[net.consumers] Discover -- A product of the Sears

rcook@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (02/09/86)

Sear's turned me down for a REGULAR sear's charge card because of something
that happened aLONG time ago and put on my local C.B. file.
I guess they didn't consider my credit rating at several major U.S. banks and
several local department stores (all of which were on the application).

Should I bitch about this or should I just blow Sear's off forever as a
source of products  or both??????

	 Rob Cook

UUCP:	 {ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!rcook

      'Life is just a cocktail party on the street'
			-Mick Jagger-

hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (02/10/86)

re: sears credit policy

just to show the other extreme: sears was my first credit card; i got
it at age 18, as a college student with zero credit record.  my memory
is a little fuzzy about it (this was ~1970), but i think i used the
credit right away for a $400 purchase (even before i got the plastic).

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet	Phone:	(217)333-8703

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (02/10/86)

> Sear's turned me down for a REGULAR sear's charge card because of something
> that happened aLONG time ago and put on my local C.B. file.
> I guess they didn't consider my credit rating at several major U.S. banks and
> several local department stores (all of which were on the application).
>
> Should I bitch about this or should I just blow Sear's off forever as a
> source of products  or both??????

It kind of depends on the nature of the thing that happened.
If, for example, you were convicted of credit card fraud, don't
expect me ever to grant you credit again.  If, on the other hand,
you bounced a few checks and have maintained a good credit record
since then, no sweat.

What was it that happened?  How do you know the reason you were
turned down?  When was this?  Did you do anything about it at the time?

Tell us these things and then maybe we'll be able to help.

c55-hp@buddy.BERKELEY.EDU (Ilya Goldberg) (02/11/86)

In article <34200017@uiucuxc> hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU writes:

>re: sears credit policy
>
>just to show the other extreme: sears was my first credit card; i got
>it at age 18, as a college student with zero credit record.  my memory
>is a little fuzzy about it (this was ~1970), but i think i used the
>credit right away for a $400 purchase (even before i got the plastic).

	This is one of the ways you can get a Sears charge without having
much of a credit record.  Currently, they will give you one of theirs
instantly if you show them a major credit card.  But, if you don't have one
of those and really want to have a Sears card, go into one of their stores,
go to a salesperson and tell him/you would like to buy a tv/stereo and that
you want to open a charge account right away to finance the purchase.
This will instantly raise your chances of getting the card.  And even though
you can bring your purchase back (even to another Sears), your card will
stay.

						Ilya Goldberg

						...!ucbvax!ilya

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (02/12/86)

> I can't believe you read them right.  (no offense)  I heard that "popularity"
> is a factor in these cases.  In other words, the mere fact that you are so
> much in the public eye makes you fair game, true or not true.  That's how
> the Enquirer and such can get away with the stuff they print. (citing Carol
> Burnette case).

A poor example, considering the Enquirer LOST that case.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"Hideously disfigured by Indian curse? We can help! Call (511) 338-0959
 for an appointment."

ron@brl-smoke.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (02/12/86)

> Sear's turned me down for a REGULAR sear's charge card because of something
> that happened aLONG time ago and put on my local C.B. file.
> I guess they didn't consider my credit rating at several major U.S. banks and
> several local department stores (all of which were on the application).
>
> Should I bitch about this or should I just blow Sear's off forever as a
> source of products  or both??????

I'd complain.  Even if you don't ever intend to shop at Sears, it's
probably something you should clear up.  Frankly, I've had rather
good luck with going back and checking/explaining/badgering credit
people who refused me credit (this was mostly after a crosscountry
move and my name kept popping up as not having any credit history).

-Ron

> just to show the other extreme: sears was my first credit card; i got
> it at age 18, as a college student with zero credit record.  my memory
> is a little fuzzy about it (this was ~1970), but i think i used the
> credit right away for a $400 purchase (even before i got the plastic).

	Hell, them was the good 'ole days when graduating college students
got UNSOLICITED credit cards in the mail, because credit card issuers felt
that college students were a good risk.  Federal legislation later outlawed
the practice of issuing unsolicited credit cards.  Many credit card issuers
also discovered that their assumption about college students being a good risk
was wrong...

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                               seismo!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==

bde@ihlpl.UUCP (Ewbank) (02/17/86)

> > just to show the other extreme: sears was my first credit card; i got
> > it at age 18, as a college student with zero credit record.  my memory
> > is a little fuzzy about it (this was ~1970), but i think i used the
> > credit right away for a $400 purchase (even before i got the plastic).
>
> 	Hell, them was the good 'ole days when graduating college students
> got UNSOLICITED credit cards in the mail, because credit card issuers felt
> that college students were a good risk.  Federal legislation later outlawed
> the practice of issuing unsolicited credit cards.  Many credit card issuers
> also discovered that their assumption about college students being a good risk
> was wrong...

They may not have unsolicited credit cards any more, but my first card
was also sears (18, unemployed, college student) and I've used it ever
since (only 7 years... I'm still a youngster ;-).  Never had a problem
with them.  I like Crafts<person> tools.  Not a political statement,
just an opinion.  JCPenney didn't "like" me until I was 22.
--
"them's mah own parsunal i-dees, not mah employah's"

-- Bryan Ewbank, 312/979-4296, !ihnp4!ihlpl!bde,
   ih 6M-523 / AT&T Bell Labs / Naperville, IL  60566

kathy@gsg.UUCP (Kathryn Smith) (02/19/86)

	I've noticed that Sears has strange credit procedures too.  When I
graduated from college and started my 1st job I applied at the same time for
an American Express card, a Visa card, and a Sears card.  I got all three, but
what kills me is the timing of when I got them.  It took American Express about
a month and a half to approve my application, Visa about two months, and Sears
six months.  It kind of makes you wonder doesn't it?

	On the same theme, I discovered recently, much to my disgust, that the
local Ames dept. store wants to know more about my finances to give a check-
cashing courtesy card than American Express or the bank I have my Visa through
wanted to know before issuing me a credit card.

						Kathryn Smith
						( ...decvax!gsg!kathy)
						General Systems Group, Inc.
						Salem, NH

marcus@wanginst.UUCP (Bob Marcus) (02/20/86)

In article <161@gsg.UUCP> kathy@gsg.UUCP (Kathryn Smith) writes:

>	I've noticed that Sears has strange credit procedures too.  When I
>graduated from college and started my 1st job I applied at the same time for
>an American Express card, a Visa card, and a Sears card.  I got all three, but
>what kills me is the timing of when I got them.  It took American Express about
>a month and a half to approve my application, Visa about two months, and Sears
>six months.  It kind of makes you wonder doesn't it?

HOW TO GET A SEARS CREDIT CARD QUICKLY:  Make a purchase, and say you want
to apply for a card and put the purchase on it.  They hold the goods until
the application is approved (or denied), which takes a week or so.  I think
they are legally required to process the application immediately if it is to
cover a purchase.  Cost doesn't matter; we did it with a $10 item.

--
Bob Marcus                               marcus@wanginst        (Csnet)
Wang Institute of Graduate Studies       wanginst!marcus        (UUCP)

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (02/21/86)

>	I've noticed that Sears has strange credit procedures too.  When I
>graduated from college and started my 1st job I applied at the same time for
>an American Express card, a Visa card, and a Sears card.  I got all three, but
>what kills me is the timing of when I got them.  It took American Express about
>a month and a half to approve my application, Visa about two months, and Sears
>six months.  It kind of makes you wonder doesn't it?

Sears is not a centralized operation -- they have various offices scattered
around the country.  Each one is different.

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (02/24/86)

In article <161@gsg.UUCP> kathy@gsg.UUCP (Kathryn Smith) writes:

>	I've noticed that Sears has strange credit procedures too.  When I
>graduated from college and started my 1st job I applied at the same time for
>an American Express card, a Visa card, and a Sears card.  I got all three, but
>what kills me is the timing of when I got them.  It took American Express about
>a month and a half to approve my application, Visa about two months, and Sears
>six months.  It kind of makes you wonder doesn't it?

Not really, look at the volume involved. Sears is pushing those
applications like crazy. (They actually have in-store contests for which
employee can get the most signed applications.) I imagine the backlog must
be attrocious.

For what it's worth, Sears actually *lost* my first application. Their
advice- wait a few more weeks and fill out another application. (Well, at
least I got two pen sets out of it. :-)

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

Give an ape control of its environment and it will fill the world with bananas.