[net.consumers] Orphaned Response

hamilton@uiucuxc.UUCP (04/09/84)

#R:psuvm:-52700:uiucuxc:34200004:37777777600:277
uiucuxc!hamilton    Apr  9 04:07:00 1984

are you sure there're no skeletons in your closet?  i got my sears
card at age 18 before i had a driver's license, much less visa or MC,
or any sign of creditworthiness whatsoever.  used it right away for
a $~400 purchase.  (this was circa '70; have things changed that much?)

andrew@inmet.UUCP (04/21/84)

#R:wjh12:-45000:inmet:22100006:177600:544
inmet!andrew    Apr 19 09:16:00 1984

Re: getting a Sears credit card

Apparantly Amex ("Don't leave school without it") is not the only credit
card company actively courting the new-graduate market.  My latest Sears
bill included a form addressed to "Parents of New College Graduates",
hawking the benefits of a Sears charge card for Junior.  This is quite a
departure for them; as recently as a year ago it was quite difficult to
get a Sears card without appropriate work experience and credit history.

Andrew W. Rogers, Intermetrics   ...{harpo|ihnp4|ima|esquire}!inmet!andrew

hamilton@uiucuxc.UUCP (05/21/84)

#R:umcp-cs:-496200:uiucuxc:34200008:000:314
uiucuxc!hamilton    May 20 18:51:00 1984

|	It comes with a rather
|	long endless-loop tape, ~30 seconds, but you can get tapes as short
|	as 12 seconds, generally from whomever services them in your area.
|	(Finding them can be a pain, if you bought from a discount store!)

the local radio shack carries endless-loop cassettes... shouldn't be a problem.

larry@hpfclp.UUCP (larry) (08/16/84)

Some pay channels at certain times advertise that you can watch them free.
They expect you to get hooked and want to start paying for them after they
turn them off again.  That's always the best time of the month to watch
them, whether you subscribe or not, because they play the best of the best
at those times.

Larry Fenske

tower@inmet.UUCP (11/30/84)

	1) I suspect you will do better, cost wise, weatherstriping your
present windows, and caulking the frames, them you will with replacement
thermopane windows. I recommend the plastic strip insulation that you
fold over to form a v and attach to the frame. A piece also goes between
the two window sections. Supply cost is under $10.00/window

    Air space formed by storm window.
---------    ------------
	||  /|
frame	|| / | window
	||/  |
---------    ------------
   Inside house.

You can often find a local handyman who will do the installation at a
reasonable price, if you don't have the time. It might be wise to wait
on the caulking of the storm window and frames until the next time the
frames are scraped and painted. Unpainted caulk can have an unaesthetic
contrast to the old paint.

Note that the cost of the supplies and installation labor qualify for
the federal energy tax credit.

Note that if you go for full replacement windows you will probably
exceed the $2000 maximum limit per residence, and pay the full cost of
the amount over $2,000.

Note that some states also have a state income tax energy tax or credit.

	2) If you do decide to replace the double hung windows, I would
keep the storms. The 3rd (or 4th) layer of glass gives a fair amount of
installation, and its "free". The major disadvantages are having to
paint and recaulk the wooden frame every 5-10 years, and convincing the
contractor to leave the storms in place (GET IT WRITTEN INTO THE
CONTRACT!).

-len tower		UUCP:     {ihnp4,harpo}!inmet!tower
 Intermetrics, Inc.	INTERNET: ima!inmet!tower@CCA-UNIX.ARPA
 733 Concord Ave.
 Cambridge, MA  02138	(617) 661-1840
 U.S.A.

barrett@hpcnoe.UUCP (barrett) (01/14/85)

My experience with Consumer Reports is that they are good for  defensive
buying:  meaning that if you buy something they reccommend, you will not
get ripped off.  This means that they do net necessarily  give  you  the
best buy, just a good one.

If you know something about the product category, then you  can  usually
get  a  better  product  at a lower price than their reccomendations.  I
have found this to be true of audio equipment, bicycles, and computers.
I still use the magazine though.

Dave Barrett
hplabs!hp-dcd!barrett or ihnp4!hpfcla!barrett

dgs@hpfclv.UUCP (dgs) (01/16/85)

> It's obvious that the battery manufacturers just can't bring themselves
> to produce a product that would effectively obsolete their disposable
> battery products...
>
> I've also heard that light bulbs that last forever can be made, but you
> can't buy them, because G.E. (etc.) would lose money.

  Yes,  lights  batterys  and  nylons.  There is a way  around  the  light
  problem  though, you can insert a diode in the line to effectively  half
  wave  rectify  the ac  current.  This will cause the light  bulb to burn
  dimmer  and  thereby  remain  cooler.  Heat,  or  'burning  up',  is the
  downfall of the filement in every light bulb.  To maintain light output,
  you install a higher wattage light bulb which still burns cooler that it
  is  designed  to burn out at.  This will cause most light  bulbs to last
  about 10 times longer than they are spec'ed to (as if I have measured it
  :-).

