[net.consumers] Drug capsules

digrazia@nacho.DEC (02/25/86)

A while back, some news medium reported that investigators had found
poisoned Tylenol capsules by noticing that the print on the capsules
did not line up between the capsules' two halves, suggesting that
the capsules had been manually opened and reassembled.

So when I noticed one out of twenty of my Keflex capsules with
misaligned print, I decided it was suspect.  No doubt International
Terrorists have struck the pharmaceutical distribution channels in
New Hampshire.  After all, the two halves of the little gelatin
capsule can't turn themselves a quarter-turn, can they?

I phoned Eli Lilly in Indianapolis and had a pleasant conversation
with the expected polite expert, who assured me that there was very
little likelihood of trouble, notwithstanding that he didn't
understand my question.  It's not clear to me just how much
explaining is necessary to convey an understanding that the print
on a drug capsule is not aligned between the capsule's two halves.
Would a photograph or a video tape help?

I figured the capsule was adulteratied with hideous toxins, so I
decided to have the capsule's contents assayed.  I phoned a local
chemical lab (listed in the Yellow Pages).  They were less than
interested.  The voice on the other end of the phone said they
needed to know what they were looking for.

The only course I can think of is to send half of the capsule's
contents to Eli Lilly, and ask them whether it's different from what
it ought to be.  While awaiting their report, I can continue
looking for an independent lab.

Does anyone know where I can find a lab capable of comparing two
samples of a common antibiotic?

Bob D

Usenet address:	  ...decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-nacho!digrazia

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (02/27/86)

Ok, I've been thinking about all this tylenol stuff and I believe the
following for absolutely no factual reason:

	I predict it will be discovered that something in
	tylenol's manufacturing process added the cyanide,
	or somehow caused it to be generated while in capsule.
	That is, it was not put there by a person with malicious
	intent.

My only reasoning is that their proof that things were tampered with
seems pretty thin. Also, I presume manufacturing techniques from
company to company are fairly different (perhaps even protected), so
there is no need to explain why other acetominophen manufacturers have
not had the same problem. Obviously this is not original, I am just
saying it seems to not be what people are looking into and still
appears to be the most plausible explanation. Anyone know anything
concrete? Is it just that the interested parties are more comfortable
with the lone terrorist theory than shaking our faith in the system?

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (03/03/86)

> Ok, I've been thinking about all this tylenol stuff and I believe the
> following for absolutely no factual reason:
>
> 	I predict it will be discovered that something in
> 	tylenol's manufacturing process added the cyanide,
> 	or somehow caused it to be generated while in capsule.
> 	That is, it was not put there by a person with malicious
> 	intent.
>
> My only reasoning is that their proof that things were tampered with
> seems pretty thin. Also, I presume manufacturing techniques from
> company to company are fairly different (perhaps even protected), so
> there is no need to explain why other acetominophen manufacturers have
> not had the same problem. Obviously this is not original, I am just
> saying it seems to not be what people are looking into and still
> appears to be the most plausible explanation. Anyone know anything
> concrete? Is it just that the interested parties are more comfortable
> with the lone terrorist theory than shaking our faith in the system?
>
> 	-Barry Shein, Boston University

If the problem is a manufacturing fault, why so few fatalities?  A whole
batch should be contaminated -- they don't make Tylenol one bottle at
a time.  Instead of a couple fatalities in one geographic area, there
should be dozens.

Based on your postings in net.politics, I think you would rather make
a poorly reasoned statement like the one above, so you can blame big bad
capitalism, rather than accept the fact that there are evil people out
there who like to kill.

avinash@ubvax.UUCP (Avinash Marathe) (03/03/86)

In article <217@bu-cs.UUCP> bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) writes:

>Ok, I've been thinking about all this tylenol stuff and I believe the
>following for absolutely no factual reason:
>
>	I predict it will be discovered that something in
>	tylenol's manufacturing process added the cyanide,
>	or somehow caused it to be generated while in capsule.
>	That is, it was not put there by a person with malicious
>	intent.
>
>My only reasoning is that their proof that things were tampered with
>seems pretty thin.  ........................... Anyone know anything
>concrete? Is it just that the interested parties are more comfortable
>with the lone terrorist theory than shaking our faith in the system?
>
>	-Barry Shein, Boston University

I watched the CEO of Johnson & Johnson being interviewed on Donahue and
the explanation he gave was as follows.  The two bottles of tylenol belonged
to two different batches and were found a mile apart in two different stores
(Woolworth and A&P).  Now J&J shipped these two different batches from two
different locations to the main distribution centers of Woolworth and A&P.
These distribution centers in turn shipped batches to each of their stores.
In this scenario the probability of these two bottles landing up a mile apart
from each other is very very small (1 in a billion or trillion, I don't
remember).

Another interesting detail that he mentioned was that both bottles may have
had exactly five contaminated capsules.  The unused portion of the bottle
found in the victim's apartment had 3 contaminated capsules.  So if she
ingested 2 capsules, that's a total of five.  The other bottle found
on the store's shelf had exactly five contaminated capsules.  It seems
pretty unlikely that exactly five capsules in each bottle could be
contaminated due to an error in the manufacturing process.

The CEO did acknowledge that none of this proves anything.

Disclaimer:  I am in no way affiliated with J&J.

Avinash Marathe
{ihnp4,allegra,decwrl}!amd!ubvax!avinash