[net.consumers] AMC/RENAULT Alliance

bdb@edsel.UUCP (BD Bolan) (02/22/86)

I saw an article asking about the AMC/RENUALT Alliance.  I was wondering
what some of the responses were.  If the construction quailty was up to
par, how the engine horsepower is and if it is "improved" as advertised.

Most important what there prospective relialability should be.  I know
they had brake problems in the past.  Anything else to look out for??

Please mail me your responses

thanks,

Brian Bolan

bdb@edsel.UUCP (BD Bolan) (02/22/86)

It seems that I forgot to give my path to send responses

edsel!bdb

you know how it is on friday at quitting time!!

Brian

mikei@hammer.UUCP (Michael IsBell) (02/23/86)

> I saw an article asking about the AMC/RENUALT Alliance.  I was wondering
> what some of the responses were.  If the construction quailty was up to
> par, how the engine horsepower is and if it is "improved" as advertised.
>
> Most important what there prospective relialability should be.  I know
> they had brake problems in the past.  Anything else to look out for??
>
> Please mail me your responses
>
> thanks,
>
> Brian Bolan

About three years ago my father-in-law purchased the aforementioned
auto because it was supposedly "Car of the Year" in somebody's book.
He has had so many problems with it that he can't find one good
thing to say about it. He's had it in the shop twice for the
transmission with very expensive repair costs both times. I can't
remember all the other things, but there's a bunch. The topper is
that he purchased the additional warranty deal and yet almost
all the problems were excluded from coverage. He's thoroughly
disgusted with it.

--

Michael IsBell
..!tektronix!tekecs!mikei

[ These opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those
of my employer, my wife, my kids, or my cats. (Well, maybe my cats.)]
(503) 685-2990

vms@ihlpm.UUCP (Palmatier) (03/04/86)

> > I saw an article asking about the AMC/RENUALT Alliance.  I was wondering
> > what some of the responses were.  If the construction quailty was up to
> > par, how the engine horsepower is and if it is "improved" as advertised.
> >
> > Most important what there prospective relialability should be.  I know
> > they had brake problems in the past.  Anything else to look out for??
> >
> > Please mail me your responses
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Brian Bolan
>

> About three years ago my father-in-law purchased the aforementioned
> auto because it was supposedly "Car of the Year" in somebody's book.
> He has had so many problems with it that he can't find one good
> thing to say about it. He's had it in the shop twice for the
> transmission with very expensive repair costs both times. I can't
> remember all the other things, but there's a bunch. The topper is
> that he purchased the additional warranty deal and yet almost
> all the problems were excluded from coverage. He's thoroughly
> disgusted with it.
>

> --

In regaurds to the above:

I own a 85 Encore. I have had it for just under a year and have had no
problems what so ever. I might add I took it on a road trip from Chicago
to Tampa, Fla. and got 45 mpg. I am very satisfied with it and hope to
trade it in on a newer model in another year.

	Vic AT&T Bell Labs  ihnp4!ihlpm!vms

tuba@ur-tut.UUCP (Jon Krueger) (03/07/86)

In article <1826@hammer.UUCP> mikei@hammer.UUCP (Michael IsBell) writes:
>About three years ago my father-in-law purchased the [AMC/RENUALT Alliance]
>because it was supposedly "Car of the Year" in somebody's book.
>He has had so many problems with it that he can't find one good
>thing to say about it . . . The topper is
>that he purchased the additional warranty deal and yet almost
>all the problems were excluded from coverage. He's thoroughly
>disgusted with it.

Sorry your father got burnt.  Hope others can learn from his experience.

Motor Trend "Car of the Year" == Motor Trend "Advertiser of the Year".

Additional warrenty: ask the man "what's wrong with the original warrenty?"
The majority of car complaints concern not the vehicle but the warrenty and
the in-warrenty service.  So shop for warrenties just as for the vehicle!
Call dealerships and have 'em mail you copies before you even visit the lot.

seb@mtgzy.UUCP (s.e.badian) (03/07/86)

	I present two more datapoints. I have a friend who owns an Alliance
and my sister owns an Escort (the same car with a different body).
Both of them adore their cars. My friend has had her Alliance for 2.5
years. My sister has had her Escort for 2 years. They have not had any
problems with their cars at all (except for my mother running into
my sister's car in the driveway).