  Dan (my 4-year old still knocks the lamps over) Schmidt
  Hewlett-Packard
  {ihnp4 | hplabs}hpfcla!dgs

faunt@hplabs.UUCP (Doug Faunt) (01/22/85)

> > I've also heard that light bulbs that last forever can be made, but you
> > can't buy them, because G.E. (etc.) would lose money.
>
>   Yes,  lights  batterys  and  nylons.  There is a way  around  the  light
>   problem  though, you can insert a diode in the line to effectively  half
>   wave  rectify  the ac  current.  This will cause the light  bulb to burn
>   dimmer  and  thereby  remain  cooler.  Heat,  or  'burning  up',  is the
>   downfall of the filement in every light bulb.  To maintain light output,

You can also buy 130V bulbs to accomplish much the same thing.
--
	....!hplabs!faunt	faunt%hplabs@csnet-relay
HP is not responsible for anything I say here.  In fact, it may have

rml@hpfcls.UUCP (rml) (01/22/85)

I too have found that the catalogue is usually a better deal than
the retail store.  However, be sure to ask the shipping charge for a
particular catlogue item (give the shipping weight, always listed
with price).  This is sometimes very significant, especially on
inexpensive items and heavy items.  With inexpensive items it can
help to combine orders, but don't rely on this.  Once I did, and
one inexpensive item was out of stock.  It came separately, with a
shipping charge that was a significant percentage of its price (it's
been a few years and I don't remember any figures).

			Bob Lenk (hpfcla!rml)

chan@hpfcma.UUCP (chan) (02/11/85)

You can buy component TV's now, they just cost 3x an integrated unit.

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (ajs) (02/11/85)

Re: Thinsulate

Whatever that stuff is, it makes a fine pair of ski gloves.  Very warm for
minimal weight and thickness.

Alan Silverstein

rml@hpfcls.UUCP (rml) (02/23/85)

My wife and I have found our comforter to work very well.  We also use
flannel sheets, and if we forget to turn the heat down to ~55 we get
pretty sweaty.  I paid about $160 for a double, but that was seven years
ago.  As for more recent good buys, I've seen them about a year ago at
Marshall's (probably irregulars) and advertised on sale at Penney's for
prices under $100.  I can't speak about the quality of these, but they
were 100% down.

			Bob Lenk
			{hplabs, ihnp4}!hpfcla!rml

rjs@hpfclo.UUCP (rjs) (03/10/85)

There are companies that market gas versions of a storageless hot water
heaters. One such brand is called a Paloma(sp?). They claim that it is
87% efficient. As I recall they are expensive (600-700 bucks). But,
since gas is currently a lot cheaper (per BTU) than electricity, this
may be the way to go (if you want to deal wih the initial cost!).

	Bob Schneider
	{hplabs|ihnp4}!hpfcla!hpfclo!rjs

chan@hpfcma.UUCP (chan) (03/14/85)

I've had a North Face down jacket for the last 8 years (same one)
and its gotten me through some nasty cold winters with flying colors.
I can't think of anything I've seen that I would trade it for (except
maybe a North Face Brooks Range down jacket ($300).

Down's not for everyone though. I've taken great pains to keep mine
in tip-top shape -- that's why it's lasted so long (plus North Face's
incredible quality: they recently put a new zipper on it for me for
free).

One thing that flames me about thinsulate is the advertisements that
say it's a more efficient insulator than down -- they are comparing
insulation per thickness, not weight. As far as I know, nothing is
more efficient by weight than down, though I could be wrong.

		A few random ramblings from
		-- Chan Benson
		Hewlett-Packard Company
		Ft. Collins, CO
		{hplabs | ihnp4}!hpfcla!chan

ron@hpfcmt.UUCP (ron) (05/08/85)

The "phony official envelope trick".....

Next thing you know they may have phony return addresses such as

US Treasury and have green punch-cards visible in the see-thru window.

It's quite the game for the advertisers to get people to open their junk
mail.

"It's a tough job but somebody's got to do it. Would your rather have them
call you on the phone ???"

Ron Miller
H-P
Ft. Collins Colo

ihnp4!hpfcla!ron-m

chan@hpfcma.UUCP (chan) (05/12/85)

Depending on what kind of mortgage you have, and what you
think will happen to interest rates in the future, you
might want to think twice about paying your loan off early.

If you have a fixed rate *assumable* mortgage with no due
on sale clause, and interest rates go up, then your loan
becomes a valuable feature if/when it comes time to sell
your house. Big balance assumable mortgages are very attractive
to home buyers. This is especially useful if you live in
a place like the Front Range of Colorado, where there are tons
of new-home builders that can offer below-market financing.
It's tough to compete in that market.

This is not gospel, just another side of the issue.

			-- Chan Benson
			{hplabs | ihnp4}!hpfcla!chan
			Ft. Collins, CO

pag@hao.UUCP (Peter Gross) (05/13/85)

> The "phony official envelope trick".....
>
> Next thing you know they may have phony return addresses such as
>
> US Treasury and have green punch-cards visible in the see-thru window.
>

> It's quite the game for the advertisers to get people to open their junk
> mail.

