[net.consumers] Warranty Questionnaire

doit@ihlpa.UUCP (Roeseler) (03/03/86)

Recently we bought a play yard for our baby and a transistor radio.

For both products we had to fill out a warranty questionnaire.
Besides being asked "Where did you learn about the product," "Where
did you buy it" etc., we were also asked in both cases "Do you own
a home computer?"

This question has nothing to do with the product. Does anybody
know why they asked this and what they are doing with the information?

	Armin Roeseler 		...ihnp4!ihlpa!doit

km@hp-lsd.UUCP (km) (03/04/86)

In a recent Sunday paper there was an offer for free coupons and samples from
an outfit called Select & Save.  All you had to do was fill out their handy
dandy survey form and mail it in (including your name and address of course).
By filling out the survey you would provide them with the following informa-
tion (among other things such as what type of cereal you eat):

- type of dwelling (apartment, home, etc.)
- number, age, and size of dogs
- number of people in your home
- ages of people in your home
- occupations of adults in your home (professional, homemaker, retired, etc.)
- amount spent on mail order purchases last year
- types of items purchased (electronics, sporting goods, etc.)
- activities in which you are interested (coin collecting, collectibles, art
  and antiques, fashion clothing, golf, home furnishing, home video, home
  workshop, hunting, photography, records/tape/stereo, skiing, stamp collect-
  ing, etc.)
- type of computer owned, if any
- if a computer is owned, is a modem also owned

Anybody know if Select & Save is on the up and up?  I have answered their
surveys before and received NO samples and only a few not real useful coupons.
This is the first time they have asked this many nosy questions.  Needless to
say, I did not respond...

                          Kathy Moser   {hplabs,ihnp4!hpfcla}!hp-lsd!km

km@hp-lsd.UUCP (km) (03/04/86)

> In a recent Sunday paper there was an offer for free coupons and samples from
> an outfit called Select & Save.  All you had to do was fill out their handy
> dandy survey form and mail it in (including your name and address of course).
> By filling out the survey you would provide them with [information on type
> of dwelling, number and size of dogs, whether or not you are likely to be
> home during the day, and expensive items you own].

I just realized that the reason I posted this may not be entirely obvious.
Please think twice before filling out a snoopy survey that includes your name
and address.  The information you provide may be for "marketing purposes", but
you may also be providing someone with an opportunity to relieve you of all
those expensive things you said you had...

                     Kathy Moser  {hplabs,ihnp4!hpfcla}!hp-lsd!km

mberns@ut-ngp.UUCP (Mark Bernstein) (03/04/86)

**

mfrs. do this for marketing studies; to determine the demographic and
buying habits of those purchasing their goods.  Also, I think, to
figure out if you'd be a likely prospect for inclusion on direct-mail
mailing lists for certain products or catalogs.  For instance,  buy
some high-tech electronic goods, end up on the mailing list for DAK,
or The Sharper Image.

--

Mark Bernstein, Univ of Texas at Austin, Speech Communication, Austin 78712
ARPA:  mberns@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU

ron@brl-smoke.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (03/10/86)

> an outfit called Select & Save.  All you had to do was fill out their handy
> dandy survey form and mail it in (including your name and address of course).
> By filling out the survey you would provide them with the following informa-
> tion (among other things such as what type of cereal you eat):

It's called market research and is on the up and up.  I don't know
about Select & Save specifically, but i've gotten two boxes.  Just samples
of things their clients probably give them as part of the fee for doing the
research.  Haven't noticed any adverse effects.  I used to work for a
market research company while in high school (ARB) and we sent people
fifty cents in the form of two quarters for filling out the surveys.
Some people actually mailed us back the quarters.  I worked in the second
edit area (where we marked up the forms so the data entry operators wouldn't
have to think, just type), and the quarters got pulled out before I ever
saw them.

-Ron

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Mr. Berry) (03/13/86)

Uh, seems to me folks that if I were a burgler, that questionaire
contains a necessary and sufficient list of things *I'D* like to know.

I mean "type and size of dogs"? Age and occupation of inhabitants
(Read: who's home when).  Hobbies--home video, computers (i.e. how
much valuable electronic equipment do you have?)  Collectibles? (valuable
stamps and coins, etc.)

Even if they ARE on the up-and-up, I don't give out this kind of info
to ANYBODY.  Who knows what kind of people work at that place?

			Scott Berry