[net.consumers] Kodak Offer on their Instant Cameras

ijk@hropus.UUCP (Ihor J. Kinal) (02/11/86)

I called up Kodak at their toll - free number, and they promised to
send me a mailer.  It's been several weeks, and I still haven't gotten it.
I'm wondering if anyone on the net has had the same/ different experience?

Thanx.
Ihor Kinal
ihnp4!houxm!hropus!ijk

daw1@mhuxl.UUCP (Douglas A. Williams) (02/12/86)

> I called up Kodak at their toll - free number, and they promised to
> send me a mailer.  It's been several weeks, and I still haven't gotten it.
> I'm wondering if anyone on the net has had the same/ different experience?

	One of the options was to give you one share of Kodak common stock
for your camera. However the Securities and Exchange Comm. has stuck their
ugly face in the matter resulting in a delay in the mailings.

	I think Kodak got screwed on the whole deal. I've used a lot of
Polaroid film in work, but think the looks of the Kodak Trimprint is nicer
than any other instant film. At least Kodak *improved* the stuff even if
they allegedly stole the basic idea!

                1
              1   1
	    1   2   1			Doug Williams
	  1   3   3   1			AT&T Bell Labs
	1   4   6   4   1 		Reading, PA
      1   5   10  10   5   1		mhuxl!daw1
    1   6  15   20   15  6   1

"With regard to errors in general, either falling under the denomination
of mental, typographical, or accidental, we are conscious of being able
to point out a greater number than any critic whatever."

grampa@gitpyr.UUCP (02/12/86)

In article <265@hropus.UUCP> ijk@hropus.UUCP (Ihor J. Kinal) writes:
>I called up Kodak at their toll - free number, and they promised to
>send me a mailer.  It's been several weeks, and I still haven't gotten it.
>I'm wondering if anyone on the net has had the same/ different experience?
>
>Thanx.
>Ihor Kinal
>ihnp4!houxm!hropus!ijk

What's the number and what's the deal?  I've got one of the buggers, given to
me as a Christmas present, and don't know what to do with it?
                                                    Happy Trails,
                                                               Mark

--
"Never try to teach a pig to sing.  It's a waste of time and annoys the pig."

Mark W Fouraker
Budget Office - 209 Knowles Building
Office phone: (404) 894-5558
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!grampa

steve@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Steven Holtsberg) (02/14/86)

In article <265@hropus.UUCP> ijk@hropus.UUCP (Ihor J. Kinal) writes:
>I called up Kodak at their toll - free number, and they promised to
>send me a mailer.  It's been several weeks, and I still haven't gotten it.
>I'm wondering if anyone on the net has had the same/ different experience?
>
>Thanx.
>Ihor Kinal
>ihnp4!houxm!hropus!ijk

YES, same experience.

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (02/14/86)

> I called up Kodak at their toll - free number, and they promised to
> send me a mailer.  It's been several weeks, and I still haven't gotten it.
> I'm wondering if anyone on the net has had the same/ different experience?

   They have hired a company to handle the recall. Apparently, the
Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) has raised some questions about
one of the options involved in returning the cameras (the stock share
option) and the company hired by Kodak (the name escapes me right now)
says they will not send the mailers out until this issue is resolved.
Hence the delay.

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | decvax!noao | mcvax!seismo | ihnp4!seismo}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@ncar.csnet  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

"If the game is lost, we're all the same;
No one left to place or take the blame"

grampa@gitpyr.UUCP (02/14/86)

In article <1955@hao.UUCP> woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
>> I called up Kodak at their toll - free number, and they promised to
>> send me a mailer.  It's been several weeks, and I still haven't gotten it.
>> I'm wondering if anyone on the net has had the same/ different experience?

Could someone please post or e-mail me info about all this.  I have one of the
wretched things and if I can rid myself of it, I'd like to.
                                                      Happy Trails,
                                                                 Mark

--

dob@ihmax.UUCP (dan o'brien) (02/15/86)

> I called up Kodak at their toll - free number, and they promised to
> send me a mailer.  It's been several weeks, and I still haven't gotten it.
> I'm wondering if anyone on the net has had the same/ different experience?

