[net.consumers] Does anybody know if Suncoast Travel's free vacation is legit?

lps1@mtuxo.UUCP (l.schmelz) (02/25/86)

 I received a post card in the mail from Suncoast Travel Holiday saying that
I won a trip to Florida. I was to provide my own airfare and meals; they
would provide the accommodations. To register for this give-away I have to send
in $69.50 to reserve my place and receive a book of coupons worth $800.
This all sounded suspicious to me so I didn't send any money yet, as I have
until June 87.
	Question: Does anybody know of anybody that has pursued this?

						Lance

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (02/26/86)

In article <1343@mtuxo.UUCP> lps1@mtuxo.UUCP (l.schmelz) writes:

> I received a post card in the mail from Suncoast Travel Holiday saying that
>I won a trip to Florida. I was to provide my own airfare and meals; they
>would provide the accommodations. To register for this give-away I have to send
>in $69.50 to reserve my place and receive a book of coupons worth $800.
>This all sounded suspicious to me so I didn't send any money yet, as I have
>until June 87.
>	Question: Does anybody know of anybody that has pursued this?
>

>						Lance

	Aww, go ahead - send them the money. You won't get a trip to Florida,
but you *will* learn a valuable lesson.

--
					--MKR

There is none so blind as he who cannot see.

andrew@hammer.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (02/28/86)

[]

	"I received a post card in the mail from Suncoast Travel
	Holiday saying that I won a trip to Florida. I was to provide
	my own airfare and meals; they would provide the
	accommodations. To register for this give-away I have to send
	in $69.50 to reserve my place and receive a book of coupons
	worth $800.  This all sounded suspicious to me so I didn't send
	any money yet, as I have until June 87."

It sounds like they're going to try to sell you a condominium.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (tekecs!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

ofut@gitpyr.UUCP (03/09/86)

>	"I received a post card in the mail from Suncoast Travel
>	Holiday saying that I won a trip to Florida. I was to provide
                       :
>	in $69.50 to reserve my place and receive a book of coupons
>	worth $800.  This all sounded suspicious to me so I didn't send
>
>>It sounds like they're going to try to sell you a condominium.

Undoubtably.  My wife and I did something similar a few years ago.
I "won" the deal at the Knoxville world fair.  We spent a long
weekend at a very nice condo on the Florida panhandle playing
rich folks.  The only catch was that we spent about three hours
going through their sale routine.  (They were trying to sell
time share vacations where you "buy" rights to a place for two
weeks a year.)  We turned them down, as we were just entering
grad school and more than broke.

They were very nice, not _too_ hard sell, and quite unobtrusive
the rest of the time.  I don't remember the company, but it was
_not_ Suncoast Travel Holiday.

As an aside, the "tyme-share vacation" seemed sound from a business
perspective.  The main negative side is that you then feel obligated
to spend two weeks a year at the same place.
--
Jeff Offutt
School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta Georgia, 30332