[net.consumers] Restaurants Using Non-Dairy Creamer

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (02/10/86)

> Actually, there's a fairly easy and very graphic way to convince
> most people that garbage isn't edible -- burn it.  Yes, it's
> flameable.  So if the waiter gives you any flack for wanting real
> milk, simply ask for a match.  Open the chemical container.  Light
> the match.  Pour the powder over the match and watch the
> beautiful puff of flame!

First, I think the discussion is about liquid creamer, which I doubt burns
very well. Second, what does flammability have to do with edibility? The
only reason that most food doesn't burn is that it contains enough water
to dampen the reaction. Spontaneous combustion is a problem with dry grain.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"Hideously disfigured by Indian curse? We can help! Call (511) 338-0959
 for an appointment."

ofut@gitpyr.UUCP (Jeff Offutt) (02/13/86)

In article <44000036@uiucdcs> mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

>> most people that garbage isn't edible -- burn it.  Yes, it's
>
>very well. Second, what does flammability have to do with edibility?
>The only reason that most food doesn't burn is that it contains enough
>water to dampen the reaction. Spontaneous combustion is a problem with
>dry grain.

You're right, but I think you miss the point.  You know that.  I know
that.  But How many restaurant workers know it?  Probably not very
many.  Most people don't have a natural association of things that burn
with things we eat.
--
Jeff Offutt
School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta Georgia, 30332

smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) (02/15/86)

> >The only reason that most food doesn't burn is that it contains enough
> >water to dampen the reaction. Spontaneous combustion is a problem with
> >dry grain.
> You're right, but I think you miss the point.  You know that.  I know
> that.  But How many restaurant workers know it?

The most sophisticated fire extinguisher systems seen by most people
are in comercial kitchens like restaurants because food burns.  Part
of restaurant worker training is in the fire extinguishers.  Other parts
include baked Alaska, shis-kabab, and other flambeau foods.

silber@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Jeffrey Silber) (02/20/86)

There is a product out in this country, and that has been available elsewhere
in the world for some time, called Ultra-high temperature milk.  This is milk
that has been processed at higher than normal pasteurization temperatures and
packaged in the new "aseptic" packaging (like the juice boxes that are out).
This does not require refrigeration and keeps for extended periods of time.
I have not tasted it, but it has been written up in Consumer Reports and their
response was, if I recall, that it is not as good as fresh, but better than
powdered.

A million here, a million there ... they all add up.

Jeffrey A. Silber              silber@devvax.tn.cornell.edu
Business Manager               JAS@CORNELLD
Center for Theory & Simulation {decvax,ihnp4,cmcl2,vax135}!cornell!devvax!silber
   in Science & Engineering    265 Olin Hall
Cornell University             Ithaca, NY  14853