I call their hot line (1-800-792-3000, if I remembered right) about 4 weeks
ago.  I finally heard from them today; I received a post card with the
following return address:

	Kodak Instant Camera Exchange
	P.O. Box 1001
	Ridgely, Maryland  21688

The complete text of the post card is below:

>Dear KODAK Instant Camera User:
>
>Thank you for calling the Kodak Instant Camera Exchange.  Due to the sheer
>volume of calls, it may take four weeks from the date you recieve this card
>before you receive your postage-paid, preaddressed shipping envelope with
>the details of the exchange offer.
>
>We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the Federal Court's injunction
>stopping us from producing instant photographic products.  While the
>injunction does not require us to do so, we felt it only fair to provide
>something for consumers who purchased Kodak instant cameras for personal
>use.
>
>No hurry -- you have until December 31, 1986 to take advantage of our
>voluntary exchange program, and every qualified camera user will receive
>the selection of his or her choice.
>
>All of the necessary materials will be mailed to you.
>
>The name Kodak has always stood for quality products and quality customer
>service.  We are determined to continue that tradition.
>
>		Eastman Kodak Company

Sorry for typos.  Hope this helps.

--

			Daniel M. O'Brien (ihnp4!ihmax!dob)
			AT&T Bell Laboratories

grampa@gitpyr.UUCP (02/17/86)

Thanks to all that e-mailed me the number.  I was asked to post the time period
that they SAID it would take for me to get my mailer.  She SAID 4-6 weeks.  From
some of your postings, I gather that it has taken longer than that.  I guess
I'll be looking for mine in early April.
                                     Happy Trails,
                                               Mark

--

ins_anmy@jhunix.UUCP (Norman M Yarvin) (02/18/86)

> In article <265@hropus.UUCP> ijk@hropus.UUCP (Ihor J. Kinal) writes:
> >I called up Kodak at their toll - free number, and they promised to
> >send me a mailer.  It's been several weeks, and I still haven't gotten it.
> >I'm wondering if anyone on the net has had the same/ different experience?
> >
> >Thanx.
> >Ihor Kinal
> >ihnp4!houxm!hropus!ijk
>
> YES, same experience.

Polaroid recently won a suit against Kodak about infringement of patent
rights pertaining to the design of some vital parts of instant cameras
or film.  As a result Kodak will no longer manufacture film for its line
of instant cameras, so everybody who owns a Kodak instant camera will now
be stranded.  This is probably why your mailers have not come.
--
		Norman Yarvin
UUCP:	 seismo!umcp-cs \

mazlack@ernie.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (02/19/86)

>>I called up Kodak at their toll - free number, and they promised to
>>send me a mailer.  It's been several weeks, and I still haven't gotten it.
>>I'm wondering if anyone on the net has had the same/ different experience?
>>
>What's the number and what's the deal?  I've got one of the buggers, given to
>me as a Christmas present, and don't know what to do with it?

According to the Wall Street Journal, some federal agency that I forget (FTC?)
has told Kodak to suspend the offer because said agency thinks that it is
inadequate.
   ...Larry Mazlack

silber@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Jeffrey Silber) (02/20/86)

While not the reason for the delay for receiving the mailers, it is interesting
to note that Kodak has been served with an injunction preventing them from
issuing any refunds.  Some individuals apparently sued because they felt that
the refund terms were insufficient.

A million here, a million there ... they all add up.

Jeffrey A. Silber              silber@devvax.tn.cornell.edu
Business Manager               JAS@CORNELLD
Center for Theory & Simulation {decvax,ihnp4,cmcl2,vax135}!cornell!devvax!silber
   in Science & Engineering    265 Olin Hall
Cornell University             Ithaca, NY  14853

mpinkett@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mike Pinkett) (02/20/86)

My wife has a Kodak instant camera, and called the toll free number several
weeks ago.  On 2/18/86, she got a postcard saying that the packet for
returning the camera would be available in approximately 4 weeks.  It
also said that you would have until Dec. 31 to get the refund.
--
					     Michael Pinkett
					     mpinkett@sdcrdcf.UUCP