Sharon Badian
ihnp4!mtgzy!seb

hijab@cad.UUCP (Raif Hijab) (03/09/86)

> 	I present two more datapoints. I have a friend who owns an Alliance
> and my sister owns an Escort (the same car with a different body).
>
> Sharon Badian
> ihnp4!mtgzy!seb

My impression is that the Alliance and the Escort are very different
cars. The Alliance, made by AMC, is a design of the French company
Renault. The Escort, made by Ford, is probably designed by Ford's
English or German subsidiary. At any rate, I am certain Ford has no
connection with Renault.

m55al@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Deepak Munjal) (03/10/86)

In article <92@cad.UUCP> hijab@cad.UUCP (Raif Hijab) writes:
>> 	I present two more datapoints. I have a friend who owns an Alliance
>> and my sister owns an Escort (the same car with a different body).
>>
>> Sharon Badian
>> ihnp4!mtgzy!seb
>
>My impression is that the Alliance and the Escort are very different
>cars. The Alliance, made by AMC, is a design of the French company
>Renault. The Escort, made by Ford, is probably designed by Ford's
>English or German subsidiary. At any rate, I am certain Ford has no
>connection with Renault.

I think she meant the Renault Encore.  My dad has one, and he really
likes it.  Excellent mileage, roomy, fun to drive, but poor acceleration.

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (03/11/86)

In article <1645@mtgzy.UUCP> seb@mtgzy.UUCP writes:
>	I present two more datapoints. I have a friend who owns an Alliance
>and my sister owns an Escort (the same car with a different body).
>Both of them adore their cars. My friend has had her Alliance for 2.5
>years. My sister has had her Escort for 2 years. They have not had any
>problems with their cars at all (except for my mother running into
>my sister's car in the driveway).
>
>Sharon Badian

Before I go any further, I think you should know that your sister owns an
ENCORE, not an Escort.  Again: ENCORE, as in Alliance-Without-A-Trunk,
as opposed to Escort, an excessively popular car/an excessively popular
law-enforcement-evasion accessory.  How dare you confuse a Renault with
a Real Ford/Cincinnati Microwave product.  :-)

Oh, right, my own datapoints.  Well, I've only looked closely at two
Alliances; the first had incredibly poor fit and finish (we're talking
misaligned door panels here, folks) and the second, well, although there
wasn't anything intrinsically wrong with it, it could give the family Dodge
Aries a run-for-the-money for `blah car of the year' award.

I won't go into details, but suffice it to say that two friends of mine
discovered empirically that the sheetmetal used in the Alliance/Encore is
not even remotely a match for the sheetmetal used in the Olds Firenza, one
of its competitors.  To paraphrase a great Madison Avenue philosopher, "better
get Maaco..."

-dave

--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

ARPA n. [acronym for Advanced Research Projects Agency.]  An agency of the
	U.S. Department of Defense established in 1968 to test its defenses
	against misuse and piracy in the large-scale distributed processing
	environment.
			-Stan Kelly-Bootle, "The Devil's DP Dictionary"

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (03/11/86)

In article <30@ur-tut.UUCP> tuba@ur-tut.UUCP (Jon Krueger) writes:
>In article <1826@hammer.UUCP> mikei@hammer.UUCP (Michael IsBell) writes:
>>                      . . . The topper is
>>that he purchased the additional warranty deal and yet almost
>>all the problems were excluded from coverage.
>
>Additional warrenty: ask the man "what's wrong with the original warrenty?"
>The majority of car complaints concern not the vehicle but the warrenty and
>the in-warrenty service.  So shop for warrenties just as for the vehicle!
>Call dealerships and have 'em mail you copies before you even visit the lot.

I had the same experience when I made the mistake of  buying  a  Fiat.  The
warranty  had  a  clause stating that "wear items" weren't covered and gave
what seemed a reasonable, but not exhaustive,  list  (light  bulbs,  tires,
etc.).  When  it came time for warranty repairs, suddenly the whole car was
a "wear item".  Virtually nothing was covered.

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.     Geniuses are people so lazy they
Santa Monica, CA  90405   do everything right the first time.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe