[net.consumers] A coupon query

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Ken Arromdee) (03/16/86)

I keep seeing coupons that say "cash value 1/20 cent" or something similar.
Does anyone know what it means (you bring in 2000 coupons and get a dollar
in cash?  Somehow that doesn't sound right) ?  Is there some legal requirement
which requires that coupons have a cash value?
--
Kenneth Arromdee                                               |      |
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM, INS_AKAA at JHUVMS                 -|------|-

dsn@umcp-cs.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) (03/17/86)

In article <2236@jhunix.UUCP> ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Ken Arromdee) writes:
>I keep seeing coupons that say "cash value 1/20 cent" or something similar.
>Does anyone know what it means (you bring in 2000 coupons and get a dollar
>in cash?  Somehow that doesn't sound right) ?  Is there some legal requirement
>which requires that coupons have a cash value?

Could it be an indication of the *real* value of the product they want you
to buy?  :-)
--

Dana S. Nau,  Comp. Sci. Dept.,  U. of Maryland,  College Park,  MD 20742
dsn@maryland		seismo!umcp-cs!dsn		(301) 454-7932

tkoppel@isis.UUCP ( News Guest) (03/19/86)

...In article <2236@jhunix.UUCP> ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Ken Arromdee) writes:
...>I keep seeing coupons that say "cash value 1/20 cent" or something similar.
...>Does anyone know what it means (you bring in 2000 coupons and get a dollar
...>in cash?  Somehow that doesn't sound right) ?  Is there some legal requirement
...>which requires that coupons have a cash value?

This goes back a long ways to a class in business law that I took about
8 years ago...for a contract to be valid, both sides must get something
of value (I think the legal term is 'Consideration').  Anyhow, by assigning
a value (even 1/20 of a cent), the conditions of a contract are being met--
that is, you are accepting their offer to buy their product at a reduced
price, and they are getting the coupon with is worth 1/20 of a cent,
which is 'valuable consideration'.

--
Ted Koppel : Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries : 303-750-9142
           : hao!nbires!isis!tkoppel