Simple word of advice here: always check the postage.  All the URGENT's,
OFFICIAL's, PRIZE NOTIFICATION's don't amount to a dog turd when the
postage is bulk rate.  Just toss 'em.  Any really important mail of this
type would be AT A MINIMUM first class, and likely something more restrictive
like registered, certified, etc.
--
--peter gross
UUCP:	{hplabs,seismo}!hao!pag

bruce@inmet.UUCP (05/28/85)

Actually, the best way to handle it is by drilling a 3/8" hole, then
using a "metal nibbler" to chip it into a circle. Goes a lot faster
than a file, though you'll have to touch up the edges if you want
them to be pretty and smooth.

bill@hpfcms.UUCP (bill) (06/19/85)

>		3) Citibank, South Dakota (?)
>		   VISA,MC  : No deposit required;
>			      $20/year;
>			      Get Citidollars (similar to AT&T Opp. Credits);
>			      Annual interest rate: ?

I can't add any, but I can comment on this one.  The interest rate is either
18% or 21%, I'm not sure which.  Also, when I first got the card, my name
must somehow have gotten on everybody's mailing list.  I was inundated with
sweepstakes offers, catalogs (some associated with citidollars), and other
mail-order outfits.

Generally, I recommend this card, mainly because of all the additional
services you can get through it (IRAs, CDs, investment counselling, discount
buying clubs, and some others that escape me right now).  I haven't made use
of any of this stuff yet (nor do I plan to right now), but it's nice to
have it available for comparisons when/if I find myself in the market for
these services.  You also have a 30-day grace period in which to pay off
charges before interest starts accruing.

American Express:  I had one once, and I really don't know why anybody
would want one.  It's accepted in fewer places than either Visa or
MasterCard, and it costs at least 1.5 times what the other cards do.
You can probably get all you want from a Visa or MasterCard for a cheaper
rate, and have the card accepted at more places at the same time.

Bill Gates

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (x0705) (07/01/85)

> American Express:  I had one once, and I really don't know why anybody
> would want one........	[Visa/Mastercard] ........
> Bill Gates
For traveling, the American Express is a real win - there's more or less no
credit limit, so you don't get stuck somewhere with a credit card that
can't pay for your car rental or plane tickets, and there's no interest
charged if you pay within 60 days (though they zing you after that.)

I once had to use an express rental car drop-off, and was charged Avis's
usual 300% extra for not reading your bill.  It pushed my Visa
>30% over the credit limit, so the bank made one phone call to an
out-of-date phone number, and cancelled the card when I didn't answer.
(I was using Visa since I didn't expect to pay for the trip very soon;
I spent the rest of the time using American Express.)

American Express is also a lot more flexible when something goofs up.
--
Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (07/02/85)

> I once had to use an express rental car drop-off, and was charged Avis's
> usual 300% extra for not reading your bill.

What does this mean?   Avis charges extra for using the express drop-off?
I thought at the NJ airport they ENCOURAGED you to use the express drop-off.
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (x0705) (07/03/85)

> > I once had to use an express rental car drop-off, and was charged Avis's
> > usual 300% extra for not reading your bill.
> What does this mean?   Avis charges extra for using the express drop-off?
> I thought at the NJ airport they ENCOURAGED you to use the express drop-off.
> J. Eric Roskos

I guess I wasn't real clear.  Avis doesn't charge extra forthe express
drop-off, but you don't get to see the bill.  My bill at Avis is normally
wrong; at least half the time by > 100%.  This time they were wrong by 200%.
Of the 6 or so times I've taken Avis, they got the bill correct once, only
mischarged me for mileage+gas on another time, and all other times have charged
me totally bogus rates for the car.  (e.g. full non-discounted price or worse.)
It doesn't seem to matter if the correct rate is printed on the contract;
I still have to argue for 5 minutes to get the rate they promised when they
gave me the car.

With National or Hertz, I may have to wait in line, but when I drop off the car
they charge me the right amount.

			Bill Stewart
--
Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

dat@hpcnof.UUCP (dat) (07/08/85)

	Uh oh...the belt versus direct-drive turntable controversy
rears its ugly head...

	As far as I recall reading, there is no significant difference
between the two types with a SUFFICIENTLY good turntable.  Some of the
best turntables available are belt drive, and others are direct drive.

	On the low end, however, I suspect that a direct drive turntable
would be a better purchase - low end being under, oh, $200 or so.  I
have a beltdrive turntable, and even when I first got it I noticed that
there was some wow (ie inconsistent rotational speed) and it was
audible on sufficiently hot days (changes the tension in the rubber
belt, I guess).  I went back and talked to the stereo place and they
said, in so many words, 'you buy cheap, you get cheap, buddy!' and
they were right.

	The turntable I'd LIKE to own (some day... some day) is an
English direct drive table made by a company called Rega.  The model
I prefer is the Planer III.  To my ears, they are 99.999% as good as
a Linn Sondeck turntable, commonly acknowledged to be the best turntables
in the world...the Rega is about $500 or so...

	Hope this helps!

				---- Dave Taylor
				HP Colorado Networks

rjn@hpfcmp.UUCP (rjn) (07/16/85)

re: protecting car stereos against thieves...

A poster last year  reported good results from taping razor blades at various
locations  under the dash.  Of course  you'd want to post a sign, at least to
remind yourself and your mechanic, if not to caution the crook.

I wouldn't  recommend  this unless you have a red interior :-) Of course, you
could  always  just  post  the  sign.  I  personally   rely  on  non-standard
installations that require removal of the entire dash.  This saved a CB once,
although I did have to replace the vent window.

