[net.consumers] check guarantee cards

ljdickey@watmath.UUCP (Lee Dickey) (08/27/84)

Mark Callow, in writing about government ID cards, mentions:
> Other than making sure I took my cheque guarantee card when
> going shopping, I never ever carried any form of ID in Britain.

The British cheque guarantee cards are marvelous things.
They allow the holder to cash a check at every major bank in Britain,
no matter which bank carries the account and issued the card.
To use such a card, you had to have your own personalize checks and
your card issued by the same bank.  When you use the card for id,
you give up the right to stop payment on the check.  The advantage
for a merchant is that it gives complete security in accepting your
check.  But that is not all.

It also allows you to cash checks at many major banks in Europe...
guaranteed within a certain group of member banks in participating
countries.  Because of the popularity of the system, many banks
outside the group and also outside the defined set of countries
accept the cards, because the make a commission on the exchange
and incur little risk in dealing with you, a trusted holder of
a checking account.

kolling@decwrl.DEC.COM (Karen Kolling) (02/24/86)

It's been my experience that in New England personal checks
are almost never accepted by merchants.  In Calif., a driver's
license and a "major credit card" makes a personal check
acceptable virtually every place.  (Also, I have the vague
impression that there's now some sort of instantaneous credit check
available by phone, keyed on the driver's license number, in many
places that I shop;  but this is just based on random impressions
I've gotten when I'm standing around with my mind shut off in a
checkout line.)

rep@grkermi.UUCP (Pete Peterson) (02/26/86)

In article <1308@decwrl.DEC.COM> kolling@decwrl.DEC.COM (Karen Kolling) writes:

>It's been my experience that in New England personal checks
>are almost never accepted by merchants.  In Calif., a driver's
>license and a "major credit card" makes a personal check
>acceptable virtually every place.  (Also, I have the vague
>impression that there's now some sort of instantaneous credit check
>available by phone, keyed on the driver's license number, in many
>places that I shop;  but this is just based on random impressions
>I've gotten when I'm standing around with my mind shut off in a
>checkout line.)

I can't speak for other parts of New England, but I have never had any problem
with acceptance of personal checks in the Eastern Massachusetts area.  If you
buy a house or car, they tend to want bank checks; otherwise, a driver's
license usually suffices (sometimes large department stores want "major
credit card" also) except for some grocery chains which want you to have
one of their check-cashing ID cards.  The supermarket where I shop takes
checks without asking for any ID at all!

The worst place I found for check acceptance was the Phoenix area.  When I
moved there from Mass., I was shocked at how reluctant people were to accept
personal checks, even with reasonable ID.

king@kestrel.ARPA (Dick King) (03/03/86)

   From: kolling@decwrl.DEC.COM (Karen Kolling)
   Newsgroups: net.consumers
   Date: 24 Feb 86 05:19:57 GMT

   It's been my experience that in New England personal checks
   are almost never accepted by merchants.  In Calif., a driver's
   license and a "major credit card" makes a personal check
   acceptable virtually every place.

I understand that at least part of the reason for this is that
California's laws are really rough on people who pass bad paper.

						(Also, I have the vague
   impression that there's now some sort of instantaneous credit check
   available by phone, keyed on the driver's license number, in many
   places that I shop;  but this is just based on random impressions
   I've gotten when I'm standing around with my mind shut off in a
   checkout line.)

There is.  It's called TeleCredit or TeleCheck or something like that.
Their logo is a red checkmark.  It costs the merchant 2% to use it,
which is why they usually don't when you have other ID.  If a merchant
gets a TeleCredit authorization number than that company will pay any
bad checks.

-dick

ansok@spp3.UUCP (Gary Ansok) (03/03/86)

Perhaps surprisingly, many places will take your ATM card as if it
were a check guarantee card.  I did this occasionally when I was a
student and therefore not worthy of credit.  If that became widespread,
that could explain why some places stopped accepting check guarantee cards.

Also, some check guarantee cards are only valid if the merchant has a
prior agreement with the bank.  I don't know if they still are, but
I believe Bank of America was like this at one point.

		Gary Ansok
		{hplabs,ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!trwrb!trwspp!spp3!ansok

Everything on this silly planet is a distraction.  That's why I moved.

rt@cpsc53.UUCP (Ron Thompson) (03/06/86)

> >It's been my experience that in New England personal checks
> >are almost never accepted by merchants.  In Calif., a driver's
> >license and a "major credit card" makes a personal check
> >acceptable virtually every place.  (Also, I have the vague
> >impression that there's now some sort of instantaneous credit check
> >available by phone, keyed on the driver's license number, in many
> >places that I shop;  but this is just based on random impressions
> >I've gotten when I'm standing around with my mind shut off in a
> >checkout line.)

Check cashing policy must be in some way connected to the locale
and clientel. During my extended stay in Florida last year,
I was shocked at how easy it was to have an out of state personal
check accepted by merchants - they were often more readily
accepted than in my own home town! I am told this is because
of the large number of tourists that make up a significant portion
of total sales. New England - bah! A rather clannish section of
the country that regards all strangers with distrust and depends
little on out of state business.
--
  Ron Thompson		AT&T Information Systems	Customer Programming
  (404) 982-4217        Atlanta, Georgia		Services Center

holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) (03/10/86)

>New England - bah! A rather clannish section of
>the country that regards all strangers with distrust and depends
>little on out of state business.

Wait a second -- I grew up in New England! I lived the first part of my life
in Southern Massachusetts, right next to Rhode Island, then moved to New
Hampshire, and then a bit over to the border with Maine. My sister goes to
school in Vermont, so I know a bit about New England.

Where do you get your ideas about New Englanders? I moved from New Hampshire
to California, and I've never met such an unfriendly and uninviting set of
people in my entire life. Give me New England any day. I'd move back if I
could.

Tourism is one of New England's largest sources of income, especially Northern
New England. We're desperate for out of state business. And you'd be
surprised at the number of Florida license plates we see.

It wasn't until I moved to California that I found that unless you had a credit
card of some sort, cash was the best way of doing business. Imagine my shock
when I found that even local checks were rarely accepted unless I had some
plastic, a license, and preferably some other sort of ID as well. In New
Hampshire, only malls really required all that ID.

|Whatever I write are not the opinions or policies of Digital Research, Inc.,|
|and probably won't be in the foreseeable future.                            |

Bruce Holloway

....!ucbvax!hplabs!amdahl!drivax!holloway
(I'm not THAT Bruce Holloway, I'm the other one.)