[net.consumers] Pyramid Schemes

jeb@kitc.UUCP (Jim Beckman) (09/20/85)

<>

Amway isn't the only "legal" pyramid scheme running in America.  Don't
forget the biggest pyramid of all:

                 Social Security

It's only legal because the government does it.

rjn@hpfcla.UUCP (10/01/85)

re: SSS as "pyramid" scheme...

> Amway isn't the only "legal" pyramid scheme running in America.  Don't
> forget the biggest pyramid of all:
>                  Social Security
> It's only legal because the government does it.

SSS is a "Ponzi" rather than a pyramid.  In a Ponzi scheme, prior  investors
are paid out of the income from new  investors;  up until the  operator  has
enough  "float"  to  retire  to  Brazil.  The  government  won't act in this
manner, of course,  because  unlike a Ponzi  operator,  the  government  can
enroll  new  investors  by FORCE and pay old ones by  printing  money  (i.e.
inflating the money supply).

The recent lactic culture scam is also  representative  of a Ponzi.  Pyramid
schemes rely on a growing  hierarchy of  re-distributors.  Quiz for the day:
Is a chain letter a pyramid scheme?  Film at eleven.

Regards,                                               Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                             3404 East Harmony Road
hplabs!hpfcla!rjn                                      Fort Collins CO  80525

marks@yogi.DEC (02/24/86)

Recently, I attended a function sponsored by a local university, to
which the public had been invited.  While I was there, the professor
who was running the function mentioned a "get rich quick" scheme he
and his wife were involved in.  On a table in the middle of one of the
rooms where we were assembled, the professor had organized stacks of
what I would call propaganda (most likely Xeroxed on the university's
copying machines) about this scheme (this was totally separate from
the function we were attending, which really rather surprised if not
shocked me).  In his words, he said, "Suspend your disbelief and talk
to me about how you can make all kinds of money..."

The corporation that seems to be the "granddaddy" of the scheme I was
presented with is M.L.P. Corporation of Memphis, Tennessee.  The
scheme is called "Trend Card," and the premise is that you (the peon)
invest $49.50 in a "Trend Card," which allows you to buy food and
household products at supposedly "discount" prices.  Included with the
information/propaganda is a representative list of the discounts you
can get, and frankly, scanning them quickly, they don't seem too much
(if at all) less expensive than the prices at my local Stop & Shop.

The hook is that you are supposed to push the sale of these trend
cards to absolutely everyone in the world.  (The propaganda suggests
starting with everyone you know, e.g., the police and fire chief of
your town, the mayor, people on your old job, people on your new job,
neighbors, your lawyer, your doctor(s), your gardener, your milkman,
the person who sold "your wife her fur coat," and basically everyone
else on up to God.)  You get a "commission" for selling the cards and
you get a cut of the money the cardholders spend on the food and
household items.  You are also provided with an order form to order
either an A, B, or C mailing list (each one progessively cheaper with
progressively less useful -- older -- names).

Included in the propaganda is also an "application" (really a
contract) in which you obligate yourself to the M.L.P. Corporation in
certain ways (you must sell a minimum of one Trend Card per month to
remain eligible to sponsor new agents; you absolve MLP Corp. of any
employer/employee obligations to you; you may not advertise using MLP
Corp.'s name; the company can alter its "marketing plan" at any time;
you are not remunerated for recruiting new sales persons; etc.).  Most
of the articles in the agreement protect M.L.P. or absolve it from
liability.

I guess my question is this:  does anyone have any personal experience
with this corporation?  With this particular scheme?  Haven't there
been recent laws enacted to counteract this type of pyramid scheme or
to prohibit it?  I am in Massachusetts, but I am not entirely aware of
the laws governing this type of thing.  Does anyone know of what the
appropriate state agency is to find out about it or to let someone
know it is going on?  I suppose the Attorney General's office might
keep files on these things.  Is that the appropriate place to call?

Thanks in advance.

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (02/26/86)

In article <1324@decwrl.DEC.COM> marks@yogi.DEC writes:

>The corporation that seems to be the "granddaddy" of the scheme I was
>presented with is M.L.P. Corporation of Memphis, Tennessee.  The
>scheme is called "Trend Card," and the premise is that you (the peon)
>invest $49.50 in a "Trend Card," which allows you to buy food and
>household products at supposedly "discount" prices...

I work here in Memphis, so I couldn't resist this posting. I called the
local BBB, and they are *very* familiar with this outfit. Here's what
they told me.

M.L.P. Corporation was formed in June, 1984 by a fellow called Mr.
George. It indeed markets the Trend card, which not only gives you
discounts, but also claims to help you clear up problems with your
credit cards, prepare your will (!), and give you travel discounts.

Mr. George was the president of the now-defunct V.I.P. Corporation,
formed in October, 1981, which marketed a similar card called the
"Clout" card. This company went bankrupt, and Mr. George is trying his
hand again with this new corporation.

The BBB warns to be very cautious in dealing with this company.

Then the guy at the BBB said something really strange. He said there
was a lot more information he could give me if I could tell him the
food store chain that was behind M.L.P. He can't give me any
information about the parent company unless I ask for the company
by name, and he would not give me the name. But he implied there is a
lot more about the company to be said; and he seemed to be afraid of
a libel suit if he told me, unless I asked for the parent company
by name. All in all, it sounds like a fun outfit. See if you can get
the name of that parent company, and I can get you more dirt on them.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgua!cylixd!dave)