Regards,                                               Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                             3404 East Harmony Road
hplabs!hpfcla!rjn                                      Fort Collins CO  80525
#! rnew

ron@hpfcmt.UUCP (ron) (07/17/85)

Re: Non-standard installation

But then again, some stereo rip off artists use HATCHETS to remove the
offending dashboard material

Perhaps a coil spring under the seat which is tripped by the alarm
system for removing the offender from your vehicle. (Explosive bolts for
removing the roof from the line of fire can be installed at a nominal
additional cost.)  Suspension springs are of adequate power.

Seriously, about the hatchets, I know of a pair of burgalars (who were
caught in the act) who were busily chopping out the $ 200 stereo from
the dash and completely ignored the $ 30,000 in instruments in the
back of the station wagon. ("Hey Larry, what's a 'spectrum analyser'?"
"Gee Mo, I dunno. It's too heavy, leave it here.")

Ron Miller
{ihnp4}hpfcla!ron

("The only good burglar is the HAMburglar")

mike@hpfcla.UUCP (mike) (07/22/85)

I have the Nikon 10x? binoculars. They are excellent.
		Mike McNelly	hplabs!hpfcla!mike

rjs@hpfcla.UUCP (rjs) (07/24/85)

GOOD LUCK with those TRW a*s h*les!!! I had a run in with them a couple
of years ago. The student loan department at my school was a little slow
in returning some forms to the bank where I received my student loan.
Anyway, to make a long story short, the bank informed TRW that I was a
dead beat. When the bank got the forms from school they revised my
status. However, TRW proved to be incapable of updating their records.
It took about 15 phone calls to TRW, my bank, etc. and about 6 months
before TRW finally got around to correcting the mistake. My bank had to
submit information to TRW 3 times before they got it right!!

Bob Schneider
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!hpfclo!rjs

ron@hpfcla.UUCP (ron) (07/25/85)

Re: Store Hours

Well, it seems that in upstate NY that religion does not write the law.

BUT in "The Old Dominion"  alias Virginia there is still a great battle
between church and state going on.  When I left Virginia Beach, Virginia
two years ago it was still illegal for most stores to be open at anytime
on Sundays.  The battle cry for continuation of these laws was:
"Let's keep Sundays for families"  (or something like that).

As a member of that venerable Armed Service which took me out to the
salty limits of the globe (when "deployed") and kept me on board the
ship for 1 out of 3 days for the entire 24 hours (i.e. no going home)
it was not amusing to be on the ship Saturday and then be unable to
buy the necessities of life on Sunday.

I was glad to leave that state. It's pretty but it sure could use some
enlightenment into the ways of the 20th century.

Ron Miller
Hewlett-Packard
Ft. Collins Systems Division
Ft. Collins, Colorado  ("A LONG way from the ocean")

at : {ihnp4} hpfcla!ron

PS: What OTHER state in the Union is in direct violation of the Soldiers
and Sailor Relief Act?( which says that a state where a service member is
ordered to cannot tax the service member's income if that member is a
citizen of a different state)

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (ajs) (08/03/85)

> Rocks, sand and cactus?  That's one way to keep kids from playing
> in your yard.

Wanna bet?  They throw the rocks at the cactus and kick the sand out all
over the driveway.

Seriously, I have a lot of rock gardens with 3/4"-gravel base, plenty of
yucca plants, junipers, thorny raspberries, and logs.  The kids in the
neighborhood still like to kick rocks into the lawn and street, run
through the rocks, toss around the logs, etc.

Alan Silverstein

wisen@inmet.UUCP (09/17/85)

    I would like to know something about the ecology of roaches
(what they eat, where they sleep, where they lay eggs, etc.)
so that, in addition to killing them,
I can do whatever is necessary to make them feel unwelcome.
Are there any entomologists or armchair biologists out there who
can comment?
----Thanx in advance
						.
						|\
	------Bruce Wisentaner		       /| \
	          			      / |  \
	ihnp4!inmet!wisen	 o	     /  |   \
	        		 ^_.       _/___|=====
				O\/`O	     \_______/]
						\_(

ayers@convexs.UUCP (09/18/85)

>Goop & gojo are great but grating your fingernails over a bar of soap
>before you get dirty keeps them from getting dirty in the first place.

That's what every "handy hint" column in the world says, but I've
never been able to get it too work (yes, I've even packed it in)

("Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore...")

					:::::::::::::::::::
						::
						::
					   ::::::::::::
						::
						::
					:::::::::::::::::::
					::		 ::
					::  :::::::::::	 ::
					::	     /	 ::
					::		 ::
					::  :::::::::::	 ::
					::	     /	 ::
					::		 ::

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (09/20/85)

>    I would like to know something about the ecology of roaches
>(what they eat, where they sleep, where they lay eggs, etc.)
>						|\

Having had the misfortune of once living in an apartment that was
severely infested with the creatures, I learned a fair bit about
what they do.

They generally nest and sleep in crevasses and cracks - under baseboards,
behind refrigerators, and so on.  I think they will eat *anything*.

To make them feel unwelcome, keep *all* food products in air-tight
plastic or glass containers.  (They'll still find plenty to eat, no
doubt, but at least you won't open a box of cereal and find a little
roach looking up at you.)  And keep kitchen and bathroom counters,
floors, and sinks clean.  (It might not help, but you'll feel like
you're doing something about the problem.)

If the infestation is severe, it will probably take a professional to
get rid of them.  (And if you're in an apartment, the whole building
will have to be treated!)  Our apartment building was treated every
six weeks for several months before the problem was under control.

If the infestation is less severe, boric acid sprinkled liberally anywhere
you would expect the creatures to be should help.  Bay leaves are also
said to repel them, but I've never tried that.

		charli

midkiff@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (09/24/85)

I have also read that roaches will travel hundreds of feet a day to get
water so you should try and keep sinks and batchtubs dry.   This also
explains why the little devils always seem to be under that plate in the
sink or running up your legs in the shower!

Sam Midkiff

{ihnp4 | pur-ee }!uiucdcs!midkiff

keenan@inmet.UUCP (10/07/85)

Here is a summary of the responses I received from my query about
High-End TV's, often called monitor/receivers. Thanks to everyone who
replied, especially for the use of mail rather than posting to the net.

The original request:
> I'm looking for a TV receiver-monitor with these characteristics:
> 	* 19" color 		* Remote control
> 	* Quartz tuning 	* "cable" ready
> 	* comb filter 		* Stereo
> 	* RGB input 		* various VCR etc. inputs
> Basically everything. Consumers Digest recommended the Panasonic
> CTF2075 ($1050/$783), a 20" monitor with all the above features.
> What are the other makes and models should I look for? Is there
> anything wrong with the Panasonic?

I ended up buying a Panasonic CTF2077 for $750 and am very pleased with it,
supposedly the 2075 didn't have sterio. It sports the same variety of features
listed below for the other manufactorers. Now for the recommendations:

From: ihnp4!ukma!david (David Herron, NPR Lover)
There's this Hitachi that I have.  It's a 19" monitor.  Has 3 direct
video inputs, 2 using rca plugs and another using a squarish plug
that's supposed to be a standard plug for rgb.  It also doubles as
a high-res monitor, with 400 lines resolution.  It is cable ready.
Has a fancy tuner.  etc.  It costs $550 or so.  I don't think the
model I have is still on the market though.  Y'see, I bought it
last april, it was a demo model at Circuit City at $300.  But I'd
think that would just mean they have a better model on the market now.
And, no, I don't remember the model number, and I can't look at it
right now because it's in the shop having the tuner replaced.
--- David Herron
--- UUCP-> {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,oddjob}!anlams!ukma!david
---        {ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!cbosgd!ukma!david

From: ihnp4!otto!carl (Carl Shapiro)
WAIT!  Before you buy, check out the Sony XBR models (KV-20XBR, KV-25XBR).
These two (20" and 25") are by far the best consumer units I've seen.
They both have all the features you mentioned, and more.  In particular,
they have many inputs and outputs - including 3 video inputs and 2 RF inputs.
One of the video inputs has a separate external audio input, useful for
a tuner input for simulcasts, or for a laser video disc player with a
separate external CX decoder, etc.  One of the video inputs is on the front
of the unit for easy access.  Not only does it come with a remote control
(a great one, that allows changing inputs, hue, contrast, bass & treble,
balance (yes, it's stereo) and more) but two other remotes are available
as options:  1 has a clock in it to turn things on and off at preset times;
the other uses the IR to provide wireless headphones (any of the current
small headphones can plug into it).
   Resolution is 330 lines/inch with the RF inputs, and 400 (genuine) with
the video inputs.
   I bought the 25" model for $1050;  we just ordered 200 of the 20" units
for our videotex system and got them for ~$650 apiece.  Demand is such
that they may be hard to find, but believe me, they're worth waiting for.
   Of course, all current TVs will be obsolete in a year or so when vertical
line interpolation hits the market.
   Short of adopting the Japanese 2000-line HRTV standard, unlikely in
this country in the forseeable future, scan line interpolation and
full frame buffering are our only real hope for improved video picture
quality anytime soon.  Full frame buffering is better, but both look
very good in demonstrations.  Both have been developed to counteract
the effects of the interleaved scan broadcasts;  interpolation looked
good because it eliminated the need for storing an entire frame, but
as memory costs plummet, manufacturers have been delaying its introduction
with the hope of incorporating entire frame buffers at an affordable price.
   The technology is complete; the timing is now a marketing decision.  Last
year it looked like interpolation might make the Christmas market, but it
didn't, and this year I've heard nothing.  This makes me feel that they are
expecting 1M memory chips to appear soon enough to relieve the price pressure
on the 256K devices, enabling them to be used in consumer TVs either next
year or in '87 at the latest.
   I'm sorry that I can't give you any good references on this stuff, I have
come by it in bits and pieces.  To get the real story, you have to read
Japanese, which I don't.
Carl Shapiro
{ihnp4,sdcrdcf}!otto!carl

From: ihnp4!hplabs!atd!tra (Ted Asocks)
	Before purchasing the Panasonic, I would look at Sony Monitors,
especially the latest model with a "scan doubler".  I have yet to see
it but I understand it doubles the amount of horizontal scan lines by
interpolating a new line to fit between the original 2 lines.  Of course
this cannot double the resolution but it must make for some very good
color balance and picture improvement.  We use an industrial model of a
Sony, here at work, with a 'Trinitron' tube and it makes the best pictures.
	If you plan on buying, or already have a VCR why not just use
the tuner on that?  That way you don't duplicate tuners.
Ted Asocks     		UUCP :  {hplabs,ucbvax,turtlevax}!atd!tra

From: ihnp4!tektronix!zeus!hercules!billh
Stereo Super Stores has had the Panasonic CTF2075 available in the
Portland, Oregon area for ~$500.  I bought one and it's a real nice
set.
tektronix!teklds!billh

From: harvard!seismo!utah-gr.UTAH-CS!utah-cs!utah-gr!thomas (Spencer W. Thomas) <thomas@utah-.UUCP>
I've looked (but not too hard) at both the high-end Sony (I forget the
"initials") and Fisher TVs.  Both of them seem to have the features you
are looking for, and are in the same price range.  A friend who repairs
TVs for a living strongly recommends Sony TVs as needing little repair.
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)

Thanks again for the replies,
--keenan ross		UUCP:     {bellcore,ima,ihnp4}!inmet!keenan
 Intermetrics, Inc.	INTERNET: ima!inmet!keenan@CCA-UNIX.ARPA
 733 Concord Ave.
 Cambridge, MA  02138	PHONE:    (617) 661-1840

chan@hpfcla.UUCP (10/29/85)

> With people like this around, it is always encouraging to be
> reminded of the increasing number of hunting accidents each year...

> Did any of the local wildlife try to gun you down when you
> moved in on their property?

I don't condone shooting birds, but unless you have never

	o Swatted an insect  or
	o Eaten meat

then I don't think you can be so morally indignant. Did any
of those cows and chickens you munched upon try to buy a McHuman at
the local fast-food joint? Do you only stick up for the rights
of "cute" or "wild" animals?

		Irreverently Yours,

			Chan Benson
			{ihnp4 | hplabs}!hpfcla!chan
			Hewlett-Packard Company
			Fort Collins, CO
			(303) 226-3800 x3892

As usual, HP has nothing to do with what I say here.

pjc8916@ritcv.UUCP (Drool Rockworm) (11/05/85)

In article <17000014@hpfcmt.UUCP> chan@hpfcla.UUCP writes:

>> With people like this around, it is always encouraging to be
>> reminded of the increasing number of hunting accidents each year...
>
>> Did any of the local wildlife try to gun you down when you
>> moved in on their property?
>
>I don't condone shooting birds, but unless you have never
>
>	o Swatted an insect  or
>	o Eaten meat
>
>then I don't think you can be so morally indignant. Did any
>of those cows and chickens you munched upon try to buy a McHuman at
>the local fast-food joint? Do you only stick up for the rights
>of "cute" or "wild" animals?
>
>		Irreverently Yours,
>
>			Chan Benson

Well, here I find someone I TOTALLY agree with. It seems wildlife supporters
seem to be in their prime when they talk about bunny rabbits and little birds,
but far be it for them to object when they eat a steak. Its time they take
some of the responsibility for their pleasures.

Yes , this probably belongs in net.flame, but what self repecting nature
lover would read that???

carey@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/08/85)

>Well, here I find someone I TOTALLY agree with. It seems wildlife supporters
>seem to be in their prime when they talk about bunny rabbits and little birds,
>but far be it for them to object when they eat a steak. Its time they take
>some of the responsibility for their pleasures.

/* End of text from uiucdcs:net.consumers */

OK, it's a deal.  Any woodpeckers you shoot, with a shotgun, pellet gun, or
slingshot, you have to eat.  Sorry I don't have any recipes.

rcook@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (11/20/85)

DAK has ALOT of customers, making some items in high demand.  I have
purchased a few items from their catalogs and am very pleased. I had
to wait a few months on the Olivetti printer because it was in such
high demand.  They seem to treat their customers VERY well, giving
a 30 day trial on ALL items.

I recommend them HIGHLY!!!

	 Rob Cook

UUCP:	 {ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!rcook

      'Life is just a cocktail party on the street'
			-Mick Jagger-

rcook@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (11/20/85)

I've sent back several items to DAK, and had immediate credit on my VISA
account..

DAK really is a respectable corporation, and I recommend them highly.

	 Rob Cook

UUCP:	 {ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!rcook

      'Life is just a cocktail party on the street'
			-Mick Jagger-

rjn@hpfcla.UUCP (12/11/85)

re: "What was Ponzi's full name?"

You may not need to know.  Ponzi and pyramid schemes are different.

Ponzi:    Usually  a junk bond (or stock)  scam where last week's  investors
	  are paid out of this  week's  sales of bonds or stock.  No product
	  or reinvestment is necessarily involved.  You head for Brazil when
	  your  cash on hand  peaks.  A  recent  example  of a Ponzi  is the
	  lactic  culture  scam, where people who thought  they were selling
	  their milk mold for  cosmetics  were  actually  being  paid out of
	  sales of "starter kits" to new clients.  The U.S.  Social Security
	  System is also a Ponzi.

Pyramid:  A widening  heirarchy of  "distributors",  where the real money is
	  made by signing up new distributors  and not by selling  products.
	  A chain letter is a classic pyramid scheme.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                            3404 East Harmony Road
[ihnp4|hplabs]!hpfcla!rjn                             Fort Collins CO  80525

PS. No, I don't know his full name.

rjp392@uiucuxf.CSO.UIUC.EDU (01/29/86)

/* Written 10:27 am  Dec 28, 1985 by larry@kitty.UUCP in uiucuxf:net.consumers */
> I've never been asked for my zip, but am often asked for my
> complete address.  And my name.  Even when I'm paying cash.
> (In the Chicago area the 2 top harrassers are Marshall Field's,
> a large, posh dept. store, and of course, the ubiquitous Radio
> Shack.)  Anyway, I find these intrusions into my privacy very
> rude, and say so to the cashiers.

[ Etc. ]

	Like you, I used to get aggrivated when asked for my name and address
for a $ 3.00 purchase at Radio Shack.  So rather than argue with the clerk, I
thought I would have some fun in return: I generally give a name of a famous
criminal, adding a Jr. or III as appropriate, along with a phony address.
	I can *assure* you that Radio Shack is doing their best to send
catalogs to Al Capone III in Buffalo, New York...

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
/* End of text from uiucuxf:net.consumers */

Better yet, why not give your address as "1060 West Addison St., Chicago."
(Better known as Wrigley Field.)

		Russell J. Price
		{ihnp4, pur-ee, convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxa!uiucuxf!rjp392
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                       New address
		rjp392@uiucuxf.CSO.UIUC.EDU

rjp392@uiucuxf.CSO.UIUC.EDU (01/29/86)

The final step:
        GO TO JAIL.  Go directly to jail.  Do not pass GO, do not collect $200!

:-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)
		Russell J. Price
		{ihnp4, pur-ee, convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxa!uiucuxf!rjp392
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                        New address....
                rjp392@uiucuxf.CSO.UIUC.EDU

aer@alice.UucP (D. Rosenberg) (01/30/86)

Radio Shack wants your address so they can put you on their catalog mailing
list. At every Radio Shack I've been to, I just tell the salesperson I'm
already on the mailing list, and they leave me alone.

#D. Rosenberg "Disclaimer: I'd never want to hurt anyone with My Opinions"
#(..{ihnp4,research,allegra}!alice!aer)

kimery@wdl1.UUCP (02/01/86)

/***** wdl1:net.consumers / alice!aer / 10:48 am  Jan 30, 1986*/
Subject: Re: Orphaned Response (Radio Shack harrassment)

Radio Shack wants your address so they can put you on their catalog mailing
list. At every Radio Shack I've been to, I just tell the salesperson I'm
already on the mailing list, and they leave me alone.

if you tell the person behind the counter that you do not wish to give
your name and address (provided you pay with cash) and tell him/her
that you wish the sale to be marked as "cash" or you'll take your business
else where.  This works.  Although Radio Shack (the Corp.) states that all
sales must have a name and address, Most store managers will let it slide
if you threaten to go else where.  Remember that all Radio Shack sales people
get commision (sp.) and the manager is dependant on the volume of sales
for the "Regional Manager of the month" award.

In short:
	Don't let them push you around.  Stand firm.

			Sam

aliu@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (02/13/86)

A couple of things that Radio Shack is good for (besides
discrete components) is rechargable batteries ($3.99 for a
package of 2 AA nicads, whereas GE ones are $6.99 regularly
and maybe $4.99 on sale) and video amplifiers (they ask for
about $15, while most places ask for $20 and up).  However, I
do agree that most other things are overpriced, especially
telephone accessories.

dnc@bonnie.UUCP (Don Corey) (02/14/86)

> ... However, I
> do agree that most other things are overpriced, especially
> telephone accessories.

I needed to buy some coiled line cords a few months ago. While all of the cords
I looked at had four connector jacks on them, some of them only had two wires
in the cord. Radio Shacks cord had four wires. A telephone only uses two wires,
but I needed four wires for my application. Just as an aside, one of the three
cords I bought from Radio Shack was defective.
--
Don Corey
AT&T Bell Laboratories

edg@micropro.UUCP (Ed Greenberg) (02/26/86)

In article <714@bonnie.UUCP> dnc@bonnie.UUCP (Don Corey) writes:
>I needed to buy some coiled line cords a few months ago. While all of the cords
>I looked at had four connector jacks on them, some of them only had two wires
>in the cord. Radio Shacks cord had four wires. A telephone only uses two wires,
>but I needed four wires for my application. Just as an aside, one of the three
>cords I bought from Radio Shack was defective.
>Don Corey
>AT&T Bell Laboratories

My telephone, (A Western Electric 2500 set with the ubiquitous
"BELL SYSTEM PROPERTY -- NOT FOR SALE" stampted in the baseplate, has
four wires running from the modular connector in the handset to the four
connection points (two each for mouthpiece and earpiece.)

Most every telephone I know of had the same connection.  Most standard
sets have one wire each from the earpiece and mouthpiece connected to
the same screw on the network box (I forget which one.)  Thus, a set
could actually be wired with a 3 conducter cord and a jumper in the
earpiece.  I have never seen a telephone set with two wires for the
handset.  (I've never even seen one with 3.)

Taco Bell:  Part of the nationwide Bell System!
--
Ed Greenberg			| {hplabs,glacier}!well!micropro!edg
MicroPro International Corp.	|  {ucbvax,decwrl}!dual!micropro!edg

todd@mit-amt.MIT.EDU (Hisashi Todd Fujinaka) (02/28/86)

OOPS.  Forgot to quote the last guy.

Well, the gist of his posting was: All phones use four wire cords that
go from the wall to your phone.

But phones really only need two wires (more if you use the "old style"
lighted dials, or if you have one of the old party lines).  When we
went to the ATT Phone Center, we bought a ATT trimline that had a TWO
wire cable.

It makes sense to have all four wire "just in case".  What if you have
one of the old Bell-style party lines?  They need three wires.

Todd Fujinaka

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (03/05/86)

In article <237@micropro.UUCP> edg@micropro.UUCP (Ed Greenberg) writes:
>In article <714@bonnie.UUCP> dnc@bonnie.UUCP (Don Corey) writes:
>>I needed to buy some coiled line cords a few months ago. While all of the cords
>>I looked at had four connector jacks on them, some of them only had two wires
>>in the cord. Radio Shacks cord had four wires. A telephone only uses two wires,
>>but I needed four wires for my application. Just as an aside, one of the three
>>cords I bought from Radio Shack was defective.
>>Don Corey
>>AT&T Bell Laboratories
>
>My telephone, (A Western Electric 2500 set with the ubiquitous
>"BELL SYSTEM PROPERTY -- NOT FOR SALE" stampted in the baseplate, has
>four wires running from the modular connector in the handset to the four
>connection points (two each for mouthpiece and earpiece.)
>
>Most every telephone I know of had the same connection.  Most standard
>sets have one wire each from the earpiece and mouthpiece connected to
>the same screw on the network box (I forget which one.)  Thus, a set
>could actually be wired with a 3 conducter cord and a jumper in the
>earpiece.  I have never seen a telephone set with two wires for the
>handset.  (I've never even seen one with 3.)
>
>Taco Bell:  Part of the nationwide Bell System!
>--

	Every time I've moved, I've wired up the new phones in my new house,
and I've done it for friends, too - and I have never had to use more than two
wires for any phone - even in a two-line house.

--
					--MKR

If Man were meant to use the metric system, Jesus would have had
10 disciples.

carl@sdcsvax.UUCP (Carl Lowenstein) (03/07/86)

In article <584@mmm.UUCP> mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) writes:
>In article <237@micropro.UUCP> edg@micropro.UUCP (Ed Greenberg) writes:
>>In article <714@bonnie.UUCP> dnc@bonnie.UUCP (Don Corey) writes:
>>>I needed to buy some coiled line cords a few months ago. While all of the cords
>>>I looked at had four connector jacks on them, some of them only had two wires
>>>in the cord. Radio Shacks cord had four wires. A telephone only uses two wires,
>>>but I needed four wires for my application.
>>My telephone, (A Western Electric 2500 set with the ubiquitous
>>"BELL SYSTEM PROPERTY -- NOT FOR SALE" stampted in the baseplate, has
>>four wires running from the modular connector in the handset to the four
>>connection points (two each for mouthpiece and earpiece.)

Some of us are talking about the cord from the base unit to the handset
(4 wires), others are talking about the cord from the base unit to the
outside world (4 wires, 2 necessary).

ed@texsun.UUCP (03/09/86)

/* Written  5:00 pm  Feb 25, 1986 by edg@micropro.UUCP in texsun:net.consumers */
/* ---------- "Re: Orphaned Response (Radio Shack" ---------- */
In article <714@bonnie.UUCP> dnc@bonnie.UUCP (Don Corey) writes:
>I needed to buy some coiled line cords a few months ago. While all of the cords
>I looked at had four connector jacks on them, some of them only had two wires
>in the cord. Radio Shacks cord had four wires. A telephone only uses two wires,
>but I needed four wires for my application. Just as an aside, one of the three
>cords I bought from Radio Shack was defective.
>Don Corey
>AT&T Bell Laboratories

My telephone, (A Western Electric 2500 set with the ubiquitous
"BELL SYSTEM PROPERTY -- NOT FOR SALE" stampted in the baseplate, has
four wires running from the modular connector in the handset to the four
connection points (two each for mouthpiece and earpiece.)

Most every telephone I know of had the same connection.  Most standard
sets have one wire each from the earpiece and mouthpiece connected to
the same screw on the network box (I forget which one.)  Thus, a set
could actually be wired with a 3 conducter cord and a jumper in the
earpiece.  I have never seen a telephone set with two wires for the
handset.  (I've never even seen one with 3.)

Taco Bell:  Part of the nationwide Bell System!
--
Ed Greenberg			| {hplabs,glacier}!well!micropro!edg
MicroPro International Corp.	|  {ucbvax,decwrl}!dual!micropro!edg
San Rafael, California		|       {lll-crg,ptsfa}!micropro!edg
/* End of text from texsun:net.consumers */