> A few years ago in Oakland there was a serial rapist ("Stinky"?) who
>> according to the news media was reported to have a really noticable [sic]
>> foul smell, and I don't recall that he was ever identified.
>
>It was Berkeley, and one of the main reasons that Stinky was never caught
>was that the Berkeley city council was a band of jackasses.

Stinky _was_ caught!  They didn't have enough evidence to prosecute,
but the individual responsible was identified and the attacks stopped.  It's
hard to prosecute someone based on smell, as well it should be.
--
Carl Clawson
Solid State Research Lab / Tek Labs

freed@aum.UUCP (Erik Freed) (01/29/86)

> anti-rape weapon.  Yes skunk oil is available, and it is effective.
> It does have the problem that if the would be rapist is on some
> kinds of drugs, his sense of smell is wiped out.  So the skunk oil
> is not effective.  Also the company also manufactures a skunk oil
> scent removal kit (e.g. tomato juice) so the victim does not have to
> smell for 4-5 days.  Presumably the attacker can use tomato juice
> too, so the smell will not identify to the police.

From my memories of tales of people being skunked, it seems that there
are two things that should be added to this discussion. First is that
the smell up close to the victim is not just bad, it is overpoweringly
bad, I believe that except for maybe pcp or total derangement (I certainly
admit these as a possibility) The smell would probably leave both of
you retching. The other point is that while the smell can be abated
by tomato juice it still is going to be noticeable for quite a while.
Certainly long enough for the police to identify the person if they
are stopping him due to a appearance identification. Also it is probably
good evidence in court if other people can testify that they smelled it
at any time around him... I like the idea if the vial is really easy to
use and somehow the victim does have the wherewithall to use it. Maybe
a combination of mace and skunk oil?

                           Erik James Freed
			   Aurora Systems
			   San Francisco, CA
			   {dual,ptsfa}!aum!freed

mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) (01/31/86)

In article <6370@tektronix.UUCP> carlc@tektronix.UUCP (Carl Clawson) writes:
> In article <845@rtech.UUCP> jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) writes:
> >>
> >> A few years ago in Oakland there was a serial rapist ("Stinky"?) who
> >> according to the news media was reported to have a really noticable [sic]
> >> foul smell, and I don't recall that he was ever identified.
> >
> >It was Berkeley, and one of the main reasons that Stinky was never caught
> >was that the Berkeley city council was a band of jackasses.
>
> Stinky _was_ caught!  They didn't have enough evidence to prosecute,
> but the individual responsible was identified and the attacks stopped.  It's
> hard to prosecute someone based on smell, as well it should be.

Someone from Berkeley can provide the full details here, but my memory
of the ultimate outcome was that a robbery suspect in Oakland was shot
& killed by police or a fellow robber, and was believed (to the
satisfaction of the Berkeley police) to be Stinky. The attacks then
stopped.

Michael C. Berch
ARPA: mcb@lll-tis-b.ARPA
UUCP: {akgua,allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,dual,ihnp4,sun}!idi!styx!mcb

hedden@atux01.UUCP (D. Hedden) (02/04/86)

In article <698@decwrl.DEC.COM>, kolling@decwrl.DEC.COM (Karen Kolling) writes:

> > Recently I heard about for an anti-rape device consisting
> > of a breakable vial of skunk oil.  The idea is this:....
> > The odor would stay with the attacker for several days, making it
> > easier for police identification....
>
> ... impression that tomato juice neutralizes skunk odor, so
> it's not clear how useful this would be for identification purposes.
> ...  A false sense of security is dangerous.
Having used several quarts of tomato juice to deodorize my dog,
I can tell you that it will not remove the odor completely, but
it does tone it down considerably. It probably would be much more
effective on humans.

I think the idea may be more deterrance than identification. Skunk
odor would certainly deter me!! However, I agree that a false
sense of security is your worst enemy.

   "The moving hand writes ..."