[net.consumers] Sears credit cards: hidden signup incentive

andrew@hammer.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (02/28/86)

For the last few months, the Portland Oregon Sears store has been
offering a $5 credit on a purchase just for filling out a credit card
application.  However, they don't tell you about the incentive unless
you look like a hard sell:

	Salesperson: "And will you be charging that on your Sears
		charge card?"
	Customer: "No, I'll pay cash."
	Salesperson (shoving application and pen at customer): "You can
		fill out an application and charge this purchase."
	Customer: (expletive deleted) "No."
	Salesperson: "You'll get a five dollar credit."
	Customer: (horribly offensive expletive deleted) "Take the"
		(expletive deleted) "cash and let me out of here."

Another (overheard) conversation on another day:

	Salesperson 1: "Did you get the customer to apply for a credit
		card?"
	Salesperson 2: "Yes, but I had to offer him the five dollars."

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (tekecs!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (03/05/86)

In article <1833@hammer.UUCP> andrew@hammer.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) writes:
>For the last few months, the Portland Oregon Sears store has been
>offering a $5 credit on a purchase just for filling out a credit card
>application...

Sounds like a good way to make $5 every visit. Just fill out a bogus
application with a bogus name and address. You get $5, the salesman
gets a commission, and Sears gets what it deserves.

THE ABOVE IS ONLY SPECULATION, AND IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION TO DISOBEY
ANY LAWS OR ORDINANCES. KIDS, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. CHECK WITH LOCAL
POLICE BEFORE TRYING.