[net.consumers] Mail Order Contact Lenses

gelman@mtuxo.UUCP (j.gelman) (03/14/86)

I remember seeing something a while back on how to buy contacts
direct from the distributer, or manufacturer. Since I tend to lose
or rip a lot of lenses, this sounded like a good way to save some bucks.
Anyone have any info?

				jack gelman
				mtuxo!gelman

adp@hp-sdd.UUCP (Tony Parkhurst) (03/17/86)

In article <1411@mtuxo.UUCP> gelman@mtuxo.UUCP (j.gelman) writes:
>I remember seeing something a while back on how to buy contacts
>direct from the distributer, or manufacturer. Since I tend to lose
>or rip a lot of lenses, this sounded like a good way to save some bucks.
>Anyone have any info?

     My wife works for a local contact lens distributer, and from what
I understand, at least in this area, by law, a perscription is required
to purchase contact lenses, so they only sell to the doctors.  The
Manufacturers prefer selling to distributers, sell to doctors when they
have to, but if they could sell to consumers, they probably wouldn't.

		       Sparky