[net.consumers] By the Way, How To Find Out about My Credit Rating -so to speak

tpl@hou2b.UUCP (T.LEE) (02/15/86)

These many "Sears" discussions prompt me a question of how to find
out about my own credit report.  Obviously, I am assuming that
we consumers have the right to know that.  Any simple means from the
net? This might be useful to see what's being known about me by the
"public" (well, need-to-know basis and with your SS#) and who wrote
bad things about me - next-to-last landlord?
	T. Paul Lee
	...!hou2b!tpl
	ATT BL - Holmdel

grampa@gitpyr.UUCP (Mark W Fouraker) (02/17/86)

In article <709@hou2b.UUCP> tpl@hou2b.UUCP (T.LEE) writes:
>These many "Sears" discussions prompt me a question of how to find
>out about my own credit report.

Ask your personnel office for the number they call to check on new applicants.
I did this in Atlanta and found out that it would cost me $7.50.  That's a lot
of gass so I didn't do it.
                    Happy Trails,
                              Mark

--
"Never try to teach a pig to sing.  It's a waste of time and annoys the pig."

Mark W Fouraker
Budget Office - 209 Knowles Building
Office phone: (404) 894-5558
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!grampa

heneghan@ihlpf.UUCP (Heneghan) (02/17/86)

> These many "Sears" discussions prompt me a question of how to find
> out about my own credit report.  Obviously, I am assuming that
> we consumers have the right to know that.  Any simple means from the
> net? This might be useful to see what's being known about me by the
> "public" (well, need-to-know basis and with your SS#) and who wrote
> bad things about me - next-to-last landlord?

Buy a new car and the business agent gets an immediate readout of
your life.
						Joe Heneghan

pdg@ihdev.UUCP (P. D. Guthrie) (02/17/86)

In article <709@hou2b.UUCP> tpl@hou2b.UUCP (T.LEE) writes:
>These many "Sears" discussions prompt me a question of how to find
>out about my own credit report.  Obviously, I am assuming that
>we consumers have the right to know that.  Any simple means from the
>net? This might be useful to see what's being known about me by the
>"public" (well, need-to-know basis and with your SS#) and who wrote
>bad things about me - next-to-last landlord?
>	T. Paul Lee
>	...!hou2b!tpl
>	ATT BL - Holmdel

Most local credit bureaus will tell you for a fee (about $40 at the one
I used to work at) and some even do credit consulting to tell you how to
``erase'' bad credit.  It may seem like a lot, but they have to pay a
fortune to tap into TransAmerica credit data banks.  One thing about
this is that it mainly contains information about bad credit, and for
instance a person who has spent their whole life paying cash for
everything (yes those people exist) have no credit rating, although in
theory, they are a very low credit risk.  It is therefor good to have a
couple of credit cards, and to take out a loan for something you may be
able to afford right off, just to ``up'' your credit rating.
--

Paul Guthrie				`When the going gets weird,
ihnp4!ihdev!pdg				 The weird turn pro'

silber@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Jeffrey Silber) (02/20/86)

You can ask your local credit bureau to show you your record.  They cannot
refuse, although they can charge you a fee.  They are required to investigate
any items you contest and cannot publicize those items while being investigated.
Also, a way to see this is to be turned down for credit ... after that they
must show it to you for free.

I think that this is federal law, but I am definitely sure about New York.

A million here, a million there ... they all add up.

Jeffrey A. Silber              silber@devvax.tn.cornell.edu
Business Manager               JAS@CORNELLD
Center for Theory & Simulation {decvax,ihnp4,cmcl2,vax135}!cornell!devvax!silber
   in Science & Engineering    265 Olin Hall
Cornell University             Ithaca, NY  14853

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (02/21/86)

> You can ask your local credit bureau to show you your record.  They cannot
> refuse, although they can charge you a fee.  They are required to investigate
> any items you contest and cannot publicize those items while being investigated.
> Also, a way to see this is to be turned down for credit ... after that they
> must show it to you for free.

Two warnings:

	1. If you ask to see a copy of your file, you will discover that
	   the last item on it is probably "asked to see copy of file."
	   How this affects institutions to whom you may subsequently
	   apply for credit is anybody's guess, but I recall a newspaper
	   story that mentioned a court case that decided that a landlord
	   had the right to refuse to rent apartments to attorneys on
	   the grounds that they would be more likely to cause trouble
	   for him than tenants in other professions.

	2. If you are turned down for credit and therefore ask for a
	   freebie, you will find that the last two items will be
	   "turned down for credit" and "asked to see copy of file."
	   This, of course, is only a problem if they wouldn't have known
	   you had been turned down otherwise.  Of course, the only way
	   to find out if they would have known is to avoid telling them
	   and see if it's there anyway.  But if you avoid telling them,
	   you've got to pay to see the file.

elric@proper.UUCP (Elric of Imrryr) (03/11/86)

>> You can ask your local credit bureau to show you your record.  They cannot
>> refuse, although they can charge you a fee.  They are required to investigate
>> any items you contest and cannot publicize those items while being investigated.
>> Also, a way to see this is to be turned down for credit ... after that they
>> must show it to you for free.
>
>Two warnings:
>
>	1. If you ask to see a copy of your file, you will discover that
>	   the last item on it is probably "asked to see copy of file."
>	   How this affects institutions to whom you may subsequently
>	   apply for credit is anybody's guess, but I recall a newspaper

I have dealt with CBI (nasty nasty people). They keep of list of every
company that asks about your credit in your files & the dats they ask.
I was turned down for credit because, 5 other companys had seen my
report last month.
I have also found that you can have $3000 in paid debt & good credit, and
$145 in bad debts will cancell that out.

	Beware of CBI, they have a rep of not check if there facts are facts,
it pays to keep an eye on them.

|    Elric of Imrryr               |
| Lunatic Laboratories Unltd.      |
|    ...ucbvax!dual!proper!